Per Friedman: Coyotes players told team moving to Utah starting next season (Mod warning post #50)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Llewzaher

Aug 2, 2005
North America
If Smith wanted to be a dick and also ensure he gets the team, why wouldn't he outbid Meruelo in the land auction? I imagine he could do it through a shell corporation if he's worried about the optics.
From my understanding and I could be wrong.. is that the Arizona State approved Alex Meruelo s plan of building an entertainment district there. Anyone can outbid him but they have to have a plan in place to build an entertainment district as well. They also have to have a check for 16 million on hand and be able to close in 30 days.

I may have missed some tiny details .. others can correct me but I believe you can’t just outbid him without a plan in place

That was my first question as well

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
NTC are updated every single year. SLC isn't going to be a team this year. They'll be a team next year. So they can add that team to their NTC next year and remove the Coyotes.
The problem and it's easily fixable is if the current club makes trades at the draft.

I said earlier just let players make a one team amendment to their NTC and then it's a non factor.

Reactions: Summer Rose

UncleBlackie

Jul 28, 2020
There are complaints from players, not just from the Yotes but around the league.

Some have no trade clauses that have AZ as a place to get traded to , but obviously won’t have SLC and are concerned .. per Gord Miller
Seriously, like I said before.... DD the Coyotes and let Utah join as a true expansion team. The few players on the Coyotes with NTC's have limited such clauses. They could then use them to ensure they don't land in undesired destinations in any dispersal draft.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Seriously, like I said before.... DD the Coyotes and let Utah join as a true expansion team. The few players on the Coyotes with NTC's have limited such clauses. They could then use them to ensure they don't land in undesired destinations in any dispersal draft.
There’s close to zero chance it’s a dispersal draft, it would e a relocation.

SjMilhouse

Jul 18, 2012
The problem is your are moving the team from an arena that other than the amount of seats , everything else is brand new. (There were issues at the start of last year about the dressing rooms but that has been fixed)

To an arena that may have more seats , but will be the next embarrassment to the league. It will become the third oldest arena, ( after Calgary and The Rangers) it will in no way be suitable for the NHL, players and media will complain once again.

Ryan Smith is building a new arena which will take 9 years

In Arizona a new arena will be built in 5

Players want to be in AZ , they won’t want to be in SLC

You are taking a problem that is in the verge of being dealt with to a whole new problem.
Where are you getting 9 years besides the Olympic bid? The government can basically do anything they want without fear of losing their jobs and Smith is motivated to have a team ASAP. They would fast track this thing immediately in my opinion. I honestly believe they could have a new stadium ready to go fairly close to the current Arizona plan.

Or maybe they delay it who knows. Either way, the reporting has been Smith would at the very least invest in Delta center to make it much more friendly to hockey and it's still better than 5k seats

Last edited:

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Elliotte said one of the outcomes is that they inactivate the Coyotes. Smith doesn't buy the team, doesn't buy the trademarks. Buys the contracts of the employees and they go to SLC.

Llewzaher

Aug 2, 2005
North America
I would hate to disband the team

I follow them from afar, I followed the original Jets since I was just a kid ..

I hope if they do relocate Bill Armstrong goes and keeps the rebuild going

Reactions: robertocarlos

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
Just looking for an answer to your quote:

I just don't see why fans should be happy a team is leaving a market when it hasn't affected your, or anyone's, favorite team. League has great attendance, has signed huge TV deals and has a cap that keeps going up. T

That's all.

It can only improve with relocation from Arizona. Much like any prior relocations, it is going to be tough on the fans who were loyal. For the NHL itself, it can only be a good thing considering the direction the ownership has taken the team. A college arena?

Will the next location be the best choice? Only time will tell.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Highly doubt dispersal draft protects NTC. Thought only NMC did for expansion so I assume it would be same here.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
The problem is your are moving the team from an arena that other than the amount of seats , everything else is brand new. (There were issues at the start of last year about the dressing rooms but that has been fixed)

To an arena that may have more seats , but will be the next embarrassment to the league. It will become the third oldest arena, ( after Calgary and The Rangers) it will in no way be suitable for the NHL, players and media will complain once again.

Ryan Smith is building a new arena which will take 9 years

In Arizona a new arena will be built in 5

Players want to be in AZ , they won’t want to be in SLC

You are taking a problem that is in the verge of being dealt with to a whole new problem.
The difference is SLC knows they're getting a new arena for the Olympics, which could be as early as 2030. Arizona has always been a series of maybes at best, their new arena is as far from a guarantee as you can get.

Playing in an old 14000 seat arena should be far more desirable than a brand new 5000 seat arena.

As for the players angle.. Bettman and the owners want SLC. I think these complaints from the players are far overblown. There wasn't even this much squaking over moving from Atlanta to Winnipeg, and I'll tell ya SLC is an infinitely more desirable location than Winnipeg

UncleBlackie

Jul 28, 2020
Elliotte said one of the outcomes is that they inactivate the Coyotes. Smith doesn't buy the team, doesn't buy the trademarks. Buys the contracts of the employees and they go to SLC.
Basically, like I said before, a Browns/Ravens like "move" albeit (unlike in that transaction) with a new owner in the new city.

I would just ask this... if they do that, couldn't the players with NTC's argue they're being "traded" from Arizona to Utah, and (at least in those cases) veto the move to SLC?

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
I should also mention Alex Meruelo also owns construction and engineering companies, he is building an arena in Las Vegas at the moment ( not sure if this was to bring the AHL team there, or for basketball)
If he runs his construction and engineering firms anything like he runs his hockey team, that arena certainly ain't coming anytime soon

Reactions: TLEH

archangel2

May 19, 2019
NTC are updated every single year. SLC isn't going to be a team this year. They'll be a team next year. So they can add that team to their NTC next year and remove the Coyotes.
Players can update their no trade list whenever they like but they have to be in BY June 30th. If a player has a list--they can notify their team that if Arizona does move they will swap out Team X from list for SLC.

People are making a bigger issue out of this than it need to be right now.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
I would just ask this... if they do that, couldn't the players with NTC's argue they're being "traded" from Arizona to Utah, and (at least in those cases) veto the move to SLC?
I highly, highly doubt the league would let potential NMCs of $7m players like Keller and Schmaltz (I dunno if it's even them, just went with the 2 highest paid Coyotes) derail a $1.2B deal

Transplanted Caper

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2003
Players can update their no trade list whenever they like but they have to be in BY June 30th. If a player has a list--they can notify their team that if Arizona does move they will swap out Team X from list for SLC.

I believe they can only do so once a year. If you submit a list on June 30th that say, didn't have San Jose on it, you can't swap out someone for them mid-season when you see how bad they are. I do agree this probably isn't a *huge* deal considering we're talking about a universe of players who didn't have ARI on their list, who would be of interest TO SLC, and who would have to acquire the player BEFORE the list was updated.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

I believe they can only do so once a year. If you submit a list on June 30th that say, didn't have San Jose on it, you can't swap out someone for them mid-season when you see how bad they are. I do agree this probably isn't a *huge* deal considering we're talking about a universe of players who didn't have ARI on their list, who would be of interest TO SLC, and who would have to acquire the player BEFORE the list was updated.
It’s not explicitly June 30, but likely is for the majority of players. It will be written into the contract.

archangel2

May 19, 2019
This is a misconception. Things change during the year and a player can notify a team they will be changing a team due to change in circumstances. Players can change the list once a season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad