Salary Cap: Pens Summer Salary Thread: We Hayes Dubas's offseason moves so far

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
If Sid wanted to sign 7x13, I would do it.

You mean $12M x 8.7 yrs. The reverse contract.

It shouldn't stop them, but he's over 35 and we will be on the full hook for whatever his salary is
There’s always LTIR

1720455797234.jpeg

Reactions: BusinessGoose

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
I'm assuming there will be a way out for Sid if he wishes too in a year or 2 in his deal where we would take on 50% of the contract and trade him to his preferred destination. There is no way this organization can afford to let Sid, Geno, Letang and EK just walk and not have any assets back in the near future. If so, it will be 5-7 terrible seasons coming minimum with our current prospect pool

PenguinSuitedUp

Sponsor
Oct 2, 2019
So? I mean, I get Sid wants to get paid, but at the same time I don't give a f*** if he did it a way he now regrets.

I'll be happy he signs, don't get me wrong. I just think it's weird to try to find some sort of sweetener to it, if he really does sign for 10 AAV.
The sweetener has already happened. He’s always been worth more than his contract, and the Pens have reaped the benefit.

I'm assuming there will be a way out for Sid if he wishes too in a year or 2 in his deal where we would take on 50% of the contract and trade him to his preferred destination. There is no way this organization can afford to let Sid, Geno, Letang and EK just walk and not have any assets back in the near future. If so, it will be 5-7 terrible seasons coming minimum with our current prospect pool
I think Sid and Geno transcend asset management. Those guys are franchise legends who you make sure retire with the team in an amicable way.

Reactions: Dipsy Doodle

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Oh they absolutely will, lol.

I don't know when the organization decided that EK was suddenly part of the club forever, but it boggles my mind.

Reactions: Le Magnifique 66

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
If the Pens had shown an ounce of courage and had traded Malkin/Letang/Rust they could have been competing the past 2 years for cups while also securing their future for the next decade plus.

Of course, a very vocal minority of the fanbase asked for this and were roundly castigated by the same fanbase that moans about their future currently.

Pickles

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
I just realized if Crosby plays for 4 more years and his 80, 70, 60, 50 he'll be at 1856.

That's puts him at 41.

If he goes to a team where he isn't force to carry. I wonder if he can hit 90 twice. Then have two years of 70.

That puts him at 1916. He's potentially looking at retiring as the 2nd best point producer of all time if he leaves PIT.

That's why, as a fan - I want him to go to Colorado.

His longevity would be extended by at LEAST two seasons not having to drag a bag of corpses around for all 82, he'd play with linemates who can actually generate offense on their own while also finishing what he creates, and he'd get more playoff points as well.

But, the man himself may honestly not give a shit. Who knows. But I look forward to debating with stat boys in 10 years about how much better the likes of Matthews and McDavid are having played in a league with shit goalies, high scoring, and better linemates. Of course that won't be the focus though. They'll have more points than Sid and therefore will be better than him.

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018

His longevity would be extended by at LEAST two seasons not having to drag a bag of corpses around for all 82, he'd play with linemates who can actually generate offense on their own while also finishing what he creates, and he'd get more playoff points as well.

But, the man himself may honestly not give a shit. Who knows. But I look forward to debating with stat boys in 10 years about how much better the likes of Matthews and McDavid are having played in a league with shit goalies, high scoring, and better linemates. Of course that won't be the focus though. They'll have more points than Sid and therefore will be better than him.
You want Crosby to go to another team so you can argue online with people about Matthews and McDavid?

PenguinSuitedUp

Sponsor
Oct 2, 2019
If the Pens had shown an ounce of courage and had traded Malkin/Letang/Rust they could have been competing the past 2 years for cups while also securing their future for the next decade plus.

Of course, a very vocal minority of the fanbase asked for this and were roundly castigated by the same fanbase that moans about their future currently.

Pickles
This is a fallacy. When Malkin and Letang were finishing their contracts, there were no players even close to their caliber hitting free agency. And we would have gotten less than we did in the Guentzel deal for either of them.

To me, a player putting up all of his points with one franchise is more impressive and meaningful.

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
You want Crosby to go to another team so you can argue online with people about Matthews and McDavid?

That's one way to interpret that.

I want him to go to another team to actually play meaningful hockey. The dude is great and cares about winning. That's a rarity in 'older' sports figures. He won't get either (meaningful / winning) here in Pittsburgh.

I just meant I look forward to the debates of who's better (which I generally sit out) - because there is a good percentage of folks that quite literally only care about numbers regardless of when those numbers were generated.

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
Sullivan leans on the vets already in the lineup too much among other criticisms… but every youngster with actual talent gets a legit shot and place in the lineup (except Sprong). Can’t remember anyone I wanted to get a “real” chance and didn’t that went on to to do anything.

Obv all the guys up in the Cup runs, but since then:
Blueger
Petts
Marino
O’Connor
Puustinen
St. Ivany
POJ

Marino is good but no one there is a top of the line-up type. All got a lot of games.
I thought Petts defended like a bonafide top pair guy last year. Quite good the year before that too.
Not easy conditions either, covering for Karlsson's adventures and Letang's declining defense.

He would narrowly miss the Swedish national team for me at this point.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal

Pickles
I don't know if we would have been competitive, but we wouldn't be as stuck as we are now with our prospect pool. I mean the Jake trade brought in most of that besides Yager and Pickering. Anyways, if people still think a tweak here and there and we're contenders again, I just don't know what to say

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
I thought Petts defended like a bonafide top pair guy last year. Quite good the year before that too.
Not easy conditions either, covering for Karlsson's adventures and Letang's declining defense.

He would narrowly miss the Swedish national team for me at this point.
Not wrong I missed him.

Broader point was that there’s no one there who as a prospect was a can’t-miss, can’t-mess-them-up talent.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I'm completely fine with Sid making whatever he wants, honestly. At this point it's completely pointless to fret about cap space to fit in some future piece to help compete that is never coming, anyway. But lets please not act like Sid has been in the poorhouse the last few years because of how his contract was constructed. He's made an absolute mint in endorsements etc. for many, many years including these last few.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
I don't know if we would have been competitive, but we wouldn't be as stuck as we are now with our prospect pool. I mean the Jake trade brought in most of that besides Yager and Pickering. Anyways, if people still think a tweak here and there and we're contenders again, I just don't know what to say

That would have to be some tweak

1720458454926.gif

• Haha
Reactions: Le Magnifique 66

Ulf5

Feb 21, 2017
I'm completely fine with Sid making whatever he wants, honestly. At this point it's completely pointless to fret about cap space to fit in some future piece to help compete that is never coming, anyway. But lets please not act like Sid has been in the poorhouse the last few years because of how his contract was constructed. He's made an absolute mint in endorsements etc. for many, many years including these last few.
I've seen some estimates of up to $5 million annually from endorsements. Obviously no way for verification.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad