Per Friedman: Coyotes players told team moving to Utah starting next season (Mod warning post #50)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Let's distinguish a lot of stuff in this sentence.

Did the Coyotes cost the league money? Yeah, they did. At least $112 million.

Did the league get some of it back? Reportedly yes. Maybe not all of it. Doesn't matter; part of the "cost" was the league protecting its interests re: ownership and relocation when a team goes into bankruptcy. That was worth every penny spent.

Did it "cost the players money?" No, they got every contractually obligated penny (pursuant to the terms of the CBA) they were due.

Did it cost the players potential money? Sure. But I'm sure that can be said about a number of teams that don't do everything to maximize revenues / take actions to cause revenues to fall short of where they "should" be.

Do the players have any claim to that lost money? NO. The players have no "right to all the possible money they can get" which somehow implies some "right to force teams to maximize revenues for the players' benefit." Just like the players have no right to force a team to play in any location, be competitive to whatever level, ... anything that has to do with how a team operates beyond whatever rights the league grants the NHLPA.

Owe money to the league? Sure, and that will happen. The league will make sure it gets repaid whatever it's currently owed.

To the players, other teams, for "lost money" or "inability to spend more money?" :biglaugh:

Thanks, you proved my point.

Reactions: Coaches Coroner

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Reduction in HRR.
I Googled HRR and the first thing that popped up:

The league is projected to bring in record revenues from the 2021-22 season, likely around $5.3 billion, if not higher, according to NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman when hockey-related revenue (HRR) is officially tabulated.

I think the billionaire-owned teams have been just fine.

Dec 15, 2002
Thanks, you proved my point.
I'm pretty sure I didn't really prove it, and that I could further elaborate on it to show that no matter what some team is always costing the league and the players money in some way, especially since high-revenue teams are perfectly content with lower HRR since it means more profit for them, but ... OK, whatever.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
I'm pretty sure I didn't really prove it, and that I could further elaborate on it to show that no matter what some team is always costing the league and the players money in some way, especially since high-revenue teams are perfectly content with lower HRR since it means more profit for them, but ... OK, whatever.
I like your posts Ted but let's let this one go. Southern bashing is one thing. An owner stiffing people on bills is a reputational risk for the league and the other owners. Merulo is a scam artist and his behaviour makes the NHL look like a garage league.

Dec 15, 2002
There's so much to respond to, but I'm going right after one point:

A Coyotes dispersal draft
Let's kill this idea right here. There's not going to be a dispersal draft. Smyth and SLC aren't paying $1.3 billion for the rights to a franchise that can be relocated, then watch young guys like Clayton Keller, Mattias Maccelli, Logan Cooley, Sean Durzi, Dylan Kuenther, et. al. get shipped out to whoever wants to pluck them, then have to rebuild a roster from whatever scraps the rest of the league is leaving them. Even an attempt to do some hybrid Minnesota / San Jose thing from 1991 isn't happening, because the rest of the teams in the league aren't going to be told "pick from whatever scraps SLC doesn't want" and "now expose some guys that will make SLC better."

I like your posts Ted but let's let this one go. Southern bashing is one thing. An owner stiffing people on bills is a reputational risk for the league and the other owners. Merulo is a scam artist and his behaviour makes the NHL look like a garage league.
What's to let go? Meruelo may be a total douchebag and the NHL may have had to pony up money to cover his ass, and it might have lost money on saving the team back in 2009-12, but it's going to recoup money lent to Meruelo in any sale one way or another. I ... pretty explicitly stated that.

The fact that Meruelo has as much sense running a hockey team as the average garden slug doesn't change the fact that "the players lost money" is irrelevant. The players don't have a claim to
"lost money" from revenues not realized, and no team is out there beating a drum mother f***ing f***, I wish the Coyotes would have generated more money so we'd have had to spend more on player salaries so we'd have made less money / lost more money. Any reputational hit from Meruelo's actions is a sunk cost at this point, you salvage by making the best of this and moving on.

Bottom line: talking about "lost money" is like talking about freedom. Great idea, sounds awesome, ... needs a hell of a lot of context to understand it properly when cited.

Last edited:

BB79

Apr 30, 2011
Having a team play in a college arena that seats a maximum of something like 4,600 people while the rest of the league is around 18,000 is an embarrassment in it's own right.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
Which begs the question - why would Smith even want the Coyotes organization? With the Browns/Ravens organization there was ownership continuity, which isn't the case here. Moreover, taking on the Coyotes means taking on contracts Arizona absorbed to technically get to the floor, but will be problematic for Smith assuming he plans to try and build a contender in the short term.

There really isn't a ton of that left at all. Actually, starting next season, their dead cap situation is a competitive advantage. All they have left going forward:

$2.3m owed to OEL for buyout, over 8 years (cap penalties ranging from 290k-650k per season)
$1.9m combined owed to Nemeth and Kassian for buyouts next season
$3m total owed to Shea Weber over the next 3 seasons

So, that's only $7.2m in real cash, spread out unevenly over 8 years. Meanwhile, Weber and his $7.8m cap hit can be LTIRed* for the next 3 seasons. So, they are at a cap advantage for very little real money.

*Paul Homgren strikes again. Genius.

muddywaters

GO FLAMES GO
Jul 12, 2006
Cedarbrae
I feel bad for the fans caught in the middle ... I like having a team in Phoenix and it sounds like the NHL does too ... why can't they go back to Glendale on a temporary basis until they sort out a new arena ? Is that bridge burned ?

NotASheep

Feb 23, 2019
There are a lot of moving parts going on. But one thing that annoys me it the amount of hatred Frank Servalli is getting from some outlets in Arizona. The guy is a reporter and had 15+ years in the industry. He does not go unless he has the story 100%.

For those saying "he is a not an Arizona beat writer" The coyotes would have buried this so far down and hid it up to the moment they had to announce it. It came from out east--someone out east had enough and decided it was time for the discussion and decided to use Frank S as them outlet

Last edited:

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
I feel bad for the fans caught in the middle ... I like having a team in Phoenix and it sounds like the NHL does too ... why can't they go back to Glendale on a temporary basis until they sort out a new arena ? Is that bridge burned ?

That bridge is more than burned. Glendale doesn't want the Coyotes back at all. That bridge is burned, imploded, sunk into the river, and would take way too much effort to dredge.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
I Googled HRR and the first thing that popped up:

The league is projected to bring in record revenues from the 2021-22 season, likely around $5.3 billion, if not higher, according to NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman when hockey-related revenue (HRR) is officially tabulated.

I think the billionaire-owned teams have been just fine.

Sure, but it's still cost them money. The league could be healthier with a larger salary cap, benefiting all teams

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka

You must be an accountant.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Sure, but it's still cost them money. The league could be healthier with a larger salary cap, benefiting all teams
The cap has more than doubled over the last 20 years and is forecasted to go up another 10% over the next two years.

I'll trust the owners of the other 31 teams (or at least most of them) which wanted the team to stay in Phoenix what's best for business.

So, this doesn't explain why anyone should be excited that a team is leaving a market.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
There are a lot of moving parts going on. But one thing that annoys me it the amount of hatred Frank Servalli is getting from some outlets in Arizona. The guy is a reporter and had 15+ years in the industry. He does not go unless he has the story 100%.

For those saying "he is a not an Arizona bear writer" The coyotes would have buried this so far down and hid it up to the moment they had to announce it. It came from out east--someone out east had enough and decided it was time for the discussion and decided to use Frank S as them outlet

I agree there. Anyone that was honest about the situation would just get insulted. Like Katie Strang. And now we're hearing that the Coyotes are stiffing others AGAIN.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
But surely you get why the players look at the money they lose to escrow, and then see a team playing in a minor league rink, and think what the f***?

archangel2

May 19, 2019
When do you think we will hear more.
Media will say stuff over the weekend. What I think has happened. The NHL asked for a plan B if the land deal fails or is delayed(is is a massive build) and the Arizona owners did not give them a plan B

Bob and 200 others

Apr 30, 2012
So, this doesn't explain why anyone should be excited that a team is leaving a market.
You're coming off as kind of obtuse in this thread. You refuse any explanation given and simply conflate any concerns people might have with "excitement". Like, what do you want from people? Do posters need to couch any and all comments with "empathy" for Yotes fans? Do people need to be careful about what and how they say things for fear of hurting Arizona fans feelings? I don't get what your gripe is at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad