Peter Chiarelli Appreciation Thread

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
The problem is that now it's probably harder to send him back. I saw an interview that made it clear Pulju was extremely disappointed about him being sent down. Not blaming anyone, but just very disappointed, though he seemed to be getting over the biggest blow. I haven't read many reports, but I was hoping a stronger start in the AHL at least points wise. I think the Oilers have done so much to mess with his head and maybe it's now showing.

It's probably not easy to adjust your game the whole summer for the NHL, hear they're planning to keep you in the team and even got JJ to help him, have a couple of good enough preseason games to show he's got potential and he can do better than some veterans already now, but then being sent down just like that. I believe right now he's going through the process of clearing his head and adjusting to another league, long coach trips etc. It may be a bit similar to what Dubois had last year.
I do not think Puljujärvi should at all be on the team right now. Wasn't ready in camp, hadn't really looked good in the AHL either (not me just stat watching).

He isnt NHL ready and imo. Is at minimum is a year away. Still looks hesitant with the puck. Looks lost most of the time and is inaccurate with his shot.

Lots to work on still.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
The problem is that now it's probably harder to send him back. I saw an interview that made it clear Pulju was extremely disappointed about him being sent down. Not blaming anyone, but just very disappointed, though he seemed to be getting over the biggest blow. I haven't read many reports, but I was hoping a stronger start in the AHL at least points wise. I think the Oilers have done so much to mess with his head and maybe it's now showing.

Do you have a link by chance? I'd love to see that interview.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I think that the ability to draft Puljujarvi also factored into this. Puljujarvi if he hits his potential is a lie driving type. His inability to step in and be an impact player so far has really hurt the big club IMO.
I wonder if the team really even scouted him at all? They fell to him and grabbed him no questions asked.

Wasn't the rumor they wanted Sergachev or Tkachuk at 4?

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
all I see is a very small amount of posters (ie. you) poisoning this "appreciation" thread with non-sense

don't like him? feel free to start a new thread and rip him for all the hindsight moves you don't like
Yeah all the criticism was definitely nonsense. The team is doing great right now and Chia's moves are really paying off!

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
I do not think Puljujärvi should at all be on the team right now. Wasn't ready in camp, hadn't really looked good in the AHL either (not me just stat watching).

He isnt NHL ready and imo. Is at minimum is a year away. Still looks hesitant with the puck. Looks lost most of the time and is inaccurate with his shot.

Lots to work on still.
I still have faith in Pulju being an impact player. The same things were said about Drai before we called him up and he stuck with the team.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I wonder if the team really even scouted him at all? They fell to him and grabbed him no questions asked.

Wasn't the rumor they wanted Sergachev or Tkachuk at 4?

IIRC Sergachev was the guy that they were leaning towards. Puljujarvi definitely has skill, he was a consensus top 3 pick in a strong draft. He still looks like a guy that's growing into his body. His progression seems a lot like Ryan Johansen's so far IMO, he'll get there as long as he can keep his head straight and puts in the work.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
IIRC Sergachev was the guy that they were leaning towards. Puljujarvi definitely has skill, he was a consensus top 3 pick in a strong draft. He still looks like a guy that's growing into his body. His progression seems a lot like Ryan Johansen's so far IMO, he'll get there as long as he can keep his head straight and puts in the work.
I think we would be better off with Sergachev right now

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Yeah all the criticism was definitely nonsense. The team is doing great right now and Chia's moves are really paying off!

Can we at least wait until we are 20 games into the season before losing our collective ****? This team has been playing much better and the Carolina game was the turning point. The offense is not there so that is a concern but the defense has rebounded well the last 2 games as has Talbot. Sooner or later the dam in going to burst and we will score a lot of goals.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I still have faith in Pulju being an impact player. The same things were said about Drai before we called him up and he stuck with the team.
No they weren't, that's revisionist history.

Drai destroyed the WHL and came into camp and looked phenomenal and everyone was straight up confuses that he got sent down.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I think we would be better off with Sergachev right now

At the moment but that could change. He's a year and change out of the draft, far too early to hit the panic button, but the team, coaches, etc. need to be on top of the situation because this is a highly skilled player that we can't afford to ruin.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
those 4 have a combined 4 goals between them with Yak leading the way with 3 goals himself...these guys aren't the answer of our offensive whoa's
What didn't you understand about production depth? All of those guys offer potential production. We've moved in a different direction and ironically, with a team with McDavid, have trouble scoring goals. Its almost mind boggling Chia could manage that but...

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
all I see is a very small amount of posters (ie. you) poisoning this "appreciation" thread with non-sense

don't like him? feel free to start a new thread and rip him for all the hindsight moves you don't like
Seriously? This is a Chia discussion thread. Surely we can Discuss Chia here. Do all the comments in this thread need to be positive or can discussion occur?

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
And this is Puljujarvis.
Draisaitl was much better in year 2 training camp than Pulju was. At this point in Drai's career he was NHL ready and the team sent him down. Pulju isn't there.

I'm not doubting what you say about his play in the AHL at the start of this season. However, you make it sound like Pulju had terrible preseason games. After the last game I didn't see one single negative report about him. And in another game he scored 2+1 (and it should've been 2+2) with him being selected the best player of the game. I also read some reports saying he outplayed e.g. Strome and Caggiula, and in the last game Yamo too.

It's nothing unusual that a 19-year-old player has some areas to improve, but it's forgotten too easily that you guys over here wrote after the last preseason game he looks NHL ready. Maybe you disagreed with that, but that was definitely the overall feeling. That's why, and because of the way he played last autumn, I think it's strange to think he's 1-2 years away from being NHL ready.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
The Hall for Larsson/Lucic move will basically define Chiarelli's time here.

Either that move works of it doesn't. That move had to propel us to being a contender every year.

If you are in situation a year later where you can't score all of the sudden despite spending $40+ million on Lucic and now suddenly need to sign other "depth players" to have secondary scoring, that trade is a failure IMO.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.

You know more about drafting rationale than I do but I'm wondering how much of the Pulju high in the draft had to do with the other Finn, Laine. Sometimes I note that attraction to one player leads there to be attraction to other players from same team, country, etc. I don't know that in the specific draft year that Pulju goes that high, or is thought to be that high without the Laine pick.

In anycase the scuttlebuck was that Pulju was almost as talented. That seems not remotely the case.

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
In anycase the scuttlebuck was that Pulju was almost as talented. That seems not remotely the case.

You can't neglect the fact that the Oilers haven't taken the opposite route to develop the player compared to the Jets. Not comparing the players or starting a war or anything, just saying that these are two almost opposite sides.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
You can't neglect the fact that the Oilers haven't taken the opposite route to develop the player compared to the Jets. Not comparing the players or starting a war or anything, just saying that these are two almost opposite sides.
I'm not sure what you mean. Laine was a stud from his first TC and exhibition season. You couldn't not slot him in the starting lineup. The Oilers would do the same and have done so even with a slight, and less touted Kailer Yamamoto. Had Pulju at all earned it he would be here. Its on nobody but him that he isn't. Chia had practically left an open spot for him and he couldn't make the team this season.

Pulju has not looked ready to be in the NHL. The club has responded accordingly.

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
Do you have a link by chance? I'd love to see that interview.

http://m.iltalehti.fi/nhl/201710112200452473_nh.shtml

It's in Finnish, and now that I read it I realized I remembered some things wrong. I thought it was Pulju's comments, but there was something the writer of the article said and made it sound like it was Jesse's. Here's a quick and rough translation about Jesse's words:

(The article said that a lot of things must be going through the players head, even a return to Europe, even though the player isn't admitting it directly)

Well, a lot of things go through a young player's head, when the disappointment is great. There's no use in commenting this more. I emphasize that I'm not going anywhere, but I'll put in all I can to get back to Edmonton.

(The article says Jesse is ready to mention the reasons why he couldn't make the Oilers' roster, and he went through those things with Chia).

There's no enough strength in man-against-man situations. I believe the kind of consistency in puck controlling isn't quite at the required strength. These are the things it was about, little things decided. These are confidence issues.

A lot of ice time brings reliability/consistency, that's how things get better. And of course through succeeding.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
I certainly don't appreciate Chiarelli. Talk about getting overcome by your own positive press clippings. I think Peter is as guilty of that as any Oiler player on the ice. He set himself up for failure this season by refusing to address any of the holes on the roster. Just banking on linear progression throughout the roster and adding first round draft picks is not doing your job. Not even close.
So I'm not allowed to criticize the management of the team I cheer for?
You certainly are. Just ignore the posters who can't handle any criticism of the team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad