Salary Cap: Pens Summer Salary Thread: Dull days of August... Oooo! A trade!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Cap hit isn't a worry anymore I think, given how many come off the books in the next year or 2 makes it less of an issue, some you can kind of just hang on to or buyout near the end if need be, but I don't see much of it an issue unless Sullivan coaches them into an issue by making them unmovable.

Edit: Before CBJ had a regime change, they were super interested in Bryan Rust, I know Detroit was recently and they have Kane on a 1yr deal, but I can see them still being interested. Pettersson not being moved yet is a huge mistake on Dubas' part.
I don't think they will trade Rust. I think they view him as another senior guy who will help guide the next generation of players. MAYBE send him out as a UFA at the TDL but he might be more valuable to us than what we get in a trade unless one of our recent trades or picks really breaks out.

I was going through trying to project what we might look like in 2-3 years and the only conclusion I came to is that...it's nearly impossible to tell. I think they should ship Pettersson off at the TDL for likely a 1st rounder in return (Chiarot as a comparable). I think they can also off-load several depth guys throughout the season - Eller, Acciari, Hayes, Beauvillier, etc - if things aren't shaping up well in the standings. You MIGHT get a collection of 4th and 5ths for them but that's fine. You can retain on them to boost payment and then you can weaponize the cap space and act as a 3rd party for other retention.

Dream scenario is in the coming season, they are mediocre. At the TDL or during the summer, they trade out Rust and Rakell for decent returns (this assumes they already moved Pettersson at the TDL). They roll into 2025-2026 with something like:

McGroarty-Sid-DOC
Bunting-Geno-Koivunen
Poulin-Pono-Glass
Puljujarvi-Hayes-Accari

and they finish bottom 5 and then win the draft lottery for the 2026 to select no other than Gavin McKenna. The org and the NHL get their amazing twilight of his career Crosby storyline where you watch him mentor McKenna and then hand him the torch.
Serious question - Do a lot here think Cody Glass is brought in to be a C or RW? The breakout year he had in Nashville, he was mostly used as a C, it's his natural position and given his age, is it better to maybe move Hayes to the wing and use Glass at C?

I don't necessarily like the idea of Glass being moved to RW and push a natural winger out and then move Glass to C the following year and screw up something that shouldn't have happened if the GM dumped one of the f***ton veterans this idiotic coach loves to hoard.
I think Glass was brought in for the 3rd round pick we got. Then he'll fit wherever he fits best. Could be center, will mostly likely be wing. But he can fill in wherever. I see him filling a Heinen like role. If we have a top 6 injury, I think DOC gets the nod but after that, I think they try Glass.
I've seemingly forgotten a lot since CapFriendly went away.

PuckPedia is getting better though.
I think CapWages is the best replacement thus far. But nothing is knocking it out of the park like CF did but that also took time. It's really been a blow to my hockey deep dives :(

That said, kind of odd that a couple more prominent websites didn't try to buyup the market share. I thought EliteProspects and Hockeydb would have been in FANTASTIC positions to do it. Especially EP. You mimic the functionality like CF and combine that with their premium access, I'd pay for it.

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
Definitely my favorite Dubas move of the offseason. But it carries a huge potential to bite us in the ass when Yager turns into an NHL regular.

I didn't expect much from the off season once we didn't get any of the big fish.
I didn't really expect any to come here though.

Yager may bite us in the ass but every prospect chart has McGroarty higher.

We got a 2nd and 3rd to take on Hayes we gave back a 5th
3rd and 6th for Glass
Signed Lizotte - meh I'd rather wish we didn't.
Beauvillier 1 year signing can be buried to AHL if he sucks or some other team may grab him. Inconsequential
Matt Grzelcyk - 1 year deal. I don't hate it
St. IVANY Signed a 3 year two way deal
Signed all important prospects to deals
McGroarty for Yager which is a plus for us.
Signed Ned for 2 years

We dropped POJ and I hope he does well elsewhere

We didn't get PLD (meh I wanted to swing but maybe the lockeroom didn't want him or Dubas didn't want)
Laine - I think our price was high for him so never a chance.

Overall I give us a good off season.

We gained
2nd 2 3rds and a 6th for a 5th rounder.
Glass is here 1 year
Hayes for 2 years

After this year almost 3 million comes back to us with Petry and Rielly retention spots.

I give Dubas a solid B+.

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I didn't expect much from the off season once we didn't get any of the big fish.
I didn't really expect any to come here though.

Yager may bite us in the ass but every prospect chart has McGroarty higher.

We got a 2nd and 3rd to take on Hayes we gave back a 5th
3rd and 6th for Glass
Signed Lizotte - meh I'd rather wish we didn't.
Beauvillier 1 year signing can be buried to AHL if he sucks or some other team may grab him. Inconsequential
Matt Grzelcyk - 1 year deal. I don't hate it
St. IVANY Signed a 3 year two way deal
Signed all important prospects to deals
McGroarty for Yager which is a plus for us.
Signed Ned for 2 years

We dropped POJ and I hope he does well elsewhere

We didn't get PLD (meh I wanted to swing but maybe the lockeroom didn't want him or Dubas didn't want)
Laine - I think our price was high for him so never a chance.

Overall I give us a good off season.

We gained
2nd 2 3rds and a 6th for a 5th rounder.
Glass is here 1 year
Hayes for 2 years

After this year almost 3 million comes back to us with Petry and Rielly retention spots.

I give Dubas a solid B+.
Honestly, for where the organization is at, it was a decent summer so far for Dubas. But he really, REALLY, needs to start trimming the fat off this roster. We are way too heavy with bottom 6, non-impact players. At a minimum, two need to go, and that assume Nieto is on LTIRetirement.

Eller and Acciari are redundant if you have Hayes and Lizotte.

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
Honestly, for where the organization is at, it was a decent summer so far for Dubas. But he really, REALLY, needs to start trimming the fat off this roster. We are way too heavy with bottom 6, non-impact players. At a minimum, two need to go, and that assume Nieto is on LTIRetirement.

Eller and Acciari are redundant if you have Hayes and Lizotte.
I definitely agree.

When we signed Lizotte I was like but we have Eller and Accairi and Hayes now. We need space for young cheap guys. Lizottes are good when we have a great top 6.

I wonder if we have so many putting McGroarty in the top 6h in hopes he succeeds and makes the top 6 look better.

Like It's actually a shame Crosby has to play beside Rust or Rakell and that's it.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
The off-season has been a good one by Dubas because he has done a very good job at adding assets without giving up anything of value. They've gotten an extra 2 2nds and 2 3rds by trading Smith and taking on Glass and Hayes, that's good asset management. If he can trade Eller for another 3rd, that's an added benefit. The Yager for McGroarty move is a nice one because it gives them a more NHL ready top prospect, but I wouldn't call it anything more than a B because Yager himself is a great prospect as well.

If he would have moved Jarry's deal, I'd firmly have this off-season at an A. But as is, probably bordering between a B and B+? That seems pretty fair.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
I don't think they will trade Rust. I think they view him as another senior guy who will help guide the next generation of players. MAYBE send him out as a UFA at the TDL but he might be more valuable to us than what we get in a trade unless one of our recent trades or picks really breaks out.
i think you might be assuming we will be interested in not being a bottom feeder for a few years.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
Definitely my favorite Dubas move of the offseason. But it carries a huge potential to bite us in the ass when Yager turns into an NHL regular.
not so sure about the "huge". we have a young rh center that could help fill his spot on a lower level. so while we still might get bit on the ass i'm hoping it's not huge.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
My hot take is I think Glass needs to actually make the team. Not so sure he’s penciled in.
100%. I still think we made a trade before the season ends, likely Eller or Acciari, but with the gluttony of guys we have, Glass could easily be a HS. I can't see us waiving him early in the season but it might come to that.

McGroarty-Sid-Rust
Bunting-Geno-Rakell
DOC-Hayes-Beauvillier
Lizotte-Eller-Acciari
without a trade.

McGroarty-Sid-Rust
Bunting-Geno-Rakell
DOC-Hayes-Beauvillier
Lizotte-Eller/Acciari-XXXX

with one trade. In which case: Glass, Puljujarvi, Poulin, and Puustinen all compete for that spot. I think you can give it to one and keep 1-2 as a HS but then you have to waive one or two of them. Early in the season, I don't think it matters so I imagine they pick Poulin and Puustinen but it may come down to camp and pre-season.

Gone are the days of "psh, they don't have anyone, I'm good." I think it's "nut up or shut up" time for a couple of these guys, specifically Puljujarvi and Poulin.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
We have a lot of 2hd 3rd and 4th rounders over the next three drafts. Kyle is doing a great job in stock piling high draft picks. Hopefully we can sell off some vets at the deadline and pick up more picks and prospects. He's off to a nice start.

'24 no 2hd, but THREE 3rds
'25 TWO 2hds, TWO 3RDS
'26 TWO 2HDS, TWO 4THS

In addition to our reg picks.

Liking the McGroaty deal the more I research it.

LiffLaff

Crazy? Me?
Feb 22, 2010
Vardal
It's possible that if we continue our trend, we may not have an option. You take a away Sid and Malkin, we are no stronger than any bottom 5 team out there.
I think this might actually be the plan. Keep the team afloat as best as possible while the old core is still here, while simultaneously amassing as much draft capital and young players as possible by doing Hayes/Glass like deals, in stead of selling of everyone in one go. That way, when the time comes and they tank completely, they can get some high end prospects with top five picks, but still have a plethora of young players that have been in the system for a while to fill out the rest of the roster. By doing so they can avoid the scortched earth, burn it to the ground type of rebuild, and keep the room happy while Sid and Geno are still here.

Kasperi kapanen

Jul 23, 2014
Also wonder what the plan for Blomqvist is. At some point this year one of Ned or Jarry gotta go to make room for him. Especially since we probably don’t want Murashov playing in the ECHL all too long.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad