Peterborough Petes 2023-24 Off-Season Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

User13452

Jan 7, 2022
Had to laugh at Kingston being up 6-2 and rolling out their first unit power play with a two man advantage and less than a minute to play in the game.

Kingston player made a fool of himself celebrating a completely meaningless goal to make it 7-2 with four seconds remaining.
If that was game 50 of the season I’d say totally uncalled for but that fact that it’s game 1 and they probably have only had practice reps with a 5 on 3 I’m fine with it. You also want your powerplay feeling good to start off the season

Reactions: Section5Petes

NorthernVoice

Oct 5, 2017
It's interesting to me that in a world where 95% teams run 4F1D on the power play, the Petes rolled out five forwards on the first unit than 3F2D on the second. What's the opposite of innovation? I don't think there is a true PP QB on this team, so I sort of understand why they tried Aiden Young there but I think he'll get picked apart for chances the other way like he was tonight if they keep that long term.

I'll bet Cameron is in that position sooner than later, even if he doesn't have the best shot or is the best passer, he's just your best overall player at the point and he can facilitate things enough to make it work and not get burnt the other way (reminds me of the Leafs trying to replace Morgan Rielly on PP1 every single year but he inevitably gets it back just by making smart, simple plays and not getting burnt/being smart enough to recover defensively if he does).

The penalties killed the Petes anytime they got any momentum going. It was just a non stop parade. That's kind of been a thing throughout the Wilson era and having Burchell in the stripes just makes everything worse. They weren't going to win anyway but the moments where you thought "maybe?" were just immediately stifled by either a meathead penalty (team takes the personality of the coach) or a somewhat marginal one (Burchell...) The 4th and 5th goals in particular just took all the life out of the game. I did some work on my phone during a lot of the third.

NorthernVoice

Oct 5, 2017
Kingston player made a fool of himself celebrating a completely meaningless goal to make it 7-2 with four seconds remaining.

I agree however I thought it was pretty funny celebrating up 7-2.. now if they were down 7-2 I’d have a different reaction lol

It was a classless move.

I was actually gone by this point but the game sheet tells me it was Luke McNamara, so it all makes sense now... though I can't imagine a world he's on their top PP, looks like it was a hybrid unit

NorthernVoice

Oct 5, 2017
Taylor - McCallum - McIntyre line -4 tonight... (the SHG and all three GA at even strength). I get that they had to match up against Battaglia/Hopkins/Soto but with last change at home, you'd think you could get a more defensive oriented line out against them (we really think Cado going to suddenly commit to shutting down the opponents #1 line?)

leafs4life94

Jan 15, 2014
Was a hybrid unit. Rookie Adam Kelly was on it too and burns who is on pp2
I'm not sure if I'd even call it a hybrid unit - the first unit was on when they scored the first PP goal and was Pieniniemi, Uronen, Battaglia, Soto and Guindon.

The fact that McNamara did his little glove drag with 5 seconds left in the game after Hopkins scored a beauty and had no celly was tells you all you really need to know...

Reactions: frontsfan67

Ryan Christensen

Mar 8, 2019
This team is going too be God awful I'd we don't play some degree of defense. Was not on bowen at all was left out on an island by every defensive guy on the roster

NorthernVoice

Oct 5, 2017
Partridge isn’t OHL caliber imo. Didn’t mind parish and levac at all tonight
Agree on point A but I'd like to see Cadorin in. Parish was around in the action quite a bit in limited minutes.

The fact that McNamara did his little glove drag with 5 seconds left in the game after Hopkins scored a beauty and had no celly was tells you all you really need to know...
Yeah we're all dancing around it but let's just be real and say it, McNamara is an idiot.

Reactions: frontsfan67

NorthernVoice

Oct 5, 2017
This team is going too be God awful I'd we don't play some degree of defense. Was not on bowen at all was left out on an island by every defensive guy on the roster
Bowen was frequently out of position as well. He made some huge highlight reel saves for sure but there were also times where he wasn't set up squared at all and got fortunate.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad