TSN: Phaneuf asked to waive No-Move clause | Update: He said no.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
you guys are crazy if you think we are going to give vegas Methot or Ceci.

Most likely we trade something to have LV not pick them or we trade Ceci

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
It would have worked better if we'd just drafted every single good defenceman over the past decade, but we have to work with what we have when we have it.

No sense in playing "shoulda, woulda, coulda" at this point. Focus on what we can do now, not what we could have done last year.

To be fair, I was suggesting that course of action last offseason. It was already a very viable option that would have helped then and now, but you're right that it's too late now.

That said, adding another D at this point may cost us less than doing it after the Expansion draft, the problem is we have to balance things out. If we give up enough to land a Dman better than Ceci, or Methot, we just lose the new guy, so best case scenario is we end up with the status quo.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Who are teams who can actually acquire a defenseman and protect them?

Colorado if Beauchemin is asked to waive or is bought out.

Buffalo maybe depending on how comfortable they'd be going 4-4.

Columbus if the Clarkson side deal includes a provision that guarantees who Vegas will select from them already...although I doubt they'd need Methot, their D is pretty solid and they might want to allocate funds to adding a forward instead.

Dallas sticks out to me. I'm not all that familiar with their situation so there might be an under the radar player they want to protect, but despite missing the playoffs they have a very solid core and a stable LD like Methot could be a huge addition for them.

New Jersey? Thin enough up front to go 4-4 if needed.

TB, but only if it is Ceci as they've apparently needed a RD for a long time.

Toronto....this one would be kinda funny though.

SensHulk

May 31, 2016
San Jose, CA
Remember Vegas has a cap limit as well that they can draft....it's not a guarantee that they would take Methot due to his age and cap hit. All depends on some of the other moves Vegas makes.

Besides, lots of mock drafts show them preferring to take a younger dman like Claesson. I hope the sens try to make a deal with Vegas to not select either of those guys but it's not the end of the world even if Methot is selected and I certainly wouldn't sell the farm on it.

SPF6ty9

Feb 22, 2016
Caca Poopoo Peepee Shire
Lets just send the pick to Vegas and keep Methot and lose (probably) Claesson. I'm a fan of Claesson as most are, but I'd still pay a 2nd and Claesson if it means keeping Methot. I think Claesson's playoff performance is overrating what he'll actually be able to provide on the regular in the future.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Remember Vegas has a cap limit as well that they can draft....it's not a guarantee that they would take Methot due to his age and cap hit. All depends on some of the other moves Vegas makes.

Besides, lots of mock drafts show them preferring to take a younger dman like Claesson. I hope the sens try to make a deal with Vegas to not select either of those guys but it's not the end of the world even if Methot is selected and I certainly wouldn't sell the farm on it.

I still like the idea of protecting 4 and 4, which would probably mean losing one of Pageau or Smith with the off chance of MacArthur, or Ryan getting picked.

Turris, Hoff, Stone, Brassard, Karlsson, Phaneuf, Methot Ceci.

Would suck losing Pageau the most, so that's likely who they pick, but White, Brown, Chlapik make some solid depth to replace him long term, Smith likely slots back in as 3rd line center short term.

Alternatively, protect the standard guys and hope they see Methot as too old/expensive to select, though I imagine they'd grab him and trade him.

We might also be able to trade for a Dman, maybe even and upgrade after the draft; Vegas will probably have some extra ones kicking around...

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Meh ,losing Methot isnt fun but we do have a wealth of LHD .Also his 4.9 sticker can be used elsewhere:nod:

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013

Vegas doesn't have to want Methot for themselves. They've been pretty clear about their willingness to auction off any unprotected players. This means that anybody we leave exposed we're not just leaving them exposed to Vegas, we're leaving them exposed to teams who are willing to acquire those players from Vegas in a trade.

Assuming Methot is the odd man out and we aren't making a side deal with Vegas, the choice Ottawa has to make right now is whether the return via trade prior to the expansion draft for Methot is worth more than their second best available exposed player. It's that simple.

We won't know who Vegas is going to take, so if you think Claesson is our most valuable exposed player after Methot, that's who you have to measure the return against. So if for example a team like Dallas is willing to flip us the 29th pick in the entry draft for Methot prior to expansion and we feel 29th is worth more than Claesson, we take that return and lose both of them. If the best offer prior to the draft for Methot is a 3rd, and we feel Claesson is worth more than that, we pass and just expose Methot hoping for the best.

UnHappyDude

Fire Dorion
Jan 11, 2011
Next year Phaneuf will be bombarded with a series of boo’s raining down on him like arrows piercing his very soul. He has singlehandedly undermined the teams position going into the draft and he will never be forgiven! Shame on you Dion! Shame! Vegas doesn’t even like you! Its like he couldn’t stand the rejection of being available and not taken. Like the wallflower at senior prom in the 50’s no one wants you so he stays home to avoid rejection.

Pancakes Pancakes

Aug 3, 2005
Tank Nation
Who are teams who can actually acquire a defenseman and protect them?

Colorado if Beauchemin is asked to waive or is bought out.

Buffalo maybe depending on how comfortable they'd be going 4-4.

Columbus if the Clarkson side deal includes a provision that guarantees who Vegas will select from them already...although I doubt they'd need Methot, their D is pretty solid and they might want to allocate funds to adding a forward instead.

Dallas sticks out to me. I'm not all that familiar with their situation so there might be an under the radar player they want to protect, but despite missing the playoffs they have a very solid core and a stable LD like Methot could be a huge addition for them.

New Jersey? Thin enough up front to go 4-4 if needed.

TB, but only if it is Ceci as they've apparently needed a RD for a long time.

Toronto....this one would be kinda funny though.

I remember doing my homework a couple weeks ago and there were a few teams that at this point, would be unable to meet the minimum player requirements. They would be a good target to trade a D man too. I don't remember said teams though. I think Carolina might be one, but they are deep with young Dman talent already.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Next year Phaneuf will be bombarded with a series of boo�s raining down on him like arrows piercing his very soul. He has singlehandedly undermined the teams position going into the draft and he will never be forgiven! Shame on you Dion! Shame! Vegas doesn�t even like you! Its like he couldn�t stand the rejection of being available and not taken. Like the wallflower at senior prom in the 50�s no one wants you so he stays home to avoid rejection.

I don't see this as likely at all. It's a pretty pathetic reaction to a player whose contract was negotiated in good faith and who would rather stay and help the team win than risk having to start from scratch in a city he doesn't know with teammates he doesn't know. I'd wager Sens fans as a whole are rational enough not to blame the guy for doing what's in his best interests.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
what piece of **** this guy is. Ego before team, does he actually think Vegas would take his contract on with no extra incentive like a pick or something?

Whenever the sens are playing in their own end and Methot is on the ice I can always say to myself everything is going to be alright this guy is the best defensive player on the Ottawa roster. Whenever we lose this guy the sens are ****, when he lost his finger the sens almost fell out of a playoff spot. When he missed a season to back issues sens missed the playoffs.

Ceci has to be traded its Dorions time to pull the trigger on Duchene, Druin. Ceci + White + 1st should do it for one of them. If you can't do anything via trade Methot > Ceci > Pageau. You go 4+4, and give Pageau an ugly contract and hope vegas doesn't take him.

**** you phaneuf.

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
I remember doing my homework a couple weeks ago and there were a few teams that at this point, would be unable to meet the minimum player requirements. They would be a good target to trade a D man too. I don't remember said teams though. I think Carolina might be one, but they are deep with young Dman talent already.

The thing is, teams aren't going to give us a good asset for Methot just to expose him. They'll just find someone on their team who meets the requirements and extend them for cheap while bribing them with an extra year or something. Similar to what we might have to do with one of Pyatt/Wingels/Stalberg if we end up protecting Ryan or Burrows and need to have another forward that meets the requirements.

If I am misunderstanding what you're saying, my bad.

MSSLYNX

Jul 27, 2009

Phila has a protection d spot wide open. I'm sure Hextall will look to fill that spot.

UnHappyDude

Fire Dorion
Jan 11, 2011
I don't see this as likely at all. It's a pretty pathetic reaction to a player whose contract was negotiated in good faith and who would rather stay and help the team win than risk having to start from scratch in a city he doesn't know with teammates he doesn't know. I'd wager Sens fans as a whole are rational enough not to blame the guy for doing what's in his best interests.

Everyone knows there is 0 risk Vegas takes Phaneuf. There are going to be so many preferable D options available and his contract makes him unauctionable. Zero chance he is taken.

Raiderman74

Sep 27, 2009
This is an exciting turn of events. I have no bad will towards Dion. It's his right. What makes it exciting, it the potential for a Ceci trade. I wonder what type of player you could get back for Ceci.

Toronto: Kapanen
Tampa : Point
Oilers : Eberle and 2nd
Philly : Konecny

I'm not sure but we aren't getting Drouin for just Ceci.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Oiler fan here. I was wondering what it would cost to get Ceci off you guys?

I know you don’t want to give him up obviously, but what would it take?

The tendency around here is people hoping to use him in a trade for an impact forward.

Ceci++ for Drouin is a typical wishlist trade, where the ++ is usually a prospect like White or Brown, and a pick, either a 1st or a 2nd rounder.

From the Oilers, I imagine most would love to add a bunch and try to land Draisaitl (certainly not happening), or perhaps Puljujarvi (probably a long shot here too). Given Ottawa's cap/budget situation I very much doubt guys like Eberle or RNH would draw any interest though.

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
Next year Phaneuf will be bombarded with a series of boo’s raining down on him like arrows piercing his very soul. He has singlehandedly undermined the teams position going into the draft and he will never be forgiven! Shame on you Dion! Shame! Vegas doesn’t even like you! Its like he couldn’t stand the rejection of being available and not taken. Like the wallflower at senior prom in the 50’s no one wants you so he stays home to avoid rejection.

I'll cheer him.

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
Everyone knows there is 0 risk Vegas takes Phaneuf. There are going to be so many preferable D options available and his contract makes him unauctionable. Zero chance he is taken.

You're asking him to gamble the rest of his career on that?

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
This is an exciting turn of events. I have no bad will towards Dion. It's his right. What makes it exciting, it the potential for a Ceci trade. I wonder what type of player you could get back for Ceci.

Toronto: Kapanen
Tampa : Point
Oilers : Eberle and 2nd
Philly : Konecny

I'm not sure but we aren't getting Drouin for just Ceci.

I really like Konecny. Would mind a deal revolving around those two if a deal had to be made and there's no chance of adding to Ceci to land a Drouin or similar level player.

Still would prefer if we can keep ceci and Methot somehow though.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I really like Konecny. Would mind a deal revolving around those two if a deal had to be made and there's no chance of adding to Ceci to land a Drouin or similar level player.

Still would prefer if we can keep ceci and Methot somehow though.

Not sure Philly would be trading F for D with Provorov/Ghost on the roster and Sanheim/Morin/Myers on the cusp of breaking in.

Denny47

Dec 27, 2010
Ottawa
You gotta expect this isn't shocking news to Dorion and he was planning for both scenarios. It's possible he's had discussions regarding a Ceci trade, but that would have to happen very quickly.

I don't see us getting a return on Methot that would justify us losing Claesson as well. My guess is as good as yours' but, unless a side deal is made, have to think if things stay the way they are, we lose Methot to LV. Leaving us with the hope that Claesson can slide back up with EK on the top pair and play to the level he did down the stretch, with some camp battles for that 3rd pair

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad