Salary Cap: Pens Summer Salary Thread: We Hayes Dubas's offseason moves so far

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Anyone else super gassed up to watch Kevin Hayes skate around at like three mph and be lazy as shit and somehow still be more effective than Jeff Carter was?

I'm ready for camp already. I want to see what idiotic line combinations Sullivan trots out and see what veteran hanger-on grabs a roster spot over Yager. Lets gooo

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
Anyone else super gassed up to watch Kevin Hayes skate around at like three mph and be lazy as shit and somehow still be more effective than Jeff Carter was?

I'm ready for camp already. I want to see what idiotic line combinations Sullivan trots out and see what veteran hanger-on grabs a roster spot over Yager. Lets gooo
Good trade. I'll take a 2nd for Hayes at 3.57M x 2 all day. This is exactly what they should be doing now, converting cap space into futures.
I just wish ownership and management went all-in with this mentality.
If he sucks, they pick higher in a deep draft. If he's good, maybe he's flippable at the deadline for more? Hopefully he's not middling.
2024-25 results are whatever to me. They'll be done after game 82 or 2 weeks later, either way. All that matters is how much progress they make with the farm by this time next summer.

Would be good to see Yager in the NHL though. Play him a lot and boost his trade value for later, instead of losing him for nothing like Ty Smith.

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ
I think Malkin would stay. Letang definitely would want to go and if Crosby and Letang are gone, Rust will be open to waiving his NMC. I'm fine with that scenario. I'd hate to see all 3 gone, I'd hope Malkin would stay and just finish out his career as a Penguin.
So Malkin finally gets to be #1 center at age 38/39? ;)

Honestly, I think Dubas has the Boston style rebuild in mind, albeit late to the party. Question is if he hits any homeruns with his draft picks (aka a McAvoy or Pasternak). Problem is we won't find out in time.

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020

Honestly, I think Dubas has the Boston style rebuild in mind, albeit late to the party. Question is if he hits any homeruns with his draft picks (aka a McAvoy or Pasternak). Problem is we won't find out in time.
If his plan is to get lucky and have a mid and late 1st round picks turn into franchise players we’re screwed.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017

Pastrnak went right from his draft year to playing 25 games in the AHL and then full time in the NHL his first season…people here don’t even want Yager playing in the NHL his second season lol…if he’s good, he’s good enough and should be playing imo…McAvoy played one year of college hockey after being drafted and then played full time for the Bruins…imo if we “hit” on Yager, he should be playing in the NHL this season…otherwise he likely won’t ever amount to an impact player and we won’t have a quick style rebuild…same with Pickering

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ

Hell yeah, brother.

Posting failure in the Crosby page, it’s like getting brain in a cemetery

Reactions: Pancakes

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
How long until we find out about a top 6 forward and/or top 4 d-man getting surgery after failing to try to rehab an injury over the summer?

This is a classic. My favorite pairing to this trope are a bunch of fans defending it as a smart move even though the surgery and recovery time is like 3-4 months, tops and could have just been largely taken care of over the Summer.

Reactions: SomeDude

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017

He’s actually not bad at getting the puck out of the D zone and into the O zone, which we need more of. With the right wingers could make a decent line.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan

Basically Auroras response. Since we didn't get any big fish why overpay for Stephenson when we can add a 2nd to take on a bottom 6 gut. Hayes will be slow but he still is effective.
Good trade. I'll take a 2nd for Hayes at 3.57M x 2 all day. This is exactly what they should be doing now, converting cap space into futures.
If he sucks, they pick higher in a deep draft. If he's good, maybe he's flippable at the deadline for more? Hopefully he's not middling.
2024-25 results are whatever to me. They'll be done after game 82 or 2 weeks later, either way. All that matters is how much progress they make with the farm by this time next summer.

Would be good to see Yager in the NHL though. Play him a lot and boost his trade value for later, instead of losing him for nothing like Ty Smith.

He’s actually not bad at getting the puck out of the D zone and into the O zone, which we need more of. With the right wingers could make a decent line.

Yes his transition stats are interesting.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Why have an invasive surgery and be sidelined for 4 months when you can have it hamper your ability for like 7 f***ing years or whatever Sid did with his wrist injury. :laugh:

Or Malkin with his years of knee and shoulder issues that another AVP statue and good vibes were gonna fix any season, now. Glad he avoided it until he was like 36 or whatever. Fixed it right in his prime!

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC

I don't think it was a good trade at all. Converting cap space into futures is one thing. Blocking prospects at the NHL level for middling talent is quite another. Also, it is basically a contradiction to both want Yager in the NHL and like the Hayes acquisition. If Hayes was not here, Yager's chances would go up exponentially. Yeah yeah, I know: centers can play wing; Yager can beat someone else out if he is ready, yada yada yada...

We did well to get futures for Reilly Smith. We did really well in the Guentzel trade. That is the path we should follow, not the Hayes deal. Hayes has looked disinterested since leaving Philadelphia, and probably even before that. He does nothing for this team, except block the path to playing time for the likes of Yager, Ponomarev, Poulin et al.

We won't get anything for Hayes because he is middling. He does not move the need at all, and he probably was acquired because Mike Sullivan runs this franchise, not Kyle Dubas. OR, Dubas knows he has to do right by Sullivan, so he panders to him. But I seriously doubt that Hayes likes Sullivan and Quinn so much that he is going to go through walls for them and rebound with a career season.

The only redeeming quality about Hayes is that he does not have P-L Dubois' contract.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
The thing I don't understand with the Crosby negotiations is, if it really is term that is holding things up and NOT money, then why??? He is signed for this year, so even if he only wants one year, give it to him. If he wants 5 years, give it to him. Anything in between, give it to him.

The report that term is holding things up has to be wrong. It is a no-brainer to sign him to as long or as short of an extension as he wants.

What makes zero sense is going through yet another season of uncertainty with a pending UFA. Sure, we made a good trade at the deadline for Guentzel, but is it a coincidence that we played a lot better at the end of the season without 59 than with him? Sure, there were a few rough games right after the deadline, but I think the team was still in shock. Afterwards, they really played well. And that was with this coach, with a bad PP, with a bad assistant coach, with the backup goaltender, and with a few injuries.

Just get the deal done. He (Crosby) is the reason Malkin and Letang are still here. He is unfortunately probably one of the reasons why Sullivan is still here. He is also the reason for our current plan of adding youth while trying to stay competitive. The last thing we need is for Crosby to go all Hollywood Hogan on us and leave. Just like Mark Messier did with NYR back in the day, one year after convincing Gretzky to join him.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
The thing I don't understand with the Crosby negotiations is, if it really is term that is holding things up and NOT money, then why??? He is signed for this year, so even if he only wants one year, give it to him. If he wants 5 years, give it to him. Anything in between, give it to him.

The report that term is holding things up has to be wrong. It is a no-brainer to sign him to as long or as short of an extension as he wants.

What makes zero sense is going through yet another season of uncertainty with a pending UFA. Sure, we made a good trade at the deadline for Guentzel, but is it a coincidence that we played a lot better at the end of the season without 59 than with him? Sure, there were a few rough games right after the deadline, but I think the team was still in shock. Afterwards, they really played well. And that was with this coach, with a bad PP, with a bad assistant coach, with the backup goaltender, and with a few injuries.

Just get the deal done. He (Crosby) is the reason Malkin and Letang are still here. He is unfortunately probably one of the reasons why Sullivan is still here. He is also the reason for our current plan of adding youth while trying to stay competitive. The last thing we need is for Crosby to go all Hollywood Hogan on us and leave. Just like Mark Messier did with NYR back in the day, one year after convincing Gretzky to join him.
Rossi's update suggested that it was Crosby's uncertainty over term that might be the delay, not the Penguins.

Sid supposedly doesn't want to leave the Penguins in a bad spot with his contract if he can't finish it.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Rossi's update suggested that it was Crosby's uncertainty over term that might be the delay, not the Penguins.

Sid supposedly doesn't want to leave the Penguins in a bad spot with his contract if he can't finish it.

I mean the Penguins are going to be in a bad spot regardless.

Sounds like typical Rossi trying to get his name involved and not saying anything of consequence.

Brisson’s comments are the only ones I trust and Dubas’ weird half and half “we want to sign him” but ultimately no true commitment.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
The Penguins have been in a bad spot for years, and will not be able to escape that (regardless of how bad people wanna retool on the fly) for the long term.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I think Beauvillier and Puustinen would be an interesting pairing. Would prefer someone a bit more than Puusy but, is what it is. Beau-Hayes-DOC/Yager would be interesting to see.

Reactions: Tom Hanks

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
I think Beauvillier and Puustinen would be an interesting pairing. Would prefer someone a bit more than Puusy but, is what it is. Beau-Hayes-DOC/Yager would be interesting to see.

Beau-Hayes-Puus should work alright. Sully needs to see them as a 2-way line instead of a shutdown line and we might get some decent production for a 3rd line.

Sully has to get out of the bottom 6 are purely defensive mindset. Every line needs to chip in with scoring. It doesn’t work with the bottom 6 playing around 20mins a game (combined) at even strength.

Page 87 and Sid still isn't signed. Clearly a bad omen.

1723229237257.jpeg

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Beau-Hayes-Puus should work alright. Sully needs to see them as a 2-way line instead of a shutdown line and we might get some decent production for a 3rd line.

Sully has to get out of the bottom 6 are purely defensive mindset. Every line needs to chip in with scoring. It doesn’t work with the bottom 6 playing around 20mins a game (combined) at even strength.

View attachment 899994
You’re asking a lot from our top-three coach in the league lol…

Reactions: Tom Hanks
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad