Salary Cap: Pens Summer Salary Thread: We Hayes Dubas's offseason moves so far

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I don't know why Chicago would be paying to get rid of Hall, but they'd probably have to be paying to get rid of Hall if they're trading him.

Only 4 points in 10 games after being traded for basically nothing last year? Yeah, that's a negative value contract if I could imagine one.

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
Yeah you'd think Hall would be a contract they pay to get rid of. But its only 1 year left and Chicago have lots of cap space, so don't see why they would pay to ship him out?

And we can't take Hall without retention or sending cap back

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

Goodleaf

Love a good stick.
Nov 15, 2010
I bet Chicago would want Hayes for Hall. Dubas does the league a favor and hangs up so Hayes cant mentor Bedard. But I think its safe to say any defenseman (prospect or 4/5 roster player) would be their first ask.

1720722304181.png

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I wonder if Ron Hextall is sitting at home somewhere cursing at Dubas getting to do what Hextall wanted to do all along anyways.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I mean, Hextall had the ability to do that the entire time he was with the Penguins :laugh:
Did he? Seemed like management at the time wanted him to try to win while also rebuilding.

Dubas has pretty clearly given up on the "winning" part of that which means FSG has given him the green light to rebuild in all but name.

Reactions: Gurglesons

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I wonder if Ron Hextall is sitting at home somewhere cursing at Dubas getting to do what Hextall wanted to do all along anyways.

“If only we would’ve signed Trochek!?!”

I mean, Hextall had the ability to do that the entire time he was with the Penguins :laugh:

Don’t you remember Malkin sent a text to Sid saying “they no like me”.

Did he? Seemed like management at the time wanted him to try to win while also rebuilding.

Dubas has pretty clearly given up on the "winning" part of that which means FSG has given him the green light to rebuild in all but name.

Watching this “plan” blow up in Dubas’ smug self worshipping face is going to be hilarious.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
How about instead of getting guys in hopes that you can flip them later, you, uhhhhh, trade guys like Petts and prepare to trade Rust the moment his NTC drops next summer? :laugh:
It is going to be really dumb when they extend Petts, yeah. There's no reason at all to do that but I know they will because MP likes to be here.

I feel like the only way it doesn't happen is if the Pens are really bad this year and I'm not sure the Pens will be bad enough to convince KD to do that.

Then again I didn't think he'd have the stones to move on from Jake either and he did so maybe there's hope.

Watching this “plan” blow up in Dubas’ smug self worshipping face is going to be hilarious.
I can only think of two ways that this plan blows up in his face:

1) Sid gets pissed and asks out. On paper that might not be a bad thing since the Pens would rebuild as a result, but FSG might get mad enough about that to fire Dubas since Sid sells tickets.

2) Dubas/Sully/Pens miss on most of the draft picks they're accumulating and the post Sid era doesn't get a noticeable boost from the partial rebuild they tried to do.

I don't think FSG cares too much if the Pens suck in the meantime though. If they did there's no way Dubas would be trying to do what he's doing now.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
It is going to be really dumb when they extend Petts, yeah. There's no reason at all to do that but I know they will because MP likes to be here.

I feel like the only way it doesn't happen is if the Pens are really bad this year and I'm not sure the Pens will be bad enough to convince KD to do that.

Then again I didn't think he'd have the stones to move on from Jake either and he did so maybe there's hope.

I think it’s pretty obvious Jake wasn’t going to sign so Dubas was forced to do what he did.

Not something he should really get props for. Especially considering the shit ass return he got if we are “rebuilding”.

1) Sid gets pissed and asks out. On paper that might not be a bad thing since the Pens would rebuild as a result, but FSG might get mad enough about that to fire Dubas since Sid sells tickets.

2) Dubas/Sully/Pens miss on most of the draft picks they're accumulating and the post Sid era doesn't get a noticeable boost from the partial rebuild they tried to do.

I don't think FSG cares too much if the Pens suck in the meantime though. If they did there's no way Dubas would be trying to do what he's doing now.

What rebuild like the one we are attempting has worked out well?

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I think it’s pretty obvious Jake wasn’t going to sign so Dubas was forced to do what he did.

Not something he should really get props for. Especially considering the shit ass return he got if we are “rebuilding”.
True. Jake forced his hand. And even with Jake forcing his hand like that you just know that the Pens would have hung onto Jake if they were closer to a playoff spot at the deadline. And that would have been disastrous asset management.
What rebuild like the one we are attempting has worked out well?
Hell forget that. How many teams have even tried to do what the Pens are doing now? Maybe Detroit with Zetterberg/Datsyuk? I'm not even sure that counts as a precedent because Detroit never missed the playoffs with Datsyuk there and they only missed two years with Zetterberg before he decided to retire.

Even looking at the Sharks they never missed the playoffs two times in a row with Joe Thornton there and then decided to rebuild while holding onto him.

The Caps have only missed the playoffs one time with Ovechkin as well, and despite a brief period of trying to retool they went aggressive again this off season in trying to get back into it.

I'm not seeing a lot of precedent for what the Pens have tried to do.

People can beat on you all they want but this is a pertinent question.
I can't even think of a team that did try to rebuild in the manner we're going about it.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019

I don't think it was Dubas' idea to move Jake tbh. That dude made it abundantly clear he wasn't gonna sign an extension with anyone last summer and all throughout the year. Practically speaking Dubas had no real option--he couldn't just let him walk for nothing. :laugh:

Yeah, it's gonna suck when Petts gets re-signed. Just move the guy now before his play regresses or he gets hurt or some shit.

Reactions: Pancakes

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad