Per Friedman: Coyotes players told team moving to Utah starting next season (Mod warning post #50)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Scomerica

Aug 14, 2020
Seattle, Wa
Not an Arizona fan, but an Arizona native.

I know this place will get a new team most likely, but I'm not sure it will be any better unless they get the Vegas treatment and are gifted a top 5 team from jump street. Vegas has done jack shit to deserve the team they have, but the NHL made it succeed.
Vegas will always have the tourists coming in. Whether it be shows or now a sporting event

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
You're right, because there's no other reason to ask that question aside from trying to shut down that particular line of conversation

You can twist it that way all you want but it's not really going to change anything. Regardless, this particular line of rebuttal that's being used by you and others are simply a childish way of trying to shut down conversation. As if we are so tunneled that we can't have opinions or conversations about something unless we are directly impacted,

At the end of the day, we consume the product known as the NHL. For me personally, I'm a supporter of the NHL and want them to succeed and have viewed the continued existence of the Coyotes franchise in it's current (maybe now former) location as something that has stopped the league from reaching greater potential and is a stain on the leagues image and finances. I'm sure others feel the same.
Ha...shutting down conversation? :laugh: How am I doing that?

All I've said, (well, asked) is why want the team to move, and so far, I haven't gotten a great answer. To your answer, I'd ask (or by your terrible interpretation "shut down" LOL)...you really care for the "greater potential" so much that fans should lose a team?

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
Wonder what they would change it to for salt Lake. It's associated with worker bees but there's a minor league baseball team called that. I doubt they use any thing related to the lds church to appeal to non Mormons. There's mountains but could be too similar to avalanche. I'm assuming they have coyotes there so they may keep that name.
1712778105518.png

My votes are:

The SLC Wheeler Historic Farms
or
The SLC Outdoor Recreation!

• Haha
Reactions: wraithsonwings

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg

I know this place will get a new team most likely, but I'm not sure it will be any better unless they get the Vegas treatment and are gifted a top 5 team from jump street. Vegas has done jack shit to deserve the team they have, but the NHL made it succeed.
Vegas did everything to deserve it, they've got some of the best management and ownership in the league. They absolutely fleeced the rest of the teams on their own. Seattle had the exact same rules and they're mid as can be

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Many team change their names when they move, especially when the name is regional. Note that there isn't a team named the NJ Rockies and the North Stars dropped the North portion when they moved to Dallas

Sure there are some dumb ones like the La Lakers and Dodgers
The Utah Jazz is probably the biggest example of a team that should have changed it's name
Utah Jazz is byfar the worst, and I'll always remember that Baseketball joke. Memphis Grizzlies stands out, but I guess tons of places have animal names that aren't local. Calgary Flames (since it's originally a reference to Atlanta in the Civil War).

"The Minneapolis Lakers moved to Los Angeles where there are no lakes. The Oilers moved to Tennessee where there is no oil. The Jazz moved to Salt Lake City where they don't allow music."

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
SLC is a great town and beautiful. They deserve a team.

So we think they're going to rebrand or stay the Coyotes? And if they rebrand do they go Grizzlies or something new?

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Vegas did everything to deserve it, they've got some of the best management and ownership in the league. They absolutely fleeced the rest of the teams on their own. Seattle had the exact same rules and they're mid as can be

IMO Vegas was helped by it being the first expansion team in almost 20 years. I.e., after McPhee made a mockery of almost every GM, they vowed that it wouldn't happen again so Francis couldn't make some of the same (similar) deals.

Now, he was bit of a tool for not weaponizing his cap space (especially in a. flat cap world) or perhaps making "better" picks at the expansion draft but here we are.

They also should've tried someone with more experience. Francis had what, 4 years GM experience? McPhee was a great pick by Vegas, he'd been around the league forever and had success rebuilding the Caps.

MSZ

Car guy
Oct 5, 2014
Scarborough

No one picked Vegas to make the playoffs before the 2018 season started.

Edenjung

Jun 7, 2018
To be playing in Mullet Arena was an embarrassment to the NHL.

Arizona fans. I think you guys will get a new team. I do wonder how Utah will feel to get given Arizona over just starting fresh with an expansion team.
Dude this is not done.
The team said 5 days ago that the auction is the focus. If that fails they will relocate.
So it makes sense to work on a agreement so that the potential relocation can be quick. Thats good for the league, the team and the current owner.

BUT it does not mean that they will relocate. Its a contingency plan.
And it got leaked to the press that goes nuts about it and does not report neutral enough.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

It's called hiring competent management, such as George McPhee. If you're building a team from scratch, you want a seasoned, veteran executive. Kind of like when the Preds hired David Poile once upon a time.

HolyGhost

May 6, 2016
Buffalo
what the hell pissed of that Arizona Mayor? Seems like there are some bridges have been burned and and some people are pissed off

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Dude this is not done.
The team said 5 days ago that the auction is the focus. If that fails they will relocate.
So it makes sense to work on a agreement so that the potential relocation can be quick. Thats good for the league, the team and the current owner.

BUT it does not mean that they will relocate. Its a contingency plan.
And it got leaked to the press that goes nuts about it and does not report neutral enough.

As per ESPN.....

" the league is skeptical about the Coyotes' newest plan to build an arena in Phoenix, which involved Coyotes owner Alex Meruelo's bid to win a land auction in June."

View attachment 849401

My votes are:

or

SLC Brigham Youngs

Reactions: Llama19

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
View attachment 849401

My votes are:

or

Symbols of the State of Utah
State Bird
California Seagull

State Cooking Pot
Dutch Oven

State Crustacean
Brine Shrimp

State Emblem
Beehive

State Fish
Bonneville Cutthroat Trout

State Flower
Sego Lily

State Folk Dance
Square Dance

State Fossil
Allosaurus

State Fruit
Cherry

State Gem
Topaz

State Grass
Indian Rice Grass

State Insect
Honey Bee

State Mineral
Copper

State Motto
"Industry"

State Mushroom
Porcini

State Rock
Coal

State Star
Dubhe

State Tartan
Utah State Tartan

State Tree
Quaking Aspen

State Vegetable
Spanish Sweet Onion

State Historic Vegetable
Sugar Beet

State Winter Sports
Skiing and Snowboarding

State Astronomical Symbol
Beehive Cluster located in the constellation of Cancer the Crab

State Firearm
John M. Browning designed M1911 automatic pistol

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
As per ESPN.....

" the league is skeptical about the Coyotes' newest plan to build an arena in Phoenix, which involved Coyotes owner Alex Meruelo's bid to win a land auction in June."
There are concerns about all the secondary points for sure, like water, electricity, etc. However, the matter of fact is that most people who want land in the greater Phoenix area during these bidding processes, tend to win it. I don't think the Coyotes' management would show the drawings and business plan and then sell them to Utah a week later. That would be nonsense, even for a shady businessman.

Edenjung

Jun 7, 2018
As per ESPN.....

As i said before, until the fat lady sings and the bell isn't ringing , this isn't over. Regardless of what people write.
We all knew that relocation is plan B. And the league might have told the owner to prepare anything beforehand if he wants to go for the auction.
Right now every big site wants to get the clicks and views and whatever. So for now i don't take them serious. Lets wait a few days and see what happens.

Reactions: Summer Rose

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
This makes the most sense. Once Arizona can secure good owners, a place to play etc, they can expand back to Arizona.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad