Salary Cap: Pens Summer Salary Thread: Dull days of August... Oooo! A trade!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
I didn't expect much from the off season once we didn't get any of the big fish.
I didn't really expect any to come here though.

Yager may bite us in the ass but every prospect chart has McGroarty higher.

We got a 2nd and 3rd to take on Hayes we gave back a 5th
3rd and 6th for Glass
Signed Lizotte - meh I'd rather wish we didn't.
Beauvillier 1 year signing can be buried to AHL if he sucks or some other team may grab him. Inconsequential
Matt Grzelcyk - 1 year deal. I don't hate it
St. IVANY Signed a 3 year two way deal
Signed all important prospects to deals
McGroarty for Yager which is a plus for us.
Signed Ned for 2 years

We dropped POJ and I hope he does well elsewhere

We didn't get PLD (meh I wanted to swing but maybe the lockeroom didn't want him or Dubas didn't want)
Laine - I think our price was high for him so never a chance.

Overall I give us a good off season.

We gained
2nd 2 3rds and a 6th for a 5th rounder.
Glass is here 1 year
Hayes for 2 years

After this year almost 3 million comes back to us with Petry and Rielly retention spots.

I give Dubas a solid B+.

You forgot about trading Smith

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
I actually really hope Glass sticks and isn’t just in the press box. I want to see this roster trimmed down a bit and some more picks/prospects brought in. Problem is, I don’t want to give up assets to move a few of these guys. I think that’s why I keep looking at Eller and maybe Acciari.

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
I haven't checked out capwages yet.
Supposedly there's another on the way- StanleyCap. I think someone involved with CF will be in on that one.
Puckpedia is ok and so is cap wages. They can fix a lot of things but it's just laziness. Like the cap calculator for the next seasons for cap space could be added or even just better info for the players but yeah, eat shit Capitals for ruining Capfriendly.

Pettersson doesn't have the value that makes him worth trading until the last minute. He'll bring back 2 2nds right now and he'll bring back 2 2nds at 2:00 PM on deadline day.
Which is fine. I'd do it now anyway. It's not like this team isn't swimming with experienced LHD to slot in. You lose Pettersson, fine it means Grzelcyk, Aho, Ludvig, Pickering all have more spots to fight for or roles to step up for. It also means you have the draft capital now to sit and wait on more deals early to dump anyone you might want to asap and use it as sweeteners.

Reactions: BusinessGoose

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
Pettersson doesn't have the value that makes him worth trading until the last minute. He'll bring back 2 2nds right now and he'll bring back 2 2nds at 2:00 PM on deadline day.
Let's say that's true. That banks on him having a 3rd straight good season, which is not a guarantee. There may be an injury, or declined play.
Can use his 4mil to take on another crap contract to get a pick or 2 as well, like we did with Glass. Still have ample time to find a trade partner for that. No pressure with the chaos of deadlines.
Trading him now will also let us move up a few spots in the draft. If he's here for 60 games then he'll push the standings points up a bit, like Guentzel did.

Waiting is just an unnecessary dice roll. We don't need him here for anything.

Last edited:

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I don't see the point in moving Mp before the season unless you're completely throwing in the towel on trying to win.

I think you at least give the roster a chance to not suck and then if they still do you ship him out by the TDL or sooner depending on how bad the suckage is.

I'm not worried about his value tanking by holding onto him. He's not that old and he's not injury prone. And he has a good body of work. Keeping him a bit longer won't tank his trade value.

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
I don't see the point in moving Mp before the season unless you're completely throwing in the towel on trying to win.

I think you at least give the roster a chance to not suck and then if they still do you ship him out by the TDL or sooner depending on how bad the suckage is.

I'm not worried about his value tanking by holding onto him. He's not that old and he's not injury prone. And he has a good body of work. Keeping him a bit longer won't tank his trade value.
They missed the playoffs the last 2yrs and got older, not better this off season. McGroarty adds some excitement but you're expecting what? A piss poor head coach that was fired and is now an assistant coach to magically fix a dipshit coach and his shit system when he's literally the same kind of coach with the same philosophy?

This team is no different than the last 2 seasons except the last 2 seasons happened and it's what we can now expect as the norm and not be shocked about it. I'd move MP if the offers are good now before this team plays even worse and his value drops because of it.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
They missed the playoffs the last 2yrs and got older, not better this off season. McGroarty adds some excitement but you're expecting what? A piss poor head coach that was fired and is now an assistant coach to magically fix a dipshit coach and his shit system when he's literally the same kind of coach with the same philosophy?

This team is no different than the last 2 seasons except the last 2 seasons happened and it's what we can now expect as the norm and not be shocked about it. I'd move MP if the offers are good now before this team plays even worse and his value drops because of it.
I don't disagree with any of this but if their goal is to make at least a token effort at contending then trading away their best LHD is definitely not in line with that goal.

I'm assuming that since Sidney Crosby is still on the roster and hasn't yet asked out that they're going to try to make the playoffs no matter how stacked the odds are against them, and if that's their goal then they should probably be patient about trading MP and wait to see if the team actually has a realistic shot at that before getting rid of him.

If they don't care at all about even giving Sid a faint chance at a playoff spot then they should just start tearing it down, but I don't think that's how they're approaching things.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013

What? You don't think cycling out the bottom 6 again is going to fix things this time?

Reactions: Pens x

Goodleaf

Love a good stick.
Nov 15, 2010
I would guess he is held until the TDL so they can "see where they stand." Maybe a couple teams bid up his price slightly, or someone like JR uses his trick of a small add early to get who he wants. Looking at their roster, Van is my early pick where he ends up. JR loves his guys, and they could use an upgrade to their top 4.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
I’m not sure I agree. Depends on market. he can be retained to like 2M and has no trade protection.

Could see him getting a better haul at TDL for that reason or like a 2+3. I’d just hold and gamble his price goes up.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
You forgot about trading Smith

I definitely did. Another 2nd.

It's been a semi busy summer especially August that July stuff is slipping away.

I hope smith does well with the Rangers.
I would guess he is held until the TDL so they can "see where they stand." Maybe a couple teams bid up his price slightly, or someone like JR uses his trick of a small add early to get who he wants. Looking at their roster, Van is my early pick where he ends up. JR loves his guys, and they could use an upgrade to their top 4.

The trick has won him some cups

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
I think you trade Petts the second you find a deal that makes sense, doesn't matter if it's today or on TDL. Whether that's a 1st, two 2nds, some combination of picks/prospects, whatever. Dude cannot make it past the TDL here, let alone be re-signed.

I feel like the only exception to this would be if the Pens are actually quite good this year. But...

StIvany4Norris

Oct 13, 2020
I am once again saying Pettersson is the type of guy you extend if you want to be competitive sometime in the next few years

Forward lines as I see them today:
McGroarty-Crosby-Glass (see what the kids have)
Bunting-Malkin-Rust (speed to help Geno)
DOC-Hayes-Rakell (third line with size/skill, DOC helps with speed)
Lizotte-Eller-camp battle (let Eller babysit)

with realistic winner of 'camp battle' spot being one of Acciari, Puustinen, Beauvillier, Puljujarvi, Poulin, Ponomarev, Bemstrom

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
I think you trade Petts the second you find a deal that makes sense, doesn't matter if it's today or on TDL. Whether that's a 1st, two 2nds, some combination of picks/prospects, whatever. Dude cannot make it past the TDL here, let alone be re-signed.
yeah! you need to remove all doubt so the players that have no move type contracts will want out, so you can move them too.:nod:

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I think this might actually be the plan. Keep the team afloat as best as possible while the old core is still here, while simultaneously amassing as much draft capital and young players as possible by doing Hayes/Glass like deals, in stead of selling of everyone in one go. That way, when the time comes and they tank completely, they can get some high end prospects with top five picks, but still have a plethora of young players that have been in the system for a while to fill out the rest of the roster. By doing so they can avoid the scortched earth, burn it to the ground type of rebuild, and keep the room happy while Sid and Geno are still here.
That is absoluely 100% the plan. Dubas has said as much, as has Sullivan. Dubas's actions are 100% on this path as well.

I'd love to see one last gasp of Penguin playoff hockey with Sid but I also understand that's a longshot and the prospect of McKenna is tantalizing. Obviously that's pure fantasy but I think it's my subconscious acknowledging the fact that you have to get lucky with generational talents to build around. They don't come around often so you have to suck at the right time. Otherwise, you need A LOT of high picks. If they could really suck at the right time, that gives us the best chance to not spend an indeterminable amount of time in purgatory. And that's something I don't think a lot of people here understand. It's not as simple has "Sid, Geno out, we suck, we get 1OV, we get another Sid, we're back to contending for Cups". Outside of Edmonton and Toronto getting McDavid and Matthews, respectively, that has not been the case since Sid. And with that, each of those teams spent several years prior collecting high picks (RNH, Hall, Draisaitl) & (Nylander, Marner, Reilly).

Looking back at what Dubas was talking about, I think he wants the Rangers model of "you still have a core and decent players and you add a top shelf piece that puts you back in contention at the end of the core's career". Tanking for McKenna would be right in line with that. Not sure that gets done with the current roster but maybe you help force it a bit by trading Petts this year for 1st or 2 2nd, trading Rust or Rakell, and sending Letang (somehow) to Montreal. You still have a decent top 6 and EK as your #1. You then just fill the roster with existing guys. If you're lucky enough to get McKenna, you can add him right at the end and it's still in line with current timelines. You add a #1 center while you have a #1 wing at 24, one/two #1G's at 24, and a good supporting cast in their early 20's.
Also wonder what the plan for Blomqvist is. At some point this year one of Ned or Jarry gotta go to make room for him. Especially since we probably don’t want Murashov playing in the ECHL all too long.
Goalies are so fickle and needs arise throughout the year. Murashov signing over here certainly complicates things but part of me wonders if he won't be loaned out to a European league after camp.
Assuming his play is the same this year as last and we are willing to retain up to 50%, I can see a team wanting to get a deal done early. Could be a simple one like Petts @50% for 1st. Or they could work a few other things into like: Petts+Eller/Acciari/etc @ 50% for 2 2nds + Good Prospect.

Reactions: LiffLaff

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad