Peterborough Petes 2023-24 Off-Season Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

HabsPetes119

Sep 22, 2024
It’s easy to scratch Sztsuka especially on
back to backs when he won’t need to backup. He will play Thursday Mcyintre will likely be scratched and then Friday Bowen will start and Johnston backup
If Bowen is really going to be the guy give him the home opener. He needs to know the team is behind him. If we are going to do the overage rotating circus again this year give Sztutska the road game this week.

User13452

Jan 7, 2022
If Bowen is really going to be the guy give him the home opener. He needs to know the team is behind him. If we are going to do the overage rotating circus again this year give Sztutska the road game this week.
Well they still wanna win so as long as Sztuska is here he’s gonna get the better team on the back to back

Reactions: Section5Petes

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
Definitely a spot for Novotny on that top wing spot. Ideally next season that third line combo moves up to your second line and Novotny replaces Mcyintre spot

Taylor-McCallum-Novotny
Young-Fitzgerald-Addy
Speaking of Novotny.....I know it's early but after 4 games on the 4th line he is averaging just 8:40 TOI per game with 3 SOG, 4 Pims, no points and he's a -1.

His team, Mountfield HK in the Extraliga in the Czech Republic, is 0-4 so the pressure will be on for wins which could mean even less TOI than he has now.

I don't think this means Novotny will be coming to the Petes this season but come next year I'm sure Novotny, his agent, his family and NHL scouts would be happier if he is playing in North America during his draft season.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Speaking of Novotny.....I know it's early but after 4 games on the 4th line he is averaging just 8:40 TOI per game with 3 SOG, 4 Pims, no points and he's a -1.

His team, Mountfield HK in the Extraliga in the Czech Republic, is 0-4 so the pressure will be on for wins which could mean even less TOI than he has now.

I don't think this means Novotny will be coming to the Petes this season but come next year I'm sure Novotny, his agent, his family and NHL scouts would be happier if he is playing in North America during his draft season.
Going to make a prediction he comes over halfway through the year just like Martin Chromiak did for kingston

Petesfan8

Dec 18, 2017
In case there was any doubt about how hilariously steep the gap is between the OHL and OJHL, Quinn Binnie has 10 points in 6 games as was named captain of the Pickering Panthers.

And truly, good for him, you can never question the effort he put in here.
I hope the kid continues to do well. I agree you could never question his compete level.

WillardJFredricks

May 7, 2004
In case there was any doubt about how hilariously steep the gap is between the OHL and OJHL, Quinn Binnie has 10 points in 6 games as was named captain of the Pickering Panthers.

And truly, good for him, you can never question the effort he put in here.
I really wanted to see him get a goal last season. He was always working, that's for sure.

NorthernVoice

Oct 5, 2017
Alright, I had <insert whatever the current respiratory virus going around is here> over the last few days and entirely too much time on my hands, so let's see your 24-25 Petes Predictions

For all, prediction is for time in Peterborough ONLY (if you're expecting trades, plan accordingly)

Stats categories (give specific numbers)

Points Leaders:
1 -
2 -
3 -
Goals Leaders
1 -
2 -
3 -

Most PIM -
Most PPG-
Most PPA -
Most PPP -
Most SOG -
Most SHG -
Best +/- -

Most DMan points -
Most rookie points -
Most fights -
Caden Taylor goals -
Colin Fitzgerald points -

General categories (list player names)

20 goal scorers -
50 point players -

Most Goalie starts -
Most Goalie wins -
Highest SV % -

Team wins -
Team finish (conference) -

Coaches Poll Nominees (
categories here) -
Carson Cameron NHL draft position -
Petes players drafted in 2025 -

NorthernVoice

Oct 5, 2017

Points Leaders:
1 -
Melee 62
2 - McCallum 58
3 - Lefebvre 57
Goals Leaders
1 -
Lefebvre 32
2 - Taylor 30
3 - McCallum 25

Most PIM -Strohack 132
Most PPG- Taylor 13
Most PPA - Melee 17
Most PPP - Melee 22
Most SOG - Lefebvre 249
Most SHG - McCallum 3
Best +/- - Gowan -6

Most DMan points -Cameron 38
Most rookie points -Fitzgerald 49
Most fights - Strohack 5
Caden Taylor goals - 30
Colin Fitzgerald points - 49

20 goal scorers -
Lefebvre, Taylor, McCallum, Melee, McIntyre
50 point players - Melee, McCallum, Lefebvre, Taylor

Most Goalie starts -Bowen
Most Goalie wins - Bowen
Highest SV % - Bowen

Team wins -26
Team finish (conference) -8th (this will take some luck and shootout points)

Coaches Poll Nominees (categories here) -
- Improved Player, Taylor
- Hardest Worker, McCallum
- Hardest Shot, Taylor
- Shot blocker, Cameron
- Defensive defenceman, Cameron
Carson Cameron NHL draft position -34th overall
Petes players drafted in 2025 -Cameron, Taylor, Addy, Young, McCallum (re-entry)
------

Ultimately, I still think/hope this is a playoff bubble team. I think we see real steps forward from the 07 forward group and that Melee, McIntrye and Lefebvre are probably all a bit underrated in terms of OA forwards and each bring unique skill sets. Fitzgerald makes an impact right away and McCallum and Page round out a top 9 that all told has a nice mix of skill/speed (though the high end skill is still mostly quite young) and size/toughness (lots of guys in that group willing to mix it up physically and I think Cadorin may be a complete pain in the ass for opponents as well).

In goal, I don't think it will be significantly different from last year. I'm a huge Sztuska fan but I get why they go with Bowen from a roster construction perspective if that's what the decision is. The team played way better defense in front of him last season for whatever reason (post deadline Sztuska saw 50+ shots 18 of 20 times, where Bowen did only in 5 of 11 games).

Defense... I see it likely being a work in progress early in the year but I think as the season goes on this group will be much better than the one that finished last season. With all due respect to the Haley, Velliaris, Woulds and even Gauvreau, I think that the skill and talent level of this year's group is much higher. Gowan and Jenken both look to be solid two way guys who can take care of things in their own zone and get the puck up ice with good transition skills, and that was sorely missing last year post-Mayer and McCoy. I'm not sure if there is an offensive breakout coming for Cameron or not but his two way game will be strong no matter what. Strohack is going to be a Wilson favourite and Matejicek and Ladds both looked improved to me in camp.

Is this all a bit too optimistic? Maybe. They did only win two games after the trade deadline so it is a steep steep climb and I think if it is a playoff team, it's because they leap a couple teams post Christmas/trade deadline.

Overall though, I just like the mix of players a lot better and think that with that mix of skill, speed, size, toughness all around here, you can see the path a lot clearer now for how this becomes a winning team again and that really wasn't the case as they played out the string last year with the aforementioned departed D, plus Leek, Binnie, Quick, etc...

NorthernVoice

Oct 5, 2017
I don't even think a team as bad as the Petes would finish first in the OJ. I think Leamington or Trenton would beat them
Peterborough would go 68-0. Trenton's leading scorers are all guys who were taken in like the 12th round and never made it or played 50 some games, put up 3 points and then got cut. Like Binnie (who doesn't deserve to catch strays here but it's extremely telling that he has 10 points in 6 games in the OJHL after putting up 4 in 103 games in the OHL).

And it's not like those OJHL teams are full of guys waiting to go to US schools. If they were good enough to play in the OHL, they would be playing in the OHL, as many tried and failed to do.

I honestly don't know what to do with such an unbelievably bad take other than assume it comes from someone with an axe to grind against the OHL or played in the OJHL and "is sure they could have made it" in the O.

ScoutLife4

Nov 28, 2023
Peterborough would go 68-0. Trenton's leading scorers are all guys who were taken in like the 12th round and never made it or played 50 some games, put up 3 points and then got cut. Like Binnie (who doesn't deserve to catch strays here but it's extremely telling that he has 10 points in 6 games in the OJHL after putting up 4 in 103 games in the OHL).

And it's not like those OJHL teams are full of guys waiting to go to US schools. If they were good enough to play in the OHL, they would be playing in the OHL, as many tried and failed to do.

I honestly don't know what to do with such an unbelievably bad take other than assume it comes from someone with an axe to grind against the OHL or played in the OJHL and "is sure they could have made it" in the O.
I don't know i'd go as far as saying 68-0.
Trenton is a team that is known to stack as many top older players as they can every season.
They may be able to steal a couple against a younger team but i agree the skill gap is incredibly large.,

NorthernVoice

Oct 5, 2017
I don't know i'd go as far as saying 68-0.
Trenton is a team that is known to stack as many top older players as they can every season.
They may be able to steal a couple against a younger team but i agree the skill gap is incredibly large.,
Maybe, I just think the older guys in the O are also such a huge order of magnitude better that it would cancel out and not even be close. Like Chase Lefebvre is what, a mid-tier OA in the OHL maybe? He had 6 goals in three exhibition games this year against weaker lineups that are still light years better than any OJHL team,. Is he not getting a hat trick every single night at that level?

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
For all, prediction is for time in Peterborough ONLY (if you're expecting trades, plan accordingly)

Points Leaders:
1 - McCallum 80
2 - Lefevbre 65
3 - Melee 62

Goals Leaders
1 - Taylor 32
2 - Lefebvre 28
3 - McCallum 25

Most PIM - Strohack
Most PPG- Taylor
Most PPA - McCallum
Most PPP - McCallum
Most SOG - Taylor
Most SHG - McCallum
Best +/- - Cameron

Most DMan points - Cameron 45
Most rookie points - Fitzgerald 58
Most fights - Strohack
Caden Taylor goals - 32
Colin Fitzgerald points - 58

20 goal scorers - Taylor, McCallum, Lefebvre, Melee, MacIntyre and Fitzgerald
50 point players - McCallum, Lefebvre, Melee, MacIntyre, Young and Fitzgerald

Most Goalie starts - Bowen
Most Goalie wins - Bowen
Highest SV % - Bowen

Team wins - 28
Team finish (conference) - 8

Coaches Poll Nominees (
categories here) -
Carson Cameron NHL draft position - 2nd round
Petes players drafted in 2025 - 6
[/QUOTE]

Section5Petes

Nov 14, 2022

Points Leaders:
1 -
Melee 62
2 - McCallum 58
3 - Lefebvre 57
Goals Leaders
1 -
Lefebvre 32
2 - Taylor 30
3 - McCallum 25

Most PIM -Strohack 132
Most PPG- Taylor 13
Most PPA - Melee 17
Most PPP - Melee 22
Most SOG - Lefebvre 249
Most SHG - McCallum 3
Best +/- - Gowan -6

Most DMan points -Cameron 38
Most rookie points -Fitzgerald 49
Most fights - Strohack 5
Caden Taylor goals - 30
Colin Fitzgerald points - 49

20 goal scorers -
Lefebvre, Taylor, McCallum, Melee, McIntyre
50 point players - Melee, McCallum, Lefebvre, Taylor

Most Goalie starts -Bowen
Most Goalie wins - Bowen
Highest SV % - Bowen

Team wins -26
Team finish (conference) -8th (this will take some luck and shootout points)

Coaches Poll Nominees (categories here) -
- Improved Player, Taylor
- Hardest Worker, McCallum
- Hardest Shot, Taylor
- Shot blocker, Cameron
- Defensive defenceman, Cameron
Carson Cameron NHL draft position -34th overall
Petes players drafted in 2025 -Cameron, Taylor, Addy, Young, McCallum (re-entry)
------

Ultimately, I still think/hope this is a playoff bubble team. I think we see real steps forward from the 07 forward group and that Melee, McIntrye and Lefebvre are probably all a bit underrated in terms of OA forwards and each bring unique skill sets. Fitzgerald makes an impact right away and McCallum and Page round out a top 9 that all told has a nice mix of skill/speed (though the high end skill is still mostly quite young) and size/toughness (lots of guys in that group willing to mix it up physically and I think Cadorin may be a complete pain in the ass for opponents as well).

In goal, I don't think it will be significantly different from last year. I'm a huge Sztuska fan but I get why they go with Bowen from a roster construction perspective if that's what the decision is. The team played way better defense in front of him last season for whatever reason (post deadline Sztuska saw 50+ shots 18 of 20 times, where Bowen did only in 5 of 11 games).

Defense... I see it likely being a work in progress early in the year but I think as the season goes on this group will be much better than the one that finished last season. With all due respect to the Haley, Velliaris, Woulds and even Gauvreau, I think that the skill and talent level of this year's group is much higher. Gowan and Jenken both look to be solid two way guys who can take care of things in their own zone and get the puck up ice with good transition skills, and that was sorely missing last year post-Mayer and McCoy. I'm not sure if there is an offensive breakout coming for Cameron or not but his two way game will be strong no matter what. Strohack is going to be a Wilson favourite and Matejicek and Ladds both looked improved to me in camp.

Is this all a bit too optimistic? Maybe. They did only win two games after the trade deadline so it is a steep steep climb and I think if it is a playoff team, it's because they leap a couple teams post Christmas/trade deadline.

Overall though, I just like the mix of players a lot better and think that with that mix of skill, speed, size, toughness all around here, you can see the path a lot clearer now for how this becomes a winning team again and that really wasn't the case as they played out the string last year with the aforementioned departed D, plus Leek, Binnie, Quick, etc...
I absolutely love this idea! I also love the optimism and with how young this team, they should play pretty free with still a limited amount of pressures. There is undoubtedly going to be some growing pains but hopefully the pain is worth it in a couple seasons (🏆). Let me give it a shot (I will probbably be way off) and I hope you are feeling better!

Points Leaders:
1 -
Braydon McCallum (74)
2 - Jonathan Melee (72)
3 - Aiden Young (63)
Goals Leaders
1 -
Caden Taylor (42)
2 - Chase Lefebvre (36)
3 - Braydon McCallum (29)

Most PIM - Grayden Strohack
Most PPG - Caden Taylor
Most PPA - Braydon McCallum
Most PPP - Braydon McCallum
Most SOG - Caden Taylor
Most SHG - Chase Lefebvre
Best +/- - Braydon McCallum

Most DMan points - Carson Cameron
Most rookie points - Colin Fitzgerald
Most fights - Grayden Strohack
Caden Taylor goals - 42
Colin Fitzgerald points - 41

20 goal scorers - Taylor, Melee, McCallum, Lefebvre
50 point players - McCallum, Melee, Taylor, Lefebvre, Young

Most Goalie starts - Zach Bowen
Most Goalie wins - Bowen
Highest SV % - Bowen

Team wins - 28
Team finish (conference) - 8th

Coaches Poll Nominees (
categories here) - McCallum hardest worker, Best shot + shootout scorer Taylor,
Carson Cameron NHL draft position - 2nd round
Petes players drafted in 2025 - Cameron, Taylor, Young, Addy, McCallum

Donnie740

May 28, 2021
Had to laugh at Kingston being up 6-2 and rolling out their first unit power play with a two man advantage and less than a minute to play in the game.

Kingston player made a fool of himself celebrating a completely meaningless goal to make it 7-2 with four seconds remaining.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Bowen despite the 7 goals played very well tonight. If he brings this the whole season he’s going to be very good. Fronts could’ve had 15

Had to laugh at Kingston being up 6-2 and rolling out their first unit power play with a two man advantage and less than a minute to play in the game.

Kingston player made a fool of himself celebrating a completely meaningless goal to make it 7-2 with four seconds remaining.
I agree however I thought it was pretty funny celebrating up 7-2.. now if they were down 7-2 I’d have a different reaction lol

Regardless glad they didn’t quit. They quit a lot of times in the third last year and blew leads

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013

It was a classless move.

NorthernVoice

Oct 5, 2017

Could have been the perception of a couple dirty hits (I don't think they were too bad but could have come off that way).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad