Peter Holland

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

waingr0

May 14, 2010
He can play a good possession and cycle game. If he doesn't have an option for a pass in the neutral zone he tends to circle back and wait for a better option to present itself. I like that better than simply dumping it on every chance we get.

He'll learn to soon enough. ;)

thunderhawk905*

9 games with the Leafs and some of you on here are already making bold (40 point 3rd line, 50 - 60 point 2nd line C) predictions...

I think he has done a valiant job so far, but what happens when Bozak and Bolland return?

Let's get real here. C'mon.

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
9 games with the Leafs and some of you on here are already making bold (40 point 3rd line, 50 - 60 point 2nd line C) predictions...

I think he has done a valiant job so far, but what happens when Bozak and Bolland return?

Yeah, it's real bold saying a former 1st round pick (high first round too) that's only 22 years old looks like he could be a decent 2nd/3rd line C... How is calling a guy that's been just under ppg in the AHL (Kadri was around ppg in the AHL) a potential 40-60pt C ridiculous like you're claiming?

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
I think a perfect storm is brewing for Holland to be very insulated to take on a center role with no pressure next year:

JVR(4.25) Kadri(2.9) Kessel(8)
Lupul (5.25) Holland(2.35) Clarkson(5.25)
D'Amigo(0.675) Bolland(3.5) Kulemin(3.5)
McLaren(0.7) McClemment(2) Ashton(0.7)
Orr(0.925)

Phaneuf(7) Girardi(5)
Gardiner(2.5) Franson(3.5)
Gunnarsson(3.15) Tanev(2)
Percy(1.076)

Reimer(4)
Bernier(2.9)

Team Payroll(71.126)
Salary Cap(71.5)
Cap Space(0.374)

Out:
Liles for a 3rd
Raymond for a 2nd
Bozak + Fraser for Tanev + 2nd

We need to free up some cash upfront to spend on the back end. Bolland can step in and play 2C anyways if Holland is feeling the pressure. McKegg/Gauthier/AHLcallup(like a Smith) can fill in for injury. If we are strong on the Wing/Defence/Goaltending and have a solid back up plan for centers, I don't see why we can't let Holland get a chance to thrive, he looks good enough for the opportunity.

Chandrashekhar Limit

From the runaway slave to a modern day king.
Apr 2, 2009
Milky Way

You're right, we should ignore our own thoughts and look towards you for guidance on how to project players.

:facepalm:

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
This doesnt get accepted in any way shape or form. Youd be better with Franson. Plus, Leafs won't trade Bozak after just signing him. Thats bad business.

Grabs, Connolly, etc. Leafs have been moving their top 6 centers after signing them for a few years now...

pSoup

Jul 27, 2010
Grabs, Connolly, etc. Leafs have been moving their top 6 centers after signing them for a few years now...

Those are two examples, and Connolly wasn't moved, I guess technically he was put in the ahl, but we didn't trade him his contract expired. Grabovski was indeed moved out shortly after his contract yes, but I doubt we move Bozak.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Holland just needs playing time right now. This is the perfect time to play him in a role where he can exceed, which is in an offensive role.

Chandrashekhar Limit

From the runaway slave to a modern day king.
Apr 2, 2009
Milky Way
Holland just needs playing time right now. This is the perfect time to play him in a role where he can exceed, which is in an offensive role.

He needs to earn it. So far he has. I take it he will continue to get ice time in some way until Bozak comes back (which will be a while).

Like most kids, he needs to be the weakest link on his line to succeed with relative consistency.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
So far so good, does not look out of place, in time could turn into a heck of a trade.

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
Bumping this, I am expecting lots of "r.i.p. 2nd rounder, Blacker is a stud and I always had faith in him(yeah right)" responses.

But I think he has looked ok, not amazing, and ultimately I want him on the first line with the Marlies, hopefully with Leivo. See what chemistry the two can develop. He does look like a poor man's Jeff Carter, but with questionable finish around the net.

I think he would be down there already if Bolland and Bozak were healthy.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
I've been very critical of giving up a probably 2nd for him, but I have to admit that statistically he's been decent so far, at least compared to our other forwards.

- 3rd after Kessel/JVR in individual points per 60 mins 5v5.
- Team scores 0.872 GF20 with him 5v5, not too far below Kadri's 0.874 and Bozak's 0.982 (if Bozak didn't get all his ice time on the top line I bet he'd be below Holland here).
- GA20 at 5v5 is 0.582, best of all centers other than McClement.
- 6th on team in HARO (offense rating), although Kadri/Bozak/Bolland are all above him.
- 2nd best C after McClement in HARD (defense rating).

Caveats are he's played somewhat sheltered minutes, and these stats are highly team dependent. But they at least show that there's a chance he could be a solid contributor. I think this is consistent with what we've seen from subjective analysis from watching him he is obviously not a game breaker, but he hasn't been a liability either. Perhaps we can eventually either get the 2nd back, or trade Kadri for for an even better return and use Holland as a replacement.

I think it's really important that we give him a legitimate shot on this team though. Otherwise it's another asset gone to waste, as if we bury him in the minors we're likely not going to get back anything more than a mid-late pick.

Last edited:

King85Kong

Playoffs?
Nov 24, 2013
Toronto
I think a perfect storm is brewing for Holland to be very insulated to take on a center role with no pressure next year:

JVR(4.25) Kadri(2.9) Kessel(8)
Lupul (5.25) Holland(2.35) Clarkson(5.25)
D'Amigo(0.675) Bolland(3.5) Kulemin(3.5)
McLaren(0.7) McClemment(2) Ashton(0.7)
Orr(0.925)

Phaneuf(7) Girardi(5)
Gardiner(2.5) Franson(3.5)
Gunnarsson(3.15) Tanev(2)
Percy(1.076)

Reimer(4)
Bernier(2.9)

Team Payroll(71.126)
Salary Cap(71.5)
Cap Space(0.374)

Out:
Liles for a 3rd
Raymond for a 2nd
Bozak + Fraser for Tanev + 2nd

We need to free up some cash upfront to spend on the back end. Bolland can step in and play 2C anyways if Holland is feeling the pressure. McKegg/Gauthier/AHLcallup(like a Smith) can fill in for injury. If we are strong on the Wing/Defence/Goaltending and have a solid back up plan for centers, I don't see why we can't let Holland get a chance to thrive, he looks good enough for the opportunity.

Like all except where's Reilly?

Pretty good lineup :handclap:

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
Slap me silly Sidney, my bump was an epic anti-jinx. Yes, 3 days counts as a bump on a busy Leaf board!

WhatASaveDave

Feb 3, 2010
toronto ontario
Next Year's Lineup

Jvr - Kadri - Kessel
Lupul - Holland - Raymond
Ashton - Bolland - Clarkson
D'amigo - Mcclement - Orr

Phaneuf - _____
Gardiner - Franson
Rielly - Liles

Bernier