Salary Cap: Pens Summer Salary Thread: Dull days of August... Oooo! A trade!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Don't threaten me with a bad time mate.

This isn't a team that should be giving anyone a f***ing PTO though, so much garbage already on the roster in Hayes, Ludvig, Acciari, Bemstrom, Sullivan, Dubas, Nieto, etc.
I wouldn't call Ludvig garbage. He was good for us until his injury. As far as depth dmen go, a depth chart of: JSI, Aho, Ludvig, Shea, and Kral isn't half bad. Certainly better than yesteryear.

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
I wouldn't call Ludvig garbage. He was good for us until his injury. As far as depth dmen go, a depth chart of: JSI, Aho, Ludvig, Shea, and Kral isn't half bad. Certainly better than yesteryear.
No he was shit, I think a lot of blokes here were somehow disillusioned into think Mr Knock-Myself-The-f***-Out Ludvig was anything special. He's a 9th defenseman on this team maybe even lower. I would rank Shea and St Ivany above him and also Aho.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
No he was shit, I think a lot of blokes here were somehow disillusioned into think Mr Knock-Myself-The-f***-Out Ludvig was anything special. He's a 9th defenseman on this team maybe even lower. I would rank Shea and St Ivany above him and also Aho.
I think you're being a bit harsh on him, honestly. I mean, yeah, he's a bottom pairing dman but he fills that role decently well at a cheap cost. Hard to ask for more. Could be Rudwedel.

And yeah, my list wasn't "in order" or anything. I really liked Shea and JSI did great, so I have both above him as well. Aho, TBD.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
I want to be optimistic about Glass not being worthless here but in his career he has averaged 62% OZ starts. Sullivan is going to give him 55-65% DZ starts instead and then act shocked when the guy has like 6 points in 50 games.

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
I think you're being a bit harsh on him, honestly. I mean, yeah, he's a bottom pairing dman but he fills that role decently well at a cheap cost. Hard to ask for more. Could be Rudwedel.

And yeah, my list wasn't "in order" or anything. I really liked Shea and JSI did great, so I have both above him as well. Aho, TBD.
The Pens were ass defensively last year and he wasn't that great. I think some might have felt he was better than he was based on the situation and surroundings but his play as a whole was not worth carrying him on the main roster even as a 7th. I see him as wbs depth and on the depth chart he's below St Ivany, Aho, and Shea.

Ideally if we didn't have Shea or Ludvig we'd be fine. Aho is likely playing over those two and St Ivany is essentially in camp with a spot to lose given he's the third right handed defender and he plays a style much needed on that side.

Ludvig is like a Trotman or Czuzcman or whatever the f*** his name was. Generic depth wankers that you don't put much thought into. Unless you're Sullivan.

f*** Chad Ruhwedel and his shitty play. Sullivan loved him and kept playing the f***ing turd while he nerfed every partner he had with how stupid he is defensively.

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
This is not the team to be a recovering alcoholic on.
This isn't a team to be on if you have any mental health or substance abuse issues whether it's drugs or alcohol. Because this dipshit coaching staff will definitely make all of those vices enticing to cope with their stupidity and that's after the mental health breakdowns that are definitely going to reoccur.

Likely why Laine and his agent don't even have the Pens on their list.

Would've been cool to give Vrana a PTO but he went back to a place he knows for that. Can't blame him. But also doesn't mean we can't sign him.
For what roster spot mate? You also forget our coach is an ignorant twat. He'd put Vrana in the protocol within the first month.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
I want to be optimistic about Glass not being worthless here but in his career he has averaged 62% OZ starts. Sullivan is going to give him 55-65% DZ starts instead and then act shocked when the guy has like 6 points in 50 games.
Of note is also ice time. When he got 35 points, he averaged 14:46. Gifted a lot of minutes at 5v5 he didn't really deserve.
Puustinen for example got 11:45, despite producing super well with those limited minutes. What is Glass gonna get if he doesn't?
Zohorna had 9:46 in his final season here, to give an indication.

What he really needs is injuries in the top-six to move up, at a time when he's scoring.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Perhaps it's the eternal moronic optimist in me but I have this strange feeling that this team is going to exceed expectations and grab the last playoff spot in the Metro this year.

I just expect the bottom six plus powerplay to be better and I think that might be enough to get them in.

Feel free to quote this in November when we're 8 games out and Dubas is talking about how much he believes in Sully still :laugh:

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Perhaps it's the eternal moronic optimist in me but I have this strange feeling that this team is going to exceed expectations and grab the last playoff spot in the Metro this year.

I just expect the bottom six plus powerplay to be better and I think that might be enough to get them in.

Feel free to quote this in November when we're 8 games out and Dubas is talking about how much he believes in Sully still :laugh:

I mean the shooting percentage has to level out eventually right?

• Haha
Reactions: Pancakes

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
If Glass only pots 6pts in 50gp, it won't be because of zone starts. Zone starts are a worthless stat to measure performance.

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020

I can see it. A lot of rosters have holes. It will be a tight race. We’ll get stomped in the playoffs probably but I don’t think it’s crazy to see them make it. I mean half the league makes it.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018

There's things that are gonna get worse too, not just improvements or encores.

The best way to assess this is to make a Venn diagram for what get better, stays the same or declines.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh

sully has shown that (at times) he can get the b team to out preform the a team.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
If Glass only pots 6pts in 50gp, it won't be because of zone starts. Zone starts are a worthless stat to measure performance.
Getting more O-zone starts frequently leads to more points.
Getting more D-zone starts frequently leads to less.

There's outliers, sure. But if we're talking seasonal expectations, he's probably f***ed if he gets like 30-35% O-zone starts.
That's because you have to sacrifice too big of a % of your shifts getting up ice, set up, and generating chances.

If you're having an explosive offensive year in the bottom-six with 70% D-zone starts, what's likely happening is that you're capitalizing at an unsustainable rate, being clinical off the rush.
Boyle had a season like that, for example. It happens, but don't bank on it.

Better to just put a player in a position to succeed.

Reactions: Malkinstheman

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I mean the shooting percentage has to level out eventually right?
You'd think even Sully could only suppress that so much lol

There's things that are gonna get worse too, not just improvements or encores.

The best way to assess this is to make a Venn diagram for what get better, stays the same or declines.
Oh sure. It's very easy to see us being as bad or worse and I wouldn't argue with anyone making that take. How could I?

I just have a weird feeling that won't be the case. But we'll see.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad