TSN: Phaneuf asked to waive No-Move clause | Update: He said no.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

SensBrawler

Jun 24, 2013
Here we go...

Sucks that we probably won't be able to keep our top four together, but it's Phaneuf's right to use it. He has a NMC for a reason.

Hopefully we can get a good asset for Ceci or Methot. Ceci's probably more valuable on the trade market, but I have a hunch that Methot will be the one traded. I guess Dorion could do a side deal with Vegas, but we have so few picks this year that it may be difficult.

Rysto

Oct 3, 2009
The badlands
I really don't know why anybody expected Phaneuf to waive. Basically no upside for him. Arguments like "it's for the good of the team" aren't going to fly, especially when waiving means that there's a good chance that waiving would mean that he wouldn't be part of the team going forward.

Senateurs

Let's win it all
Feb 28, 2007
I would trade Ceci in a heart beat or simply leave him exposed. There is a bunch of other defensemen just as good if not better than Ceci that will be available.

There is not a lot of player like Methot in the league.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
I hope we don't lose Methot, but I'm also very happy that this is a good news story about a guy NOT wanting to leave. After the Alfie, Spezza and Heatley debacles, it's nice to be a place where people want to be again.

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
At least we've got a guy that wants to play for Ottawa

Does he not realize that if our defense is gutted we won't have a conference final team?

So Fleury screws himself out of 8 mil for a team who is desperate to kick him to the curb, and Dion won't waive a NMC for a contract that probably won't be picked up anyway?

Lovely.

SensBrawler

Jun 24, 2013

I guess this is another option. I don't want to lose Phaneuf either, but I guess it would save us some money. On the other hand, I doubt many teams would take his contract.

Another thing to consider is that even if we trade one of Ceci, Methot or Phaneuf, we could still lose Claesson in the expansion draft. That would really hurt our defensive depth.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Wade Redden: The Sequel.

Not remotely the same thing. Redden was at the end of his contract and was going to move on anyways ala Sundin but still wouldn't waive. Even then, that would have been Redden's right. With Phaneuf he has years left, so if Vegas takes him he has to be okay with living there for the next half decade.

I get being disappointed because this might end up hurting the Senators roster, but I don't get anyone blaming Phaneuf. He negotiated for that NMC in his contract, the Sens traded for him knowing it was there. At this point if you're pissed at Phaneuf, you're getting pissed because a person wouldn't risk possibly uprooting their entire family and living somewhere they don't want to be for the next 4-5 years.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Does he not realize that if our defense is gutted we won't have a conference final team?

So Fleury screws himself out of 8 mil for a team who is desperate to kick him to the curb, and Dion won't waive a NMC for a contract that probably won't be picked up anyway?

Lovely.

Getting mad at a guy, who wants to stay with our team, for using his NMC is foolish.

They were protecting Murray, even if they had to waive Fleury.

Chabot will replace whomever we lose.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013

I guess this is another option. I don't want to lose Phaneuf either, but I guess it would save us some money. On the other hand, I doubt many teams would take his contract.

Another thing to consider is that even if we trade one of Ceci, Methot or Phaneuf, we could still lose Claesson in the expansion draft. That would really hurt our defensive depth.

There was a market for Phaneuf w/ salary retained before Toronto traded him to us. Some people might be against retaining on a contract that long, but it really makes no difference. If we keep Phaneuf, we have a D-man who is overpaid by 2M, if we trade him we keep Methot who if you combine his salary with the retained salary from Phaneuf would be overpaid by a similar amount. Whether we keep Phaneuf, or we trade him and retain while keeping Methot, we are overpaying by 2M. So we should do whichever is better for the team.

We have a logjam at LD, so although a lot of people are high on Claesson, we would still have Phaneuf, Chabot, Boro, Englund, Harpur all as NHL ready LDs if we lose Methot+Claesson. Same thing if we alternatively trade Phaneuf, just replace him with Methot.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
No guarantee. Could be picked and traded too. He's gotta look out for #1.

If it were so easy enough to trade him and the asset coming back would be valuable enough that Vegas would use their pick on him, we'd just trade him instead of Methot or Ceci.

Too bad he isn't interested in waiving, would have solved our problem.

I predict Methot getting dealt over Ceci. Looking forward to the reactions...

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
Getting mad at a guy, who wants to stay with our team, for using his NMC is foolish.

They were protecting Murray, even if they had to waive Fleury.

Chabot will replace whomever we lose.

It's frustrating.

Ceci is easily the worst of our top 4 but because of his age and deal he's going to be protected.

So we are likely then now losing Methot, who was an absolutely key defensive force during the playoffs. Look, I'm optimistic about Chabot too but he's not gonna step in and just replace Methot. Plays a totally different game as well.

This could easily be a big step back for us this coming year.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
So basically we're exactly where we were 6 months ago - under the assumption that we're going to lose one of Methot or Ceci, unless we trade them first.

I still like the sneaky ideal of trying to trade FOR a defenceman at this point - if teams are in a rush to deal extra blueliners because they'll lose one in the expansion draft and are ready to deal them at a discount rather than lose them for nothing to Vegas... well, let's take that discount! Sure, we'd still have to expose them, but we'd essentially be replacing a defenceman at a discount before the draft, instead of paying full price after losing one after the draft.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
To Vegas:
Calgary's 2nd rounder

To Ottawa:
Future Considerations

Vegas selects Dzingel in the expansion draft.

You think that might work?

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
my concern is trading Methot or Ceci and who knows what the return would be, but I'm not convinced it will be a D-man, and then also losing Claesson too.

Leaves the team with a much less snazzy blueline.

Phaneuf - EK
Chabot? - Ceci
Harpur - Wideman
Boro

yup, definitely not as good.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
So basically we're exactly where we were 6 months ago - under the assumption that we're going to lose one of Methot or Ceci, unless we trade them first.

I still like the sneaky ideal of trying to trade FOR a defenceman at this point - if teams are in a rush to deal extra blueliners because they'll lose one in the expansion draft and are ready to deal them at a discount, let's take that discount. Sure, we'd still have to expose them, but we'd essentially be replacing a defenceman at a discount before the draft, instead of paying full price after losing one after the draft.

Would have worked better had we opted to go after a UFA dman last year; sign Goligoski or Yandle (he got too much from Florida, so not really an option) and have them all year, lose one of our top 4 to LV this year.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Would have worked better had we opted to go after a UFA dman last year; sign Goligoski or Yandle (he got too much from Florida, so not really an option) and have them all year, lose one of our top 4 to LV this year.

It would have worked better if we'd just drafted every single good defenceman over the past decade, but we have to work with what we have when we have it.

No sense in playing "shoulda, woulda, coulda" at this point. Focus on what we can do now, not what we could have done last year.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
If it were so easy enough to trade him and the asset coming back would be valuable enough that Vegas would use their pick on him, we'd just trade him instead of Methot or Ceci.

Too bad he isn't interested in waiving, would have solved our problem.

I predict Methot getting dealt over Ceci. Looking forward to the reactions...

Vegas can retain while we probably cant with the contracts we need to sign soon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad