Salary Cap: Pens Summer Salary Thread: We Hayes Dubas's offseason moves so far

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
I'm completely fine with Sid making whatever he wants, honestly. At this point it's completely pointless to fret about cap space to fit in some future piece to help compete that is never coming, anyway. But lets please not act like Sid has been in the poorhouse the last few years because of how his contract was constructed. He's made an absolute mint in endorsements etc. for many, many years including these last few.

Oh no he only made $3mil a year the last couple years 😂

I’d bet his making a whole bunch more than that just from his investments he made when he was taking home $9-12mil in the previous 9 years.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004

I’d bet his making a whole bunch more than that just from his investments he made when he was taking home $9-12mil in the previous 9 years.

Well yeah then there's that... I would be pretty shocked if Crosby of all people wasn't making the money he's already earned work for him. He doesn't strike me as the type to have like... stables of Clydesdales, Mongolian dinosaur skulls and whole-ass castles (multiple) ya know?

Or uh... a yard full of life size Predator and Alien statues and ownership stakes in prison-themed restaurants...

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
I simply hate the idea that we owe these star players anything besides non-financial appreciation.
I don't even think it's an owe thing.

Being competitive sells tickets.

Keeping a top 5 player all time helps sell tickets.

They don't care if they make playoffs. Crosby is a cash pony and they want to keep there pony.

Same thing for Ovechkin. Keep selling jerseys. Keep selling tickets.

Goalie_Bob

1992 Vezina (2nd)
Dec 30, 2005
Pittsburgh
He also is the one that just had to have his contract equal 8.7mil a season. :laugh:

At the time, nobody would have blinked an eye if he said he wanted 12mil a season which was the max allowed at the time. Eg 20% of the cap.

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005

Again I’m not arguing that. Just pointing out the fact he might not take a discount because of it. Other top stars also have endorsements while also making 10 mil a season.

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
Well yeah then there's that... I would be pretty shocked if Crosby of all people wasn't making the money he's already earned work for him. He doesn't strike me as the type to have like... stables of Clydesdales, Mongolian dinosaur skulls and whole-ass castles (multiple) ya know?

Or uh... a yard full of life size Predator and Alien statues and ownership stakes in prison-themed restaurants...

I like your examples :laugh:.

I've always found 'art' as the most insane thing people spend money on. Seinfeld had a take on it "it's just a picture(?)" that felt accurate the first time I heard it.

Cribs was such an interesting show and so fitting for athletes.. Unfortunate that it's only sports figures/actors that are a little outrageous being portrayed that way in the media. Down any wealthy street is a house with strange African pottery and abstract freaky stuff lining the walls.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I'm completely fine with Sid making whatever he wants, honestly. At this point it's completely pointless to fret about cap space to fit in some future piece to help compete that is never coming, anyway. But lets please not act like Sid has been in the poorhouse the last few years because of how his contract was constructed. He's made an absolute mint in endorsements etc. for many, many years including these last few.
The other thing to consider with regards to Sid and how much he makes (and potentially will sign for):

The big reason (aside from his obsession with the number) Sid was willing to take discounts on his previous deals is so the club could use the extra cap space to improve the club. Maybe Sid's like us and has seen this club isn't improving, so why should he leave money on the table when the club's not actually using it to improve the roster? ;)

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
There is no doubt in my mind that Crosby eased back on what he could have demanded to help the team. But he didn't have to really bleed himself dry due to how contracts were allowed to be written up back then. It was a good situation for everyone involved. And again... dude should take however much he can squeeze out of this lazy, unserious dipshit of a team, regardless. Compensation for being a bunch of loser douchebags who have wasted years of his career as far as I'm concerned.

I like your examples :laugh:.

I've always found 'art' as the most insane thing people spend money on. Seinfeld had a take on it "it's just a picture(?)" that felt accurate the first time I heard it.

Cribs was such an interesting show and so fitting for athletes.. Unfortunate that it's only sports figures/actors that are a little outrageous being portrayed that way in the media. Down any wealthy street is a house with strange African pottery and abstract freaky stuff lining the walls.

Evidently a whole bunch of Cribs was completely set up. If you ever saw the infamous episode with Redman in his Brick City flophouse... they tried to get him to post up in a rented mansion (a common tactic I guess for that show) and he refused. Hence the hilarious results lol

Reactions: molon labe

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018

Career earnings of $152M

Let’s say he’s made another $60M from endorsements

Taxes, agent fees, charity, spending and compound interest over the years.. let’s just say he has $80M in a private wealth account.

Let’s say that generates 5% to 12% a year… that’s 4 to 9 million a year (who knows if he pulls it out as income though).

Dudes fine.

Reactions: Tom Hanks

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Again I’m not arguing that. Just pointing out the fact he might not take a discount because of it. Other top stars also have endorsements while also making 10 mil a season.
Oh for sure. Make as much money as you can I say.

Had a discussion with my friend that the best players should probably make more than they do and the 4th liners should probably make less in terms of how much they mean to attendance, engagement, growing the game, profits etc.

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I don't understand how there is a single Penguins fan who wants Crosby to leave Pittsburgh. No matter what kind of wacky justification you give for it, it just makes me think "are you actually a Penguins fan?" to suggest that Crosby should leave.
The only reason I'd be okay with it if it was his choice is because I'd like to see him get a shot at moving farther up the leaderboards on the all-time playoff lists. I don't want him to move on for *my* sake (ie. obsessed with starting a rebuild pronto).

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Oh for sure. Make as much money as you can I say.

Had a discussion with my friend that the best players should probably make more than they do and the 4th liners should probably make less in terms of how much they mean to attendance, engagement, growing the game, profits etc.

If the majority of GMs and coaches weren't cement-head dinosaurs that would probably happen naturally. Similar to how goaltender salaries/cap hits have been kept down versus skaters over the years.

But NHL coaches and GMs love their veteran try hards.

lokomotiv15

Jul 14, 2012
London, ontario
I know its been reported that the ball-park numbers are looking like 3 X 10, but doesn't it seem nigh impossible to anyone else here that Sid signs for anything other than 8.7 per?

Like we all know Sid. We've known Sid for almost 20 years, I almost put no weight into anyone suggesting he would sign for anything else, whether or not his play the last 2 season still holds up as a 9.5M+ player.

I also don't buy this "he has to show Karlsson #'s or better on the books" crap I've heard pop up.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Maybe if he demands a max deal, it would prevent Dubas from signing anymore crappy free agents or acquiring other teams’ garbage.

• Haha
Reactions: Giskard

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I’ve said this before but you have to remember Sid has “only” been making like 3 mil a year for a couple years now due to the now illegal front loaded contract he signed.
I mean, he's made over $114mil PLUS all of his other stuff. I don't think Sid making $3mil this year or last is of any consequence.
Kevin Hayes is 5 years younger and can only assume hungrier. Plus if Sid signs longer term, that all but guarantees Lukas Skjelaeiouyovsky is stuck in Wheeling. Unless you think this team can afford losing him in 2027 when he needs to clear waivers.
Goodleaf? More like good grief.

bg,f8f8f8-flat,750x,075,f-pad,750x1000,f8f8f8.jpg

I simply hate the idea that we owe these star players anything besides non-financial appreciation.
You're a teacher, aren't you?

Reactions: The Old Master

Goodleaf

Love a good stick.
Nov 15, 2010
I mean, he's made over $114mil PLUS all of his other stuff. I don't think Sid making $3mil this year or last is of any consequence.

Goodleaf? More like good grief.

bg,f8f8f8-flat,750x,075,f-pad,750x1000,f8f8f8.jpg

You're a teacher, aren't you?
Settle down.

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
So, Sid wants to stay on a sinking ship, eh? :laugh:

Honestly there was a report of 3 x 10 like 6 months ago.

The article sounded like Rossi regurgitated that news as what's being discussed now

I think we're looking at a bit of a delay due to Sid's closest family/friends prodding him a bit as to why he needs to stay here. If it was 3 x 10 I think the deal would have been signed already. Maybe he's waiting to 8/7. Maybe he wants Dubas to actually give him a top 6 winger. I just don't see any reports available to suggest that the deal is suddenly imminent OR that it's not going to happen.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
If Sid signs for three years maybe by that final year we're a borderline playoff team. :laugh:

Honestly there was a report of 3 x 10 like 6 months ago.

The article sounded like Rossi regurgitated that news as what's being discussed now

I think we're looking at a bit of a delay due to Sid's closest family/friends prodding him a bit as to why he needs to stay here. If it was 3 x 10 I think the deal would have been signed already. Maybe he's waiting to 8/7. Maybe he wants Dubas to actually give him a top 6 winger. I just don't see any reports available to suggest that the deal is suddenly imminent OR that it's not going to happen.
Hopefully they'll talk some sense into him and he can chase another cup while affording us an accelerated rebuild. Win-Win!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad