Salary Cap: Pens Summer Salary Thread: Dull days of August... Oooo! A trade!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
Cap hit isn't a worry anymore I think, given how many come off the books in the next year or 2 makes it less of an issue, some you can kind of just hang on to or buyout near the end if need be, but I don't see much of it an issue unless Sullivan coaches them into an issue by making them unmovable.

Edit: Before CBJ had a regime change, they were super interested in Bryan Rust, I know Detroit was recently and they have Kane on a 1yr deal, but I can see them still being interested. Pettersson not being moved yet is a huge mistake on Dubas' part.

Last edited:
Reactions: KrisLetAngry

GilbertSeinfeld

Mar 4, 2024
Cap hit isn't a worry anymore I think, given how many come off the books in the next year or 2 makes it less of an issue, some you can kind of just hang on to or buyout near the end if need be, but I don't see much of it an issue unless Sullivan coaches them into an issue by making them unmovable.
The cap won't be an issue in the future if they stop signing stupid players to stupid cap hits.

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
The cap won't be an issue in the future if they stop signing stupid players to stupid cap hits.
Well more or less just dumping the useless ones first before Sullivan comes to Kindergarten Kyle with more useless options that he signs for that dipshit.

Like dump some more before you go and get Lizotte, Aho, Beauvillier, Hayes, etc. To keep adding more options for Sullivan to use over players he should use is just f***ing irritating.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Surely it would speed things up, yes. That's a ton of picks we're talking about, if they go all-in. Some would hit.
They can do a re-tool, but it won't be effective. The end result will be less quality on the roster, fewer guys outperforming their cap hits, and it will prolong their return to legit contention.
Minnesota tried it, for an extremely long time. It leads to purgatory.
Relying on free agency and trades that much is just not the way. That's for touch-ups, not building an entirely new foundation. The net gains in those transactions are just not big enough to push you over the top. It puts too much pressure on Spezza or Dubas to constantly win trades.

Re-tools are good for when you got a good asset pool and farm system already, and are a small number of big transactions away.
Starting from basically ground zero, like the Pens are at, is entirely different.
Honestly given the age of the core and how the system is almost completely barren I'd say the most likely scenario right now is that the Pens end up tanking soon anyways whether they blow up the roster or not.

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
Serious question - Do a lot here think Cody Glass is brought in to be a C or RW? The breakout year he had in Nashville, he was mostly used as a C, it's his natural position and given his age, is it better to maybe move Hayes to the wing and use Glass at C?

I don't necessarily like the idea of Glass being moved to RW and push a natural winger out and then move Glass to C the following year and screw up something that shouldn't have happened if the GM dumped one of the f***ton veterans this idiotic coach loves to hoard.

Rakell67

Sep 28, 2017
PA
Serious question - Do a lot here think Cody Glass is brought in to be a C or RW? The breakout year he had in Nashville, he was mostly used as a C, it's his natural position and given his age, is it better to maybe move Hayes to the wing and use Glass at C?

I don't necessarily like the idea of Glass being moved to RW and push a natural winger out and then move Glass to C the following year and screw up something that shouldn't have happened if the GM dumped one of the f***ton veterans this idiotic coach loves to hoard.
Hayes won 57% of his faceoffs last season while Glass won 43%. The previous year they had similar %s.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
It's deeper than just the immediate returns on a trade. It's also everything they can do with all the money that gets left behind. We're talking about Sid re-signing at 3 x 10.5M or something.
31.5 million. Not to mention the 8.7M he has left right now.
Rust has 20.5M left. Rakell has 20M.
Look at how they just weaponized cap space this summer, on smaller deals. 2.5M for Glass - who is probably worth like 1M himself - got us a 3rd and a 6th.
Hayes' 7M over 2 years got us a 2nd, and he may still have good scoring value in the tank. One year removed from 54 points.
In Rakell's case, even if you added a small sweetener to off-load him completely, you can easily recoup that by using the money later. That's a much better idea than just having him stay here and play out his contract, clogging up big cap space for 4 years for no reason.

Karlsson should also go at 50% in 2025-26. That's a very good option for one of the 2 freed up retention slots.
Trade Pettersson now, instead of at the deadline, when the return will be worse. His play serves no purpose for Cups here anymore. All it's accomplishing is making us draft lower.

The Letang deal is tough, admittedly. Signed until 42. But I'd need to see if a GM desperate for immediate results can be convinced first. If not, then yeah, you unfortunately eat that one.
Malkin I think will never play on another NHL team, even if they asked him to waive. He would just go to Russia. He'd get emotional and peace out of North America.
Anyways, there's only 12.2M left on his deal, and he can still help boost the value of others. So that's not too bad.
There really isn't such a thing as clogging up cap space for a tanking team, so I'm not sure what you're talking about regarding Rakell. Do you think the Penguins will be competing in 4 years?

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011

Him being at wing certainly seems more likely right now unless Dubas moves out Eller or someone before the season starts.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
There really isn't such a thing as clogging up cap space for a tanking team, so I'm not sure what you're talking about regarding Rakell. Do you think the Penguins will be competing in 4 years?
You can always use cap space towards your goal, whatever that is. Always.
If you're tanking then that cap space is allocated towards taking on bad contracts in exchange for futures.
Rakell is not a bad contract that they were recently compensated for to take on. He is not like Hayes or Glass.

If you off-load him, you can use his 20 mil to restock the cupboard. That's better than him just sitting here for 4 years on a team that doesn't need him for anything anymore.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
You can always use cap space towards your goal, whatever that is. Always.
If you're tanking then that cap space is allocated towards taking on bad contracts in exchange for futures.
Rakell is not a bad contract that they were recently compensated for to take on. He is not like Hayes or Glass.

If you off-load him, you can use his 20 mil to restock the cupboard. That's better than him just sitting here for 4 years on a team that doesn't need him for anything anymore.

And then you have a bunch of players on your roster who don't give a shit about team identity, are just sitting around collecting a paycheck and you create an awful environment for your youth.

See the Buffalo Sabres, Arizona Coyotes, Montreal Canadiens, etc.

You're also in fantasy land if you think Rakell at 5 mil x 4 after putting up 37 pts has any value.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
You're also in fantasy land if you think Rakell at 5 mil x 4 after putting up 37 pts has any value.
Like I told another, even if you trade Rakell with a sweetener, you'll get that back and more when you use his cap space over the 4 years. It's 20 million.
They just used 9.5M to get a 2nd, 3rd and 6th this summer. That doesn't even account for the possibility that Hayes does well here, and becomes tradeable for more at the deadline or in summer 2025.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018

I don't think Glass was brought in for any purpose, outside of the 3rd and 6th that came with him. It was just Dubas grabbing picks where he can.
I think Hayes is gonna get Massachusetts boy preferential treatment under these 2 coaches, and get 3C no matter how he plays.
That leaves 4C. If Eller's still here in October, I see that going to him. He just played Center last year under Sullivan, and did pretty well 2-way.

What Glass really needs is injuries to the guys in his way, to loosen up the logjam for minutes.

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
I don't think Glass was brought in for any purpose, outside of the 3rd and 6th that came with him. It was just Dubas grabbing picks where he can.
I think Hayes is gonna get Massachusetts boy preferential treatment under these 2 coaches, and get 3C no matter how he plays.
That leaves 4C. If Eller's still here in October, I see that going to him. He just played Center last year under Sullivan, and did pretty well 2-way.

What Glass really needs is injuries to the guys in his way, to loosen up the logjam for minutes.
You don't need to make me feel sicker about the future of this team. Mike Sullivan still being there does the trick mate.

I'd prefer Glass to be a RW. I think it'll help him ease his way in here.

Reality is he's probably injured and doesn't do jack shit here tbh. That's the pattern of his career since his youth.
I'm just not a fan that it'll block other right wingers more deserving but at this point hope isn't part of this teams vernacular.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
They can still retain another contract. Buyouts are a different category.
You right. Idk why I forgot that.
The problem with the Johnson contract is everyone, except GMJR, knew it was terrible signing as soon as it happened.
I'm still pretty convinced he signed him just to help him out, a player he drafted and had a soft spot for after what happened with his parents.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
You don't need to make me feel sicker about the future of this team. Mike Sullivan still being there does the trick mate.
In this case, I'm not sure Glass deserves to be ahead of Hayes, Eller or even Lizotte though.
His career scoring is super awful, and his defense was atrocious last season. I could definitely see him being outplayed by some Wilkes guys too, if they're given a chance.
We don't really know what Ponomarev can bring. Puljujarvi at least is a very good defensive player. Puustinen should be ahead of him too, by all rights.
Glass' AAV sorta acts as a shield for him, but we'll see how he's used.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
If Sid is asked to waive for the sake of the future and give a list of teams, he will. That's the kind of guy he is. Team-first. Always was.
He wouldn't flex his NMC and say "f*** ya'll I'm staying 'til I retire."
Judging by the fact that he hasn't re-signed yet and where his mind's at, it's pretty clear that 1 more big push would make it happen.

The return on Malkin and whatever you can do with his money is inconsequential by comparison.
don't underestimate his desire to play on one team.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Edit: Before CBJ had a regime change, they were super interested in Bryan Rust, I know Detroit was recently and they have Kane on a 1yr deal, but I can see them still being interested.

Weren't we informed that Rust is part of the "core"? I don't foresee him being traded.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad