GDT: Pens vs. Rags - 7:00PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Perhaps I'm a pizza snob but I hard disagree here. Fast food pizza is actually one of the few fast food types that I hate. I think Papa Johns, Dominoes, etc really suck compared to an actual good slice. But I still enjoy say Mcdonalds or Chic Fil A or whatever. Just can't get into fast food pizza. They've never really gotten it right for me.

There are only 2 fast food pizza places that I'll actually stand up for: Costco and Little Caesar's deep dish pizza. The rest of them suck.

Maybe I'll include Pizza Hut's pan pizza as one I'd stand up for, but it's marginal. You have to go find one of those old style Pizza Huts that still make pizza the way it used to be made. Costco is a no brainer and Little Caesar's deep dish are both good.

Reactions: Pancakes

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
There are only 2 fast food pizza places that I'll actually stand up for: Costco and Little Caesar's deep dish pizza. The rest of them suck.

Maybe I'll include Pizza Hut's pan pizza as one I'd stand up for, but it's marginal. Costco is a no brainer and Little Caesar's deep dish are both good.
I liked Pizza Hut as a kid but at some point they changed their recipe and it's a lot greasier and crappier now.

I don't really eat delivery pizza too often any more though because there's a few good pickup places near me that have Ny-style pizza. It's not that much effort for me to drive 10 minutes and pick some up.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I liked Pizza Hut as a kid but at some point they changed their recipe and it's a lot greasier and crappier now.

I don't really eat delivery pizza too often any more though because there's a few good pickup places near me that have Ny-style pizza. It's not that much effort for me to drive 10 minutes and pick some up.

I actually edited that in right after. The only Pizza Huts worth defending are the ones who still make pizzas like they used to make them. I think Pizza Hut used to be really good in the 80s and 90s, but I even remember it being good in the early 2000s. But now, it's just not good.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I actually edited that in right after. The only Pizza Huts worth defending are the ones who still make pizzas like they used to make them. I think Pizza Hut used to be really good in the 80s and 90s, but I even remember it being good in the early 2000s. But now, it's just not good.
Yeah I grew up in the 80s/90s and remember it being good then, but then it got bad.

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006

I was a cook at Pizza Hut during high school in the mid-90s. We made the dough in one of those big Hobart mixers every single morning and threw out the leftover dough at closing time. At some point when I went away to school they switched from making the dough to getting frozen discs and proofing those instead. I guess it saved a bit of money on labor costs and there was less waste, but the pizza was never as good as when it was made from scratch.

Last edited:

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
People by default get the ultra greasy pan pizzas. Hand-tossed is far better.
Used to make the dough for PH... Trust me on this one, people.
Last I checked they called hand-tossed "homemade style crust" or something. Similar price.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Ahhh Sbarro's... the last awful hope for the starving motorist on the PA turnpike. They're like the Greta Van Fleet of NY style pizza. I mean I SEE the resemblance. But it sucks.
My man:

Edit: the real insane thing about this clip is that the Fat Boys are all relatively normal weights compared to the obesity epidemic years. :laugh:

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Also bad American pizza has nothing on the horrors of bad European pizza. Behold the Swedish fermented fish cake pizza:

ZSaV92z.jpg

Also, my wife likes to torment our very Italian friend with promotional flyers from Taiwanese pizza hut:

1651822081-6274ce0117501.jpg

Yes, those are oreos. And fried chicken. And fish roe, I think? Definitely some fish cake tempura too.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Also bad American pizza has nothing on the horrors of bad European pizza. Behold the Swedish fermented fish cake pizza:

ZSaV92z.jpg

Also, my wife likes to torment our very Italian friend with promotional flyers from Taiwanese pizza hut:

1651822081-6274ce0117501.jpg

Yes, those are oreos. And fried chicken. And fish roe, I think? Definitely some fish cake tempura too.

Reactions: HandshakeLine

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I was a cook at Pizza Hut during high school in the mid-90s. We made the dough in one of those big Hobart mixers every single morning and threw out the leftover dough at closing time. At some point when I went away to school they switched from making the dough to getting frozen discs and proofing those instead. I guess it saved a bit of money on labor costs and there was less waste, but the pizza was never as good as when it was made from scratch.
I worked in store at Papa Johns right out of college because I needed a job and couldn't find anything better yet and at the time they had frozen dough as well. The only pizza I really liked there was their thin crust. That came premade in bags and you'd just toss it in the oven but imo it tasted better than their dough did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad