Confirmed with Link: Pettersson Signs 8 Year Deal with the Vancouver Canucks, AAV $11.6M

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
the team will never tell us why. Doesn't change the fact that:
a) he has an injury that did not heal since Jan.
b) actually is a logical reason why his speed decrease, his shot went to shit, his balance went to shit and he skated less
c) this management now has a history of letting players with major injury play (Mik and Petey now).

Also I think most players prefer rehab option over surgery because rehab time is longer, your body is not the same again and needs time to get used to and there is always additional risk with opening your body up.
We don't know if it was a major injury. And again, if it was a major injury that caused such a massive decline in the Pettersson's play, and could be healed by rest, why wasn't he rested when the playoffs were all but guaranteed?

doesn't explain why tocchet was throwing him under the bus for his effort and claiming there was no injury
Ya. The only way you can reconcile the injury with Tocchet's comments was that the injury was pretty minor and not a primary factor for his poor play.

Reactions: Nomobo

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
I will absolutely take this opportunity to dunk on the people who vehemently insisted Petey wasn't injured, and was just being "lazy" or "depressed" or something.

It was quite visually obvious his mobility was impaired, particularly his skating. Now we know he had a nagging knee injury since January that got progressively more painful.

Is BobbyMiller guy gonna take his big L?
Yep. Every time his play has dropped significantly in his career he was battling something. Now they may want him to battle through it better but sometimes you simply can't. Nothing about his career has suggested a lack of work ethic etc.

Again, I figured we'd hear something after the season no matter what was being said publicly. It may have simply been making sure no one targeted his injury. Or a host of other things. You never believe anything a team says about injury until after the season or they are shut down for the year.

And Tocchet said he had to get going (along with a half dozen other players). Is that a huge "criticism" or is it reality that they team needed everybody to be going to go further in the playoffs? That without offense from EP they would struggle to put goals on the board? Tocchet certainly wasn't happy with how the media ran with the comment. He specifically said he might have to consider how he answers questions if that type of stuff happens again.

Last edited:

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
We don't know if it was a major injury. And again, if it was a major injury that caused such a massive decline in the Pettersson's play, and could be healed by rest, why wasn't he rested when the playoffs were all but guaranteed?

Ya. The only way you can reconcile the injury with Tocchet's comments was that the injury was pretty minor and not a primary factor for his poor play.
People literally asked the same question about playing Mik when he had a torn ACL…
This management group has shown so far that they are fine with letting players play even if they are pretty injured. I think that really has to stop.

Toc lied to our face, it’s as simple as that. He said not injured, fact is he was/is injured.

• Love
Reactions: mossey3535

supercanuck

Mar 2, 2016
Will probably never know but I remember being at the first LV game and noticing that his skating was very labored already. Upon checking the date, that was Nov 30th. Hopefully, the injury is not worse than he is letting on.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
How many people were actually arguing as you suggest, or are you just enjoying throwing up a strawman to knock it down?

For my part, and I think for most on here, the question was whether he had a significant injury that was causing his poor play. And I thought, on a balance of probabilities, based on the available evidence, that he didn't. His acknowledgement that he was playing through a knee injury doesn't entirely address that since we don't know how bad the injury was, and how much it caused his poor play.

To put things another way, if Pettersson's knee injury, which can be healed through rest, was causing him to be a 50 point player from a 100 point player, then why the hell wasn't he rested at all from January to the end of the season when the Canucks were pretty much guaranteed a playoff spot? It doesn't make sense.
1. It is absolutely not a strawman. People were literally calling him lazy, or a guy who just wanted to get the bag and then do nothing. People literally said he was depressed and didn't want to be in Vancouver. I'm not making anything up here.

2. Based on how he could move around, visually, I assessed that likeliest scenario was that he had a lower body injury. I was correct. People who thought he had no injury were wrong.

3. I dunno why they didn't rest him. They should have. But this is the club that thought playing Mikheyev for 3 months with a torn ACL was a good idea, so I'm not sure their injury management policy is something to point to positively.

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
People literally asked the same question about playing Mik when he had a torn ACL…
This management group has shown so far that they are fine with letting players play even if they are pretty injured. I think that really has to stop.

Toc lied to our face, it’s as simple as that. He said not injured, fact is he was/is injured.
You didn't answer my question.

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
1. It is absolutely not a strawman. People were literally calling him lazy, or a guy who just wanted to get the bag and then do nothing. People literally said he was depressed and didn't want to be in Vancouver. I'm not making anything up here.
I don't think too many who thought this? I can only think of one poster, who frankly, should be ignored.

2. Based on how he could move around, visually, I assessed that likeliest scenario was that he had a lower body injury. I was correct. People who thought he had no injury were wrong.

Again, this wasn't really the issue that was at hand though. It was whether he had an injury that was causing his bad play. We still don't know that and we are left with some pretty irreconcilable facts. I for one recognized that he may have had an injury (let's be honest here, players playing through minor injuries are not uncommon), I just didn't think, on a balance of probabilities, that his injury was causing his bad play. And I am still not convinced of this. And I think his reference to his "shit" play over the last few months is telling as well.

3. I dunno why they didn't rest him. They should have. But this is the club that thought playing Mikheyev for 3 months with a torn ACL was a good idea, so I'm not sure their injury management policy is something to point to positively.
Different injuries and different players in terms of importance. And totally different seasons. Mikeyev played through his injury at a time when, presumably, management hadn't given up on the season. But I agree it never made much sense.

Petey played through his injury when it was all but guaranteed that the Canucks would make the playoffs. And other players were rested during this time when they were injured.

Again, the facts don't line up here if Pettersson's injury was significant and causing his bad play. The facts do make sense if Pettersson's injury was a minor, lingering injury that wasn't causing his bad play.

You are asking a question that only the team can answer. Do I look like the team?
You seem happy to speculate on lots of things only the team or Pettersson know (i.e., it was a major injury). I am not sure why you can't speculate on this question?

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
a knee injury you can play through for months without rest and that does not need surgery is a little weird. pretty much any knee injury not requiring surgery can be made worse if you play on it without taking time to let it heal.

i wonder if he fully popped an acl and has elected not to have surgery after mikhayev's experience.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
I will absolutely take this opportunity to dunk on the people who vehemently insisted Petey wasn't injured, and was just being "lazy" or "depressed" or something.

It was quite visually obvious his mobility was impaired, particularly his skating. Now we know he had a nagging knee injury since January that got progressively more painful.

Yes.

This was so f***in stupid. And a lot of them were the same folk who refused to eat crow the last time Petey had a slump with his wrist injury.

Bgav

We Stylin'
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2009
Vancouver
a knee injury you can play through for months without rest and that does not need surgery is a little weird. pretty much any knee injury not requiring surgery can be made worse if you play on it without taking time to let it heal.

i wonder if he fully popped an acl and has elected not to have surgery after mikhayev's experience
Tocc said it was tendinitis

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
Again, this wasn't really the issue that was at hand though. It was whether he had an injury that was causing his bad play. We still don't know that and we are left with some pretty irreconcilable facts. I for one recognized that he may have had an injury (let's be honest here, players playing through minor injuries are not uncommon), I just didn't think, on a balance of probabilities, that his injury was causing his bad play. And I am still not convinced of this. And I think his reference to his "shit" play over the last few months is telling as well.

How can you not think this though? When so much evidence has been and is there?

Coming off his previous injury... he looked like crap and it took him a while to get back.

Have you seen him trying to skate? Trying to shoot?

I do think it would also help him to have better linemates, and that confidence plays into it... but it plays into it that when you are not as good from injury, you start to lose confidence.

So does a knee injury cause you to be f***ing useless on the pp as well?

No it somehow only effects full strength Hockey... any type of man advantage and he was good... should have just pulled the goalie when he was on...

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...

Tocchet should've made him a healthy scratch & just use a lame excuse to explain his absence (to maintain secrecy of injury). But then again, he just won the Jack Adams so I'll have to defer to his way of handling it.

Tocc said it was tendinitis
The old Pat Quinn line of "upper/lower body injury".:laugh:

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Can't wait for 1.5 years from now, after EP scores 100 points and wins the selke, when he gets injured again, slumps and the narrative resurfaces again that he was forced into his contract and is the most enigmatic player in NHL history.

Pettersson said himself he wasn’t bad, he was shit. The good thing is he’s taking full accountability and not sugarcoating it, will likely have a huge off season in terms of physical fitness and strength training. Tocchet said he’s going to work closely with a few guys over the Summer, guaranteed EPs one of them.

Reactions: Nomobo and Flik

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
Pettersson said himself he wasn’t bad, he was shit. The good thing is he’s taking full accountability and not sugarcoating it, will likely have a huge off season in terms of physical fitness and strength training. Tocchet said he’s going to work closely with a few guys over the Summer, guaranteed EPs one of them.
Turns out knees are somewhat important for playing hockey at an elite level.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
They gotta run one of those offseason rehab->re-injured in December->requires surgery->onto LTIR for 4 months as the team accrues cap space->load up for the playoffs type of capers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad