Peterborough Petes 2023-24 Season Thread (Part One)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
I would add Donovan McCoy to the list as well. I think you could get some really good offers for him. Sadly this team is showing who they really are and they need a clear reset here. When Beck and Purdeller go to the World Juniors this team will not be able to do anything. reload the draft cupboard with everything you can and try to get some young pieces in here. if we fall to a top 10 or top 5 pick in this draft then so be it because that will help us immensely. We won an OHL Championship and we should all be happy and make the right decisions so we aren't another 17 years before we win it again.
Owen Beck = Traded
Sam Mayer = Traded
Tucker Robertson = Traded
Konnor Smith = Traded
Jonathan Melee = Traded for right offer
Jax Dubois = Traded for right offer
I don’t know how the fans will react to going from a top four team in the first half to potentially missing the playoffs. This is why I believe that they will not trade all their veteran players. They will trade Owen Beck and Sam Mayer, maybe Konnor Smith. They would need to at least get a young forward and defenceman in any deal these deals and at least three, 2nds. Including one in 2024, two or three, 3rds and maybe a 4th and more if they trade Smith. Tucker Robertson is not coming back. That window closed when he was sent to the ECHL and produced right away and earned a promotion back to the AHL. The only way they are trading Jonathan Melee is if they get a younger forward that can contribute right away. I do not think they will trade Donovan McCoy as he is their captain and will likely return as an overage. If they do it would likely be for a defenceman that can step right in. They are not trading Jax Dubois. They cannot tank the team as it could impact attendance in future seasons. Many fans do not understand the OHL cycle. If they were trade all of Beck, Melee, Mayer, McCoy and Smith they would need to bring in at minimum two forwards and two defenceman to replace them in those deals and I am not talking about other team’s scraps.

User13452

Jan 7, 2022
I don’t know how the fans will react to going from a top four team in the first half to potentially missing the playoffs. This is why I believe that they will not trade all their veteran players. They will trade Owen Beck and Sam Mayer, maybe Konnor Smith. They would need to at least get a young forward and defenceman in any deal these deals and at least three, 2nds. Including one in 2024, two or three, 3rds and maybe a 4th and more if they trade Smith. Tucker Robertson is not coming back. That window closed when he was sent to the ECHL and produced right away and earned a promotion back to the AHL. The only way they are trading Jonathan Melee is if they get a younger forward that can contribute right away. I do not think they will trade Donovan McCoy as he is their captain and will likely return as an overage. If they do it would likely be for a defenceman that can step right in. They are not trading Jax Dubois. They cannot tank the team as it could impact attendance in future seasons. Many fans do not understand the OHL cycle. If they were trade all of Beck, Melee, Mayer, McCoy and Smith they would need to bring in at minimum two forwards and two defenceman to replace them in those deals and I am not talking about other team’s scraps.
Even if they do trade a few guys they aren’t likely to miss playoffs. They’ve built enough of a cushion now even if they were to play 500 hockey the rest of the way they won’t miss

Reactions: Section5Petes

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
Is there something in the water up there? Petes and Gens, 2 trades in one decade! Who'd a thunk!!!
I am thinking this could be part b of the Connor Lockhart trade. Ryder MacIntyre was injured when the Lockhart trade happened and the return seemed low for Connor so they might of agreed at the time to make a future trade for a player coming to us to complete it.

PuckStop75

Feb 21, 2019
Even if they do trade a few guys they aren’t likely to miss playoffs. They’ve built enough of a cushion now even if they were to play 500 hockey the rest of the way they won’t miss
the playoff cutoff is usually around 60pts, they could play 0.350 hockey the rest of the way and get there (30 of a possible 90 pts in remaining games). With the strength in the west this year the cutoff number could even be lower as the winning percentage in the cross over games is heavily favoring the western teams at the moment.

Section5Petes

Nov 14, 2022
RW Ryder McIntyre will wear #21 for the Petes and will debut tomorrow night at the PMC vs the North Bay Battalion!
1701467785503.png

ptbopete

Oct 4, 2009
Peterborough, ON
I haven't seen a reason why we traded for Ryder McIntyre other than possibly it rounds out the Lockhart deal? To replace Binnie? Neither of those reasons have been verified yet so does anyone know why we did this?

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
I haven't seen a reason why we traded for Ryder McIntyre other than possibly it rounds out the Lockhart deal? To replace Binnie? Neither of those reasons have been verified yet so does anyone know why we did this?
I think the trade was made for a few reasons. We only have twelve forwards on the roster, Owen Beck and possibly Tommy Purdeller will be leaving for World Junior Tournaments shortly and we need depth at forward. It is not to replace Quinn Binnie.

Section5Petes

Nov 14, 2022
I think the trade was made for a few reasons. We only have twelve forwards on the roster, Owen Beck and possibly Tommy Purdeller will be leaving for World Junior Tournaments shortly and we need depth at forward. It is not to replace Quinn Binnie.
should be though:laugh::laugh:

but yes we needed some depth. paid for a veteran forward for really nothing. i think he’s gonna do pretty good with the Petes. just have a weird feeling about it

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
should be though:laugh::laugh:

but yes we needed some depth. paid for a veteran forward for really nothing. i think he’s gonna do pretty good with the Petes. just have a weird feeling about it
Also adds an element of size and toughness that the Petes could potentially be trading off their roster in the coming weeks. Good value trade but have to think it could be predicated by moves that are left to come.

Section5Petes

Nov 14, 2022
Also adds an element of size and toughness that the Petes could potentially be trading off their roster in the coming weeks. Good value trade but have to think it could be predicated by moves that are left to come.
I think that’s what this is. bodies are gonna be shipped out and some deals may only bring back picks so this gives us a competent OHLer into the fold

Reactions: Bra Wavers

Section5Petes

Nov 14, 2022
Tonight’s lines:
McCue-Beck-Purdeller
Melee-Dubois-McCallum
Pagé-Lefebvre-McIntyre
Faulkner-Partridge-Binnie

Mayer-Cameron
Smith-McCoy
Gauvreau-Velliaris

Bowen

Zebra

Feb 12, 2017
Last time we played these guys 6 of our lads ended up in the box at the same time

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
It’s quiet in here….

Saginaw with the big comeback tonight against London. With Sapovaliv, Haight, and Hay down the middle there right now, what are the odds they’d look seriously at Beck? I see them more likely looking on the wings and defence. More depth overall than star power.

I’m wondering if Kitchener is the right team? They have Rehkopf and Sop as well as Mercer. Mercer seems fine on the 3rd line but there may be some room there. May be a tough sell But if Sop moves to #3 and Beck slides into #2?

Sudbury doesn’t seem as likely right now. Three of their top 5 scorers are doing it from the centre position. I think Mayer makes more sense for them at this point.

Sault looks like the most in need of the perceived buyers. They have last year’s top pick as well as this years that are both inconsequential players to their current roster. Both are centres.

Would Guelph trade Bauchesne? That may be a solid option. They could use Beck for sure. They may be the one in most need that may be looking to buy.

This one may be a VERY BIG LONG SHOT but if Ottawa does find a landing spot for Donoso, it opens a second OA spot. Ottawa needs a good right side D-Man and a centre that plays both sides of the puck. Mayer and Dubois are both from Ottawa. What sort of package woudl it honestly take?

Last edited:

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
It’s quiet in here….

Saginaw with the big comeback tonight against London. With Sapovaliv, Haight, and Hay down the middle there right now, what are the odds they’d look seriously at Beck? I see them more likely looking on the wings and defence. More depth overall than star power.

I’m wondering if Kitchener is the right team? They have Rehkopf and Sop as well as Mercer. Mercer seems fine on the 3rd line but there may be some room there. May be a tough sell But if Sop moves to #3 and Beck slides into #2?

Sudbury doesn’t seem as likely right now. Three of their top 5 scorers are doing it from the centre position. I think Mayer makes more sense for them at this point.

Sault looks like the most in need of the perceived buyers. They have last year’s top pick as well as this years that are both inconsequential players to their current roster. Both are centres.

Would Guelph trade Bauchesne? That may be a solid option. They could use Beck for sure. They may be the one in most need that may be looking to buy.

This one may be a VERY BIG LONG SHOT but if Ottawa does find a landing spot for Donoso, it opens a second OA spot. Ottawa needs a good right side D-Man and a centre that plays both sides of the puck. Mayer and Dubois are both from Ottawa. What sort of package woudl it honestly take?
What about Ewles, Kelly, 2nd, 4th for Mayer and Dubois

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad