Per Friedman: Coyotes players told team moving to Utah starting next season (Mod warning post #50)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
If indeed Phoenix is guaranteed an expansion team once they get things in order finally -- which I believe is the best course of action for a resolution to this entire situation -- is Meruelo the right owner for the franchise?

Does the league like him? Do Coyotes fans feel happy with him?

I ask because I'm not sure. He may be in line for this, but is that who is even wanted to spearhead the next iteration and endeavour in Phoenix?

Reactions: Ted Hoffman

snag

Feb 22, 2014
The $300m is the relocation fee. They did the same thing with the Thrashers, even if that situation was a bit more direct. True North just paid Atlanta Spirit Group $110m and the NHL $60m directly rather than the team changing hands twice.

I’m sure there are intricate financial details that are making them do it this specific way this time, but in the end it’s exactly the same.

Hmmm.... And what would the expansion to go back to Arizona be? And then they likely get a sweetheart draft deal?

Is it really worth that much to Smith? Think I'd just wait it out for a new team.

Reactions: robertocarlos

Kegu

Aug 12, 2008
gmmhe.png

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Hmmm.... And what would the expansion to go back to Arizona be? And then they likely get a sweetheart draft deal?

Is it really worth that much to Smith? Think I'd just wait it out for a new team.

??? I think Arizona would be better starting point then expansion

A million picks

Cooley.
Keller
Crouse.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Believing implise that there is the option to not accept it and it will go away.
It doesn't matter if we believe in it or not. It doesn't change based on that.

And yes this will play a role in hockey. It already influences Sports in a huge way.
The IOC has trouble finding places for the winter olympics and its only getting worse in the future.
Probably more so countries are turning away from dumping hundreds of millions in tax payer money

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

Except you miss the bus and bettman is already talking to other people. This is waiting for a tv to go on sale and if he doesn’t you just buy it. You want a pro club you either buy it when the chance is there or who knows how long you’ll wait

snag

Feb 22, 2014
Except you miss the bus and bettman is already talking to other people. This is waiting for a tv to go on sale and if he doesn’t you just buy it. You want a pro club you either buy it when the chance is there or who knows how long you’ll wait

And equally a gamble then for Arizona if there is thinking of a new franchise coming back that way when the rink is done, no?

I would assume if they are making any sort of arrangement in this way the price for a new franchise just went up considerably.

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
The Coyotes have actively cost the league and players money.

Everyone who isn't a Coyotes fan should be happy they're moving to greener pastures.
That's what I meant earlier. Yotes owe money and they should pay it out of the billion dollars.

It's been a 28 year long grift because real estate doesn't always go up.

I'll say it. There will never be another NHL team in Arizona. Not even the current Jets.

Llewzaher

Aug 2, 2005
North America
What the next non traditional team will the Canadian media make into a boogeyman?
Salt Lake because the Arena is bad and they won’t have a new one for 8 years ..

Players won’t want to sign there..

Media folks like Daily Faceoff and some on TSN have already been talking about not liking the area..

But honestly it can’t be much worse than EDM WPG or CLG

joelef

Nov 22, 2011
Pretty sure the fiasco in Arizona for 28 years was their issue. I haven't seen much going on regarding most every other franchise.
You don't HAVE to try to stir the pot... The soup is close to being done.
Im moving on to the next chapter. Immwwwiting for
Why? The Coyotes playing in Phoenix doesn’t have any effect on the Leafs, or any other team’s performance. Why should fans be happy?
leafs fans think ticket rices will go down.

Reactions: Ted Hoffman
Dec 15, 2002
The Coyotes have actively cost the league and players money.
Let's distinguish a lot of stuff in this sentence.

Did the Coyotes cost the league money? Yeah, they did. At least $112 million.

Did the league get some of it back? Reportedly yes. Maybe not all of it. Doesn't matter; part of the "cost" was the league protecting its interests re: ownership and relocation when a team goes into bankruptcy. That was worth every penny spent.

Did it "cost the players money?" No, they got every contractually obligated penny (pursuant to the terms of the CBA) they were due.

Did it cost the players potential money? Sure. But I'm sure that can be said about a number of teams that don't do everything to maximize revenues / take actions to cause revenues to fall short of where they "should" be.

Do the players have any claim to that lost money? NO. The players have no "right to all the possible money they can get" which somehow implies some "right to force teams to maximize revenues for the players' benefit." Just like the players have no right to force a team to play in any location, be competitive to whatever level, ... anything that has to do with how a team operates beyond whatever rights the league grants the NHLPA.

That's what I meant earlier. Yotes owe money and they should pay it out of the billion dollars.
Owe money to the league? Sure, and that will happen. The league will make sure it gets repaid whatever it's currently owed.

To the players, other teams, for "lost money" or "inability to spend more money?" :biglaugh:

UncleBlackie

Jul 28, 2020

I've heard this transaction might be given an outward appearance of the Browns/Ravens "move" - i.e. Utah gets an "expansion team" but absorbs the Coyotes organization while the Arizona Coyotes "suspend operations" and go into hiatus but do not fold outright, and return later via expansion draft once they sort out the arena issue.

Which begs the question - why would Smith even want the Coyotes organization? With the Browns/Ravens organization there was ownership continuity, which isn't the case here. Moreover, taking on the Coyotes means taking on contracts Arizona absorbed to technically get to the floor, but will be problematic for Smith assuming he plans to try and build a contender in the short term.

The Coyotes are FAIAP on a twelve year playoff drought, the asterisked playoff appearance of 2020 notwithstanding. Whereas Vegas has missed the playoffs once in seven years and are defending champs, and whereas Seattle made the playoffs and dethroned the defending champs in their second year. If you're being asked to pay 300M premium on top of 1B to join this league, on what terms would you want to join? Not a hard call IMHO.

A Coyotes dispersal draft would also presumably suit most of the players just fine. They're moving in any case. And let's face it, SLC is not Funville USA. Alot of players without NTCs would prefer to head almost anywhere else. And if Schmaltz and Kerfoot can decline to play for ten teams each, why should they be forced to play in Utah if they don't want to?

Finally, this eliminates any perception that the Coyotes have "moved" - all things considered, it seems a logical way to resolve this matter.

Reactions: robertocarlos

MVP of West Hollywd

Oct 28, 2008
I think the regular SLC people would support a hockey team but idk what the corporate support situation is.

The NHL will obviously try in Phoenix again one day but for the love of god don’t go back there as an expansion team in like 3 years. Give it at least 10.

joelef

Nov 22, 2011
I think the regular SLC people would support a hockey team but idk what the corporate support situation is.

The NHL will obviously try in Phoenix again one day but for the love of god don’t go back there as an expansion team in like 3 years. Give it at least 10.
Is alc a “ worthy “ or “ unworthy “ market? idk the criteria

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad