GDT: Peter Chiarelli Media Availability

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
I always laugh at how triggered everybody gets at every press conference knowing full well going in that the GM is not going to say anything outside of "I just traded a 7th rounder for Karlsson" that will please anybody. I agree that he sucks but I never have any expectations anymore so I rarely get upset anymore.

Agreed he’s not going to tip his hat towards anything, if anything he uses it as a way to show other gms he’s not desperate. For example before the Reinhart trade, in his pre draft presser he essentially said he would not trade the pick at all, after the draft he said he had talked to the islanders for weeks before the draft.

Everyone freaking about Lucic I don’t get, I bet Lucic isn’t the only player who is dissatisfied after last year, chia probably looked to trade him but nothing made sense, what did you want him to say? He never comments on behind the scenes stuff.

Who was the idiot who asked him if he was trying to acquire krug? Is it his first day? Look at what happpened to benning when he commented on Subban a few years back? It’s completely against the rules.

All in all the presser, like usual, was nothing, said they would like to move the pick obviously for help. Didn’t tip his hat to anything. If he came out and spilled everything he wouldn’t have a job, not that he should anyways....

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Ok, I bet.

But it's really unnecessary to be a revisionist like you're being

Saying Tambo just had bad luck? No. He sucked. Chia sucks. They all suck. They're all were bad at their job.

They do all suck, Chiarelli is furthest away from what he was brought in to do and has arguably damaged the franchise moreso. Deals like Belanger did not handcuff this team long term in any way.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
Yeah. It's kind of astounding, our run of GMs. I know a lot of people are mad at our coaching selections too, but tbh, only Eakins is truly historically bad. McLellan has issues with adapting and line matching, but frankly I think he's still an NHL-level coach. Renney, Krueger, Nelson, all had their warts, but I don't think were that far off of the NHL 'average' level of coaching as far as I can tell at the very least. Only Eakins during this rebuild was truly historically bad.

But the Oilers? Lowe, followed by MacT, followed by Chiarelli. How the **** did we end up with THREE IN A ROW that can very easily be named the worst GM in the league during their tenure?

Yeah, that's what happens when you don't actually fire anyone from your circle of friends. You hire the same garbage over and over.

You think Chia is bad?

Wait until his replacement, GM Buchberger, takes over.

Reactions: Aerrol

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Agreed he’s not going to tip his hat towards anything, if anything he uses it as a way to show other gms he’s not desperate. For example before the Reinhart trade, in his pre draft presser he essentially said he would not trade the pick at all, after the draft he said he had talked to the islanders for weeks before the draft.

Everyone freaking about Lucic I don’t get, I bet Lucic isn’t the only player who is dissatisfied after last year, chia probably looked to trade him but nothing made sense, what did you want him to say? He never comments on behind the scenes stuff.

Who was the idiot who asked him if he was trying to acquire krug? Is it his first day? Look at what happpened to benning when he commented on Subban a few years back? It’s completely against the rules.

All in all the presser, like usual, was nothing, said they would like to move the pick obviously for help. Didn’t tip his hat to anything. If he came out and spilled everything he wouldn’t have a job, not that he should anyways....

Uh he basically did tip his hat by openly saying he's shopping the 10th overall pick for a d-man ... lol.

If Lucic hasn't requested a trade that would be an easy "no" to answer as well.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
You made your point, several times. I clarified what I meant if you bothered to read it, I wasn't chastising the fanbase to make long story short. However you want to interpret it is up to you.

You clearly mocked the reaction and then agreed with fellow posters suggesting the same. ymmv

What did you clarify? That you only sort of "always laugh" at the fanbase here during pressers and felt a need to do that at another bad time? Your post was indelibly, and sadly clear.

I really don't follow what your clarification was. Direct me to the post in which you recant the comment or explain.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Yeah, that's what happens when you don't actually fire anyone from your circle of friends. You hire the same garbage over and over.

You think Chia is bad?

At this point I would take Paris Hilton as GM over what we have in our front office.

It's the worst front office in pro sports. Yes worse than the Cleveland Browns, the Browns don't have the best player in the NFL, what the Oilers are doing would be like missing the playoffs with LeBron James on your team.

Reactions: McAsuno

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
At this point I would take Paris Hilton as GM over what we have in our front office.

It's the worst front office in pro sports. Yes worse than the Cleveland Browns, the Browns don't have the best player in the NFL, what the Oilers are doing would be like missing the playoffs with LeBron James on your team.

Worst management team in all of pro-sports, and it's really not close at all. The Cleveland Browns are *light years* better than our management group.

Reactions: McAsuno and Aerrol

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
You clearly mocked the reaction and then agreed with fellow posters suggesting the same. ymmv

What did you clarify? That you only sort of laughed at the fanbase here and felt a need to do that at a bad time?

I really don't follow what your clarification was. Direct me to the post in which you recant the comment or explain.

Come on, don't be so thin skinned. I made an observation that since the fanbase is so upset already at everything that has transpired (which I said is understandable) that they will be angry at whatever he says which again, I understand.

Don't be so sensitive, I wasn't mocking or chastising the fanbase. I'm unhappy with the situation too just like everybody else here.

Paddy Padlock

Sep 16, 2017
Well not even generational, virtually any other combination of three 1st overalls in a row minus the Yakupov and RNH years gets you a really loaded core.

Stamkos + Tavares + Hall would've been the three no.1 overalls prior, MacKinnon + Ekblad + McDavid are the three no.1 overalls after Yakupov, lol we had to land straight in the middle of 2/3 poor draft years.

We had:

Eberle
Hall
RNH
Klefbom
Schultz
Nurse
Petry
Draisaitl
McDavid
Barzal
Carlo
Puljujarvi
A ton of cap space

How much more do you need? We're like the lottery winner who ends up bankrupt anyway. Nothing can save you from bad management. We drafted Nurse at 7th with Hall, RNH, Eberle, Schultz and Petry. 5 years and Klefbom, Draisaitl, McDavid, Nurse, Barzal, Carlo, Puljujarvi later, we're drafting 10th.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I don't agree. Cleveland is worse

Do the Browns even have a top 5 NFL player on their roster let alone the best football player in the world? No, the Oilers are worse.

Call me back when the Browns have a Tom Brady tier player and still suck.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Come on, don't be so thin skinned. I made an observation that since the fanbase is so upset already at everything that has transpired (which I said is understandable) that they will be angry at whatever he says which again, I understand.

Don't be so sensitive, I wasn't mocking or chastising the fanbase. I'm unhappy with the situation too just like everybody else here.

Fine, so don't make the first post you made which WAS a mocking post. Of course you're going to say you didn't mean that, that was predictable, but you made the post with clear wording. I'm not thin skinned about it, you're a good poster here, but the comment was. jmo, beneath you, and I accordingly confronted it.

Understanding that I have my worst moments as well and get called on it, which again is the way the world spins and sometimes even results in us being better, or trying to be.

Now that we got that resolved some more expected, and perfectly reasonable reactions..

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
Manitoba
We had:

Eberle
Hall
RNH
Klefbom
Schultz
Nurse
Petry
Draisaitl
McDavid
Barzal
Carlo
Puljujarvi
A ton of cap space

How much more do you need? We're like the lottery winner who ends up bankrupt anyway. Nothing can save you from bad management. We drafted Nurse at 7th with Hall, RNH, Eberle, Schultz and Petry. 5 years and Klefbom, Draisaitl, McDavid, Nurse, Barzal, Carlo, Puljujarvi later, we're drafting 10th.
We drafted Barzal and Carlo?

I also find it amusing you included Schultz in there.

Some of you guys :laugh:

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Meanwhile Hall endured nothing but losing here, and still never asked for a trade. Character though, right? Lucic and Chiarelli can both **** off.
I’m sick to death of the Hall/Lucic debate or whatever you call it, what’s done is done, but this really hits the nail on the head. You can drop the mic after that comment.

Reactions: Aerrol and McAsuno

Wretched Oil

Right out of 'er
Feb 19, 2008
Meet the mayor right here. Nothing Chiarelli does is wrong.

Thanks for reminding me he can make trades too and how successful he's been at those.

Thanks for reminding me being miserable is the key to happiness.

If I don't think he loses every trade, I must think he does no wrong, correct? One or the other?

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Thanks for reminding me being miserable is the key to happiness.

If I don't think he loses every trade, I must think he does no wrong, correct? One or the other?
I never said that about you. I was referring to the poster I quoted. Nothing Chiarelli does is wrong in his eyes.

You can be miserable about the team and not miserable in general.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
I never said that about you. I was referring to the poster I quoted. Nothing Chiarelli does is wrong in his eyes.

You can be miserable about the team and not miserable in general.

Actually the Oilers provide regular mirth. I would be tuned in anyway, and an addict, but the unintended levity at least makes for entertainment, if not had on the ice. I just pretend this is the Comedy Channel when these pressers are on and that this is the 12th season of a non award winning sitcom.

I'll take what I can from this Oilers fan collective experience. Black humor about The Oilers is a pretty logical "may as well make some lemonade" type reaction.

I'm here to help.;)

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
He really didnt say anything. Talked alot without saying much. He basically just well said "we're open for anything" but we "might not do anything".

Theres nothing wrong with that statement, but he just doesnt inspire confidence. I said it before at his and Nicholoson's end of year press conference but I dont think theres a plan here. When I watch him, he seems so disengaged from the team. He doesnt sound like he knows the team inside and out. Some of the phrases he says are just odd. The guy is either not that bright or theres so much other stuff going behind the scenes that hes lost his focus or hes just collecting a paycheque. The problems fans and media sees with the team, he doesnt seem to see.

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012

You think Chia is bad?

I think the Oilers org got the wrong idea when they heard "recycling is good for the environment."

Reactions: Senor Catface

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad