Peter Chiarelli Appreciation Thread

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I certainly don't appreciate Chiarelli. Talk about getting overcome by your own positive press clippings. I think Peter is as guilty of that as any Oiler player on the ice. He set himself up for failure this season by refusing to address any of the holes on the roster. Just banking on linear progression throughout the roster and adding first round draft picks is not doing your job. Not even close.

You certainly are. Just ignore the posters who can't handle any criticism of the team.
The Steve Tambellini method. I was really hoping those days were behind us. We're wasting the best player on the planet with a complete tirefire of a bottom 6 and an average defense.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
The Hall for Larsson/Lucic move will basically define Chiarelli's time here.

Either that move works of it doesn't. That move had to propel us to being a contender every year.

If you are in situation a year later where you can't score all of the sudden despite spending $40+ million on Lucic and now suddenly need to sign other "depth players" to have secondary scoring, that trade is a failure IMO.

I think we've already won that trade. Maybe both teams did.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
You know more about drafting rationale than I do but I'm wondering how much of the Pulju high in the draft had to do with the other Finn, Laine. Sometimes I note that attraction to one player leads there to be attraction to other players from same team, country, etc. I don't know that in the specific draft year that Pulju goes that high, or is thought to be that high without the Laine pick.

In anycase the scuttlebuck was that Pulju was almost as talented. That seems not remotely the case.

To be fair to Pulju, prior to their draft years he was the more hyped of the two between Laine and himself. As the season went on the general opinion started to swing towards Laine, but for much of the year it was very much neck and neck between the two of them. It wasn't a case of Laine's hype dragging Pulju with him.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
To be fair to Pulju, prior to their draft years he was the more hyped of the two between Laine and himself. As the season went on the general opinion started to swing towards Laine, but for much of the year it was very much neck and neck between the two of them. It wasn't a case of Laine's hype dragging Pulju with him.
What exactly were people hyping and what could possibly result in Pulju ever being ranked higher?

Laine has a cannon, one of the best shots in hockey. I don't really know much about the player but what is Pulju actualy good at? I'm sure quite a few posters could use an update on what he's doing well. I'll admit to not understanding what he brings.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Soundwave has done a good job giving a synopsis of one problem that Chia bet the production would be OK with Lucic/Eberle/Nuge and without Hall. In that he probably diminished the importance of Hall to the production of Eberle, Nuge.

So that when we traded Hall we essentially lost the consistent production of that whole unit. As I feared we lost more than just Hall. That's what happens when you move a player that drives offense. Fortunately to the club Draisaitl has become a driver. Could you imagine how bad this club would be without that?

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
What exactly were people hyping and what could possibly result in Pulju ever being ranked higher?

Laine has a cannon, one of the best shots in hockey. I don't really know much about the player but what is Pulju actualy good at? I'm sure quite a few posters could use an update on what he's doing well. I'll admit to not understanding what he brings.

People were hyping: elite size and speed. Elite playmaking and vision. A good (not elite) shot. And generally just an extremely high hockey intelligence. These things were on display as a 17 year old in the world juniors where he was as dominant a draft eligible player has been. These qualities weren't just made up.

They just haven't translated to the NHL level or progressed for him against men.

Whether they will or not? Who knows. As time goes on it of course becomes less likely.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
You're half joking I know, but honestly the off season that Chiarelli just delivered is very very Tambellini.
Jokinen, Auvitu and Strome? Really? I dare say even Craig MacTavish would have been more proactive.
I'm actually not joking. Trading a decent asset for nothing and signing a couple spare parts is very Tambellini-esque. I understand that the salary cap prevents Chia from throwing stupid money at players but if you're going to create cap space with moves then use it. Any fan could've seen a slight regression coming. Perhaps not to this degree but we are being forced to use a rookie as our top line RWer, and bottom 6er as our 2RW, and the bottom 6 is just a huge mess that doesn't produce and can't kill penalties. And that's not getting into the defense.

I'd honestly rather Chia go all in this year before McDavid's extension kicks in and then worry about the cap after the season's over. At this rate never mind the Cup, the Oilers won't even make the playoffs. And if the Oilers miss Chia should be fired.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Soundwave has done a good job giving a synopsis of one problem that Chia bet the production would be OK with Lucic/Eberle/Nuge and without Hall. In that he probably diminished the importance of Hall to the production of Eberle, Nuge.
You call that a synopsis? ffs its board pollution and a disservice to your fellow members to keep on posting the same thing over and over and over ....

BlackDogg

There is nothing to do in Mockingbird Heights
Oct 3, 2015
Dear Chia

you have a bit of a mess now ....fix it before its too late.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I'm certainly enjoying the posters who are ready to press the panic button
these people probably are giving Vegas the Cup after 7 games
Or perhaps people are concerned that the lack of activity in the offseason is leading to our current predicament. I'm not hitting the panic button but with that said this doesn't even look like a playoff team right now.

CantHaveTkachev

Accruing Cap Space
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Or perhaps people are concerned that the lack of activity in the offseason is leading to our current predicament. I'm not hitting the panic button but with that said this doesn't even look like a playoff team right now.
Flames had tons of player "improvements" and are .500
Kings barely had any player movement and are leading the division

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Kings made the major blockbuster move of adding Mike Cammalleri, lol. The real reason they are better is their underperforming players like Kopitar and Brown have come to play this year with pride and are playing great.

Good teams don't need massive additions every year, we are being exposed because players like RNH/Lucic can't carry the mail. It was going to become obvious at some point, it just so happens that it's plainly obvious now.

We don't need "additions". We need "replacements" for what Lucic/RNH/etc. were supposed to be. We expected them to be big time players here, they are not.

That is a core problem. That is not a "lets sign a $3 million dollar UFA like Vanek" problem.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Kings made the major blockbuster move of adding Mike Cammalleri, lol.

Good teams don't need massive additions every year, we are being exposed because players like RNH/Lucic can't carry the mail. It was going to become obvious at some point, it just so happens that it's plainly obvious now.
Imagine adding goal scorers to your lineup instead of subtracting them. I'm not sure I'm ready for this bizarro universe.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Imagine adding goal scorers to your lineup instead of subtracting them. I'm not sure I'm ready for this bizarro universe.

Still doesn't address structural problems with how this team is built. Team is built for RNH/Lucic/etc. to step up when McDavid needs help in a fight. They never step up. Ever. This is a structural problem, you can't keep ignoring it.

You're not asking for depth, what you're really asking for is replacement production that we should be getting as is.

No one is giving you a big time scorer for free or low cost either. No one is available in that mold.

Core players have to play like core players. LA's core is stepping up ... ours outside of McDavid is MIA, like it was for most of last year. This is not a new trend here.

There's a difference between asking for a nanny, and wanting a nanny that looks after your kids, you, cleans up after you, goes out with you ... you're not asking for a nanny, lol, you're asking for a wife.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Still doesn't address structural problems with how this team is built. Team is built for RNH/Lucic/etc. to step up when McDavid needs help in a fight. They never step up. Ever. This is a structural problem, you can't keep ignoring it.

You're not asking for depth, what you're really asking for is replacement production that we should be getting as is.

No one is giving you a big time scorer for free or low cost either. No one is available in that mold.

Core players have to play like core players. LA's core is stepping up ... ours outside of McDavid is MIA, like it was for most of last year. This is not a new trend here.
I AM asking for depth. I questioned this team's depth as far back as July when NOTHING was done to address it!

THE ENTIRE BOTTOM SIX HAS ZERO GOALS AT EVEN STRENGTH AND THIS IS NOT A CONCERN?!

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I AM asking for depth. I questioned this team's depth as far back as July when NOTHING was done to address it!

THE ENTIRE BOTTOM SIX HAS ZERO GOALS AT EVEN STRENGTH AND THIS IS NOT A CONCERN?!

Your bottom six is going to go through stretches like that (2 goals/7 games). It happens to every team. And to be fair we've had several injuries there ... Slepyshev missed camp, Caggiula out with a concussion.

Teams that have good offence like Toronto have two lines that score. We don't have that. Didn't have it last year either, it was just masked heavily by certain factors.

This is a one line team. One line teams will struggle with offence. That's just the bottom line. We had bad stretches last year too, but McDavid/Draisaitl would just snap out of it.

The offence you are really asking for is offence we should already have -- from our second line. We should not have problems scoring goals. The problem is that second line. There is something very, very, very wrong with the players on that line. That is the rotting fruit in the patch and that's where your stink is coming from.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Your bottom six is going to go through stretches like that (2 goals/7 games). It happens to every team. And to be fair we've had several injuries there ... Slepyshev missed camp, Caggiula out with a concussion.

Teams that have good offence like Toronto have two lines that score. We don't have that. Didn't have it last year either, it was just masked heavily by certain factors.

Absolutely not. Not a single even strength goal for the entire bottom 6 is a legitimate concern. Kassian? Pakarainen? Letestu? Jokinen? All completely goalless at even strength. You need depth to win and if you can't see that then I honestly can't help you.

I'm not going to put blame on a line that scored ~20 goals each last season when the entire bottom six has contributed exactly NOTHING to this team.

It's truly amazing how having the second worst offense in the league is okay to some people. What are we? New Jersey? Oh wait they're completely killing us in scoring.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad