Per Friedman: Coyotes players told team moving to Utah starting next season (Mod warning post #50)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
this deal makes no sense as reported. it costs everyone money. merulo loses 300m in value. the owners lose 350m+ in expansion fee value

the owners care way less about arizona being a "respectable" franchise than the fans do. the owners only care about money. it's better for every owner to just put an expansion team in utah and let the arizona circus continue
Expansion fee/relocation fee/NHL markup.. whatever you wanna call it, it's there. If Merulo is getting $1B and the NHL is getting an extra $300m on top there's your expansion fee

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Some posters have pumped up Salt Lake City and made it sound like one of the best cities to live in in the US, so if that's true, then I'm hoping this goes through and that arena sells out.

The Burdened

May 1, 2017
1712777466438368.png

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Some posters have pumped up Salt Lake City and made it sound like one of the best cities to live in in the US, so if that's true, then I'm hoping this goes through and that arena sells out.

The Jazz have sold out over 250 straight games from what I've read. I have no doubts that people would show up to games in Salt Lake City.

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
They started in New Orleans, that is why they are the Jazz.
Many team change their names when they move, especially when the name is regional. Note that there isn't a team named the NJ Rockies and the North Stars dropped the North portion when they moved to Dallas

Sure there are some dumb ones like the La Lakers and Dodgers
The Utah Jazz is probably the biggest example of a team that should have changed it's name

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
What is the unrest? Hadn't heard about that but it's not surprising that the two major competing telecoms can't work together for long

Basically Tannenbaum is holding the whole thing together and hes not going to be around forever. Both sides obviously have a long-term rivalry and its been a marriage of convenience, but Edward Rogers wants to expand his sports portfolio and Bell doesn't really seem to care to stay in sports ownership. They'd make billions off selling their 37.5% to Rogers so it would be great for their shareholders.

Reactions: JKG33

LPHabsFan

Jul 14, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
You not liking their reason for caring does not mean that they don't have a valid reason for caring.

I under the point that you were trying to address "about the stupidity of trying to shut down conversation". In fact, that's what I was responding to initially (go back and read it).

We're traveling in circles.
Good thing circles are my favorite shape 😉

Reactions: Bear of Bad News

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
It really is. It may not be a Vegas or Nashville or Florida for the younger players, but SLC will be the next St. Louis in terms of former players settling there to raise their families. When your politics match that of the majority of millionaire NHL players, there's few American cities more desirable than SLC

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I guess it must be asked, why wouldn't the Coyotes owner sell directly to the Jazz owner for 1.3B?
Because the league wouldn't approve the relocation immediately. He's paying the premium for convenience. Think of it as the service fee and recommended tip on Uber Eats or Doordash.

Reactions: Voight

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
To be playing in Mullet Arena was an embarrassment to the NHL.

Arizona fans. I think you guys will get a new team. I do wonder how Utah will feel to get given Arizona over just starting fresh with an expansion team.

Reactions: hui43210

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
To be playing in Mullet Arena was an embarrassment to the NHL.

Arizona fans. I think you guys will get a new team. I do wonder how Utah will feel to get given Arizona over just starting fresh with an expansion team.

Hockey operations currently in place are probably the best the team has ever seen. If it were me I’d rather have the relocated Coyotes instead of an expansion franchise myself.

Spirits

Avalanche and Vikings
Jul 12, 2014
Arizona fans. I think you guys will get a new team.
Not an Arizona fan, but an Arizona native.

I know this place will get a new team most likely, but I'm not sure it will be any better unless they get the Vegas treatment and are gifted a top 5 team from jump street. Vegas has done jack shit to deserve the team they have, but the NHL made it succeed.

Scomerica

Aug 14, 2020
Seattle, Wa
Many team change their names when they move, especially when the name is regional. Note that there isn't a team named the NJ Rockies and the North Stars dropped the North portion when they moved to Dallas

Sure there are some dumb ones like the La Lakers and Dodgers
The Utah Jazz is probably the biggest example of a team that should have changed it's name
Wonder what they would change it to for salt Lake. It's associated with worker bees but there's a minor league baseball team called that. I doubt they use any thing related to the lds church to appeal to non Mormons. There's mountains but could be too similar to avalanche. I'm assuming they have coyotes there so they may keep that name.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
The majority of NHL players aren't mormons.
I realize this goes against the popular meme/stereotype, but you don't have to be mormon to enjoy SLC.

Source: I lived and played hockey in Idaho, where two of our division rivals were located in/around SLC

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
Not an Arizona fan, but an Arizona native.

I know this place will get a new team most likely, but I'm not sure it will be any better unless they get the Vegas treatment and are gifted a top 5 team from jump street. Vegas has done jack shit to deserve the team they have, but the NHL made it succeed.

GMs did as well.

Kraken got to draft some solid players as well.
VGK just got a bit lucky that GMs really wanted to keep certain players and overpaid to keep certain ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad