Salary Cap: Pens Summer Salary Thread: Dull days of August... Oooo! A trade!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
I'm sure Spezza is being groomed to be the next GM of the penguins.
I figure this is similar to the Blues situation with a 2 year plan.

I would have preferred a veteran GM to maybe help Dubas in negotiations in the sense of hey go do this but I pull the strings.

O well though. I thought Dubas did great last summer. Graves was a bad signing. Jarry was but I didn't disagree on no better option.

I liked this summer a lot in what he did.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
I don't see how the compensation messes up Armstrong's team in anyway if the Oilers fail to match. 2nd and 3rd (?) seem fair compensation for the players he'd be acquiring. Possibly a bit of an underpay on the open market.
I'm talking about the required AAV, in addition to those picks.
Broberg 2 x 4.58M + 2nd
Holloway 2 x 2.29M + 3rd

Broberg is a 3rd pairing D-man. The Oil were considering offering him 1.8M per.

It just looks sus to me, like Armstrong has it out for Bowman. St Louis and Chicago were rivals before.

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Broberg 2 x 4.58M + 2nd
Holloway 2 x 2.29M + 3rd

It just looks sus to me, like Armstrong has it out for Bowman. St Louis and Chicago were rivals before.

Isn't the point of offer sheets to have it out for teams. That's what makes them fun.

Last edited:
Reactions: KrisLetAngry

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
This hurts the Blues more than it does the Oilers. That's why it's rarely done.
But sure, it's fun. I'm all for Armstrong trolling if he's just yolo'ing this year.

If they have the cap space I don't see the issue. You take a 24 year old former 1st who just had a great playoffs for a 2nd every day of the week.

Holloway for a 3rd too.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I’m not rooting for us to lose. Rebuilding sucks and nothing is guaranteed.

I’m just pointing historical evidence of what I believe is the most successful way to rebuild.

I just wish we would pick a direction. If we want to compete the next three years then commit to it. This half measure stuff worries me.
I get that, but Dubas has no choice really but to try to do two things at once. We have at least 3, and maybe 4, HOFers on this current roster. So, bottoming out is not an option unless/until they are no longer on said roster. On the other hand, we are not a true Cup contender so we cannot keep doing what we have been doing since seemingly forever. That is, trading young assets for mediocre talent in the hope of getting back to 2017. The one thing I am happy about with Dubas is that he has at least gotten rid of that mentality. 2017 is in the past, SEVEN years ago now. It ain't coming back.

The reasons why we are not true contenders are obvious:

- this coach runs the entire show here now, but he is WAY past his expiration date. And he has held this team back for years now. His style does not work UNLESS there are players on the team that go against his philosophies. That is the only time we have won with this coach. But now that he has been given all of the power (seemingly, but I believe the evidence is overwhelming), we can't even acquire those types of players that would really really help us.

- the power play. This is partly due to the above situation. We used to have Kessel, and he was that type of player that goes counter to Sullivan's style, but his impact was way too big to ignore. And his impact on the PP was obvious. Laine is that type of player, but are we going to get him? I doubt it. Laine's impact on THIS team would probably be bigger than any impact for any other franchise in this league. But alas, Sullivan. To that end, Stamkos would have been an even better option this summer than Laine. Yeah, Stamkos makes no sense from an age standpoint, but his impact is greater. And he is low-maintenance. But we were never in on him, apparently. We preferred Kevin Hayes as a veteran acquisition because hey, we can get a draft pick attached to him (a draft pick that we have since traded away).

- we have no young impact players. In a salary cap world, these are crucial for success. We have been trading futures for so long that it is nearly impossible to have any impact players right now. I get that. But Dubas has actually built up our prospect pool nicely in a short period of time. Having some of these young players pan out is the only way to avoid going back to the 2003-04 Pittsburgh Penguins.

So that is where we are at. We have some intriguing young players. Will they get a shot this year? Probably not. Sullivan likes his vets and he runs the show. So Dubas has done both a great job and also a poor job with this roster. But since he cannot fire this coach, then he has to continue to stockpile future assets in case one day there will be a different voice behind the bench. Maybe FSG can promote Sullivan to King of Massachusetts, or something. That might be the only hope.

We need the likes of Blomqvist, Pickering, Yager, Koivunen, Ponomarev and others (some of whom are not yet drafted) to learn from the likes of Letang, Karlsson, Crosby and Malkin. We need to see some kind of passing of the torch. If we can have even one season where most of those names I listed are all on the same team, then I think we can actually have a successful transition from one era to the next.

Having the likes of Hayes, Beauvillier, Lizotte, Grzelcyk et al on this team right now is mostly a waste of precious time, imo. That all said, I am probably more optimistic about this team's playoff chances than most here. That is mostly because I do like how they played down the stretch. And for the record, I have no issue starting the season with a first line of O'Connor-Crosby-Rust. If they can handle all of the heavy lifting, that might provide us with two other scoring lines (again, if Sullivan decides to do something he usually does not do, which is a major question mark). We can't do this with Lars Eller as the third-line center, but if he is No. 4 that could work out. Even though Sullivan will play the Eller line more than the third line almost certainly. I still think it would work better than the alternative (2 offensive, 2 defensive lines).

The only thing I am asking Sullivan is to give our younger prospects a LEGIT chance in training camp. If that forces Dubas to waive someone he just acquired, or trade some surplus forwards, or even make a tough decision in goal, so be it.

Reactions: Andy99

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
Glass is 25 years old
6th overall pick
Got a 3rd to take him
Why not give him 1 year to see if he works out ….
Can’t lose nothing
I think the majority of us here believe that is a great pick up. Worse case he is 1.2 million dead cap if we send him down.

Best case is probably he does a good job playing a majority in the bottom 6. With spot duty in the top 6. Signs again with us below 2 million or we trade him because he is worth something.

Broberg 2 x 4.58M + 2nd
Holloway 2 x 2.29M + 3rd

It could be sus but I think this is just good for them.

This hurts the Blues more than it does the Oilers. That's why it's rarely done.
But sure, it's fun. I'm all for Armstrong trolling if he's just yolo'ing this year.

Blues have a majority of the important RFAs signed. They also are weaponizing cap space. Something a few of us have said should be done.

I have said it a ton here. Top 4 defensemen are valuable. Broberg may be a year away from being that low end #4 but to get a young top 4 / future top 4 defensemen for a 2nd round pick. That is just straight up a positive.

Worse case scenario = lost a 2nd and 9 million

Best case scenario = Broberg at 25 signs a long term deal and fits in the top 4 or heck trade him for more than a 2nd.

Reactions: Ulf5

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
I have said it a ton here. Top 4 defensemen are valuable. Broberg may be a year away from being that low end #4 but to get a young top 4 / future top 4 defensemen for a 2nd round pick. That is just straight up a positive.

Worse case scenario = lost a 2nd and 9 million

Best case scenario = Broberg at 25 signs a long term deal and fits in the top 4 or heck trade him for more than a 2nd.
I can respect optimist GMs who like to roll the dice for potential big future gains, I suppose.

Don't like the math in this situation though, for St. Louis. It's likely to be a net negative imo.
I understand that their blue line situation is desperate though.

Would have opted for a middle pairing, established UFA D-man, instead of this roundabout, Hail Mary route. Or just trade for one.
Even if you're slightly overpaying to acquire him, it would likely hurt you less than this deal will.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Curious guys, when is Sid expected to sign an extension? Wasn't that the chatter? 10M per?

Sid's birthday was carrying a lot of water for this team's fans. Now that it's passed crack journalists like Yohe and Rossi have assured us that it's all just a formality and will happen at their leisure.

Reactions: BLONG7

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Regardless of outcome - both offer sheets well worth it and reasonable.

Will it work out? No clue. But worst case scenario is well worth the upside.

Reactions: Ulf5

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018

I’m not sure about Broberg. That’s a lot of dough for a guy who has done nothing at the NHL level and is 23 already. Holloway is definitely worth it.

Does mess with Edmontons lineup projections though so I approve.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Ulf5

Feb 21, 2017

Not like it's crippling their cap. Have a full roster with over $7 million in space according to puckpedia. Certainly can dump more cap if need be in the future.
Broberg may prove worth that contract just yet- still only 23.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
I’m not sure about Broberg. That’s a lot of dough for a guy who has done nothing at the NHL level and is 23 already. Holloway is definitely worth it.

Does mess with Edmontons lineup projections though so I approve.
It’s just 2 years though

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
If he can just put up what he did the previous year in Nashville, big win.

Yeah especially with his terrific defensive metrics in 2022-2023. He seems like he was a really strong 2-way 3C for the Predators that season.

Not holding my breath based on the performance of reclamation projects the Penguins have had in the last few years, but Glass is absolutely a worthwhile one to gamble on.

Reactions: Le Magnifique 66

GilbertSeinfeld

Mar 4, 2024
It better be Tomas Tatar and his prodigious +/- from several seasons ago or I'm throwing in the towel on this season in advance.

Oh who am I kidding I'm doing that, anyway.
I haven't had time to see who played for Boston U or the Soo Greyhounds, or maybe both!

Crap, Kevin Shattenkirk is a Terrier.

Nick Cousins played for the Greyhounds.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad