GDT: Peter Chiarelli Media Availability

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Actually the Oilers provide regular mirth. I would be tuned in anyway, and an addict, but the unintended levity at least makes for entertainment, if not had on the ice. I just pretend this is the Comedy Channel when these pressers are on and that this is the 12th season of a non award winning sitcom.

I'll take what I can from this Oilers fan collective experience. Black humor about The Oilers is a pretty logical "may as well make some lemonade" type reaction.

I'm here to help.
Admittedly I have to thank the Oilers. I got a ton of gaming done this year thanks to them.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
We literally just needed to go on auto-pilot and ride all of those high picks to become a contender lmao.
We’d still be nowhere because we’d have all our cap tied up in the same types of players. This teams problem is a lack of balance through the lineup. That’s something Chiarelli tried to address but failed. Neither Tambellini nor Mactavish even bothered trying. I get your frustrated. What we have isn’t working. To suggest though, that this team would have been better off keeping Tambellini or Mactavish is ridiculous. Those guys were fired because they failed hard too. Chiarelli’s day is coming too then we’ll start over with somebody else.

ToeMcDrag83

5-14-6-1
Aug 25, 2010
Oil Country
I hate when Stauffer says he "understands the frustration of the fanbase, but McDavid's stat line is a reason for hope next year".
Just because you use the best available shade and quality lipstick, doesn't make the pig you put it on beautiful.
If anything the fact that the rest of the team was not good enough to support the kind of performance McDavid put up last season is more worrisome.

Reactions: Aerrol and McAsuno

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Lol.. He won't answer if Lucic asked for a trade.

So confirmed.. Lucic asked for a trade.

What a baffoon.

The fans will be real nice to Looch this season.. that won't be a distraction at all.

Was for family reasons and Chia doesn’t need to disclose that. But going by the average maturity level of Oiler fans on social media and forums you know they will be all over the guy because they figure it’s their right.

Reactions: McGhost Division

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
We’d still be nowhere because we’d have all our cap tied up in the same types of players. This teams problem is a lack of balance through the lineup. That’s something Chiarelli tried to address but failed. Neither Tambellini nor Mactavish even bothered trying. I get your frustrated. What we have isn’t working. To suggest though, that this team would have been better off keeping Tambellini or Mactavish is ridiculous. Those guys were fired because they failed hard too. Chiarelli’s day is coming too then we’ll start over with somebody else.

I do agree that he has made the defense more balanced since he came. Its not great but its much better than what he started with. But hes really done very little with the forwards. Its basically worse than what he started with. He just hasnt been able to get any cheap wing options which would really improve the depth of the team. He has improved the depth from a prospect/AHL level but hes failed at the NHL level. Guy just makes too many poor decisions.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
I hate when Stauffer says he "understands the frustration of the fanbase, but McDavid's stat line is a reason for hope next year".
Just because you use the best available shade and quality lipstick, doesn't make the pig you put it on beautiful.
If anything the fact that the rest of the team was not good enough to support the kind of performance McDavid put up last season is more worrisome.

The irony is that McDavids presence here has just shone a spotlight on org incompetence. More ironic because the org endeavored to become more functional, adept, and didn't.

Being bad WITH McDavid is of course worse than being bad without.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Do the Browns even have a top 5 NFL player on their roster let alone the best football player in the world? No, the Oilers are worse.

Call me back when the Browns have a Tom Brady tier player and still suck.
That's because they decide to trade picks instead of using their picks

cpsman

Aug 18, 2010
don't remember him being a hart winner two years ago.
you could say Hall would never have won it if he was not traded. he needed the trade to help make him realize he had to grow up.

as for lucic. disappointed he wants out. I really think he'll have a bounce back year.
do you guys think it is likely the fact the spouse hates it here?
He was arguably one of the top 2 or 3 LW in the league at that time though. Don't forget that.

Paralyzer

Oilers Win Cup in 2025
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
More Stauffer genius: "I do not believe Taylor Hall would've won MVP in Edmonton because Connor McDavid is here"

Well gee, good reason to turn your nose at 90 additional points. Wouldn't help the team at all.

Yeah I'm sure Hall would get 90 here running his OWN line. Everyone saw how he played with McDavid and everyone saw a guy who wants to run his own line. Fighting McDavid for the puck instead of playing with him. He's lucky he'd hit 70-80 points here. Not to mention we'd have no defense otherwise too.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Yeah. It's kind of astounding, our run of GMs. I know a lot of people are mad at our coaching selections too, but tbh, only Eakins is truly historically bad. McLellan has issues with adapting and line matching, but frankly I think he's still an NHL-level coach. Renney, Krueger, Nelson, all had their warts, but I don't think were that far off of the NHL 'average' level of coaching as far as I can tell at the very least. Only Eakins during this rebuild was truly historically bad.

But the Oilers? Lowe, followed by MacT, followed by Chiarelli. How the **** did we end up with THREE IN A ROW that can very easily be named the worst GM in the league during their tenure?
Pretty easy answer to that question.

Daryl Katz kept Kevin Lowe employed after he bought the team.

ToeMcDrag83

5-14-6-1
Aug 25, 2010
Oil Country
The irony is that McDavids presence here has just shone a spotlight on org incompetence. More ironic because the org endeavored to become more functional, adept, and didn't.

Bolded truth is what frustrates me the most when Stauffer or other organization pieces speak. You cannot use McDavid as a defense of management.
The aforementioned monkeys suggested a few pages back would've selected him too.

ToeMcDrag83

5-14-6-1
Aug 25, 2010
Oil Country
Yeah I'm sure Hall would get 90 here running his OWN line. Everyone saw how he played with McDavid and everyone saw a guy who wants to run his own line. Fighting McDavid for the puck instead of playing with him. He's lucky he'd hit 70-80 points here. Not to mention we'd have no defense otherwise too.

Your argument is we'd only get 70-80 points instead of 90. Yeah who needs that in their top 6.
He worked very well with Draisaitl. The forward core would be miles better off with him here still.
I like Larsson. He doesn't deserve blame for the trade, by the same token, putting down Hall with terrible, incorrect rationalizations is misguided.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Rewatched the press conference and it looks like Chia is not at all looking st free agency but is looking at trades heavily. Said he has been part of a lot of chatter, teams have been offering forwards for 10oa etc.

Hope it's not the same as lots of teams interested I Maroon and all we get is a 3rd

Paralyzer

Oilers Win Cup in 2025
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
Your argument is we'd only get 70-80 points instead of 90. Yeah who needs that in their top 6.
He worked very well with Draisaitl. The forward core would be miles better off with him here still.
I like Larsson. He doesn't deserve blame for the trade, by the same token, putting down Hall with terrible, incorrect rationalizations is misguided.

Not putting him down. I'm saying he wouldn't garner that many points and would still be in McDavid's shadows. My argument is valid and straight to the point. THis is all "what if's" and fantasies we want to see but it's not ever gonna happen.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

I agree. Doubling down on a bad trade is just dumb.
There is no perspective that can justify that trade.
If Stauffer was smart he would just move on and direct attention elsewhere.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada

I literally refuse to believe being poor with McDavid is anything but proof of total collusion. The standings are doctored to funnel playoff games and players to weak American markets. The owners, officials and players are all complicit.

Ipso facto, John Scott was the MVP of the all star game.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
Hall loved the team and the city. He should have been named captain instead of Ference.

and you talk to 50 people who had to deal with him off the ice and 49 would tell you what a d-bag he was.

if he really did love the city he could have been a better person off the ice.

and you know what? none of it matters not what I say or you say.
what's done is done.

Reactions: McGhost Division

Wretched Oil

Right out of 'er
Feb 19, 2008
I never said that about you. I was referring to the poster I quoted. Nothing Chiarelli does is wrong in his eyes.

You can be miserable about the team and not miserable in general.

Alright, my apologies.

I just have to wonder how long someone can bang their head against something before something gives?
It just looks like a lot of folks take things way too serious, and seem to enjoy being irate.

Hockey is chaos on the ice and a gamble behind the scenes. Player performance is the result of so many factors year to year, and a personal issue can make a GM/coach look like a fool

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006

LOL. They played 75:58 together. That's nothing.

But even if they weren't on the same line, having two players who can tilt the ice on different lines is a good thing too.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Wretched Oil

Right out of 'er
Feb 19, 2008
Take it easy. It's pretty much universally accepted that Chiarelli lost that trade. He should have to answer questions about it.

Once again, people loooooove to bang their heads against the wall..... ouch, ouch, ouch, why? why? why? :)

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
and you talk to 50 people who had to deal with him off the ice and 49 would tell you what a d-bag he was.

if he really did love the city he could have been a better person off the ice.

and you know what? none of it matters not what I say or you say.
what's done is done.
I've never actually talked to someone who had an interaction with Hall and had a bad experience. I hear stories from people who knew a guy who knew a guy

Reactions: Aerrol and McAsuno

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad