Salary Cap: Pens Salary Thread: Pens Ownership "Dubas... that Coca-Cola machine. I want you to shoot the lock off it. There may be some waiver players in there."

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

BobRossColton

Jun 27, 2011
Denver
I've seen worse ideas. Girard is OK and locked in at 5M until like 2027 while MP will be looking for a large raise. Ned is a FA, looking for a sizable raise himself and probably not worth a ton so the first helps cover the difference in value between MP/Girard though doesn't stretch all the way to also cover the value of Ned who is having a great year... so you'd like to see a little extra.

Like I've said though I just don't have much interest in low end first rounders. Would rather that be one of COL top three prospects. Whoever that might be. In the end I'd pass but it's not some garbo deal.
I don't think gulyayev will be over till 2027, Ritchie might be untouchable for a rental and 1.5 season rental

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
So Calgary isn't trading Markstrom and Saros has an outrageous price tag...

Dubas isn't going to trade Jarry 6 months into a 5 year deal but Ned could get some decent value potentially. Schmid+2nd from NJ?

Reactions: SEALBound

Come on

Jul 28, 2021
After next year the contracts of Rust, Karlsson and Geno are easily moveable as the salary is far less than the AAV. Karlsson after next year has less than 14 million for the remaining 2 years which is really cheap. Rust drops as well. Hextall I do think front loaded Rust and Geno and even Letang knowing the core would be done by then. No reason to retain on these.
NTCs

displacedpensfan

Dec 23, 2008
I wonder if Dubas tries to do something very difficult at the trade deadline: Buy AND sell at the same time. Think deals like:

PIT gets: Anthony Duclair, maybe a 6th or 7th
VGK gets: Reilly Smith
SJS gets: Futures

Same concept goes with Ned-we move him out for a piece that improves the top 9, possibly involving a third team. Selling whatever margins we have for error to at least get to the point where we have three functional offensive lines.

Also wouldn't mind having Zucker back, but that's probably a stretch at this point.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I wonder if Dubas tries to do something very difficult at the trade deadline: Buy AND sell at the same time. Think deals like:

Same concept goes with Ned-we move him out for a piece that improves the top 9, possibly involving a third team. Selling whatever margins we have for error to at least get to the point where we have three functional offensive lines.

Also wouldn't mind having Zucker back, but that's probably a stretch at this point.

Duclair sucks

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010

If we are going back to SJS, I would rather get Barabanov. I think he'd be a solid fit on the 3rd line with Bemstrom.

To Pit: 3rd
To VGK: Smith

To SJS: 3rd
To Pit: Barabanov

Part of the value there is ridding ourselves of the $5mil deal next year.

I would also do Smith for Zucker straight up if we end up trading Jake for a nice package.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Is that not how we do things in Pittsburgh?
We are FOR a large amount of overpassing for the "pretty goal", NOT "Pretty Goals" that come about as the result of pure individual talent.

Malkin's lucky Therrien didn't launch him into the sun after his "shades of Mario" goal in 2007.

Reactions: BusinessGoose

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
If we are going back to SJS, I would rather get Barabanov. I think he'd be a solid fit on the 3rd line with Bemstrom.

To Pit: 3rd
To VGK: Smith

To SJS: 3rd
To Pit: Barabanov

Part of the value there is ridding ourselves of the $5mil deal next year.

I would also do Smith for Zucker straight up if we end up trading Jake for a nice package.
Haven't followed Barbanov this season, but wouldn't he command at least a 2hd?

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
After looking into this kid, I feel like he should be the sticking point for any Jake deal with Van. We need some pure skill in the pipeline.

Reactions: Ryder71

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
After looking into this kid, I feel like he should be the sticking point for any Jake deal with Van. We need some pure skill in the pipeline.
I would be good with Hoglander and a 1st, but LEKK would be preferred. Not sure what we could get in addition to LEKK.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Every now and then I'm reminded of that crankshaft trade and still throw up a little in my mouth...

I'd retain 50% on Smith for a 1st, considering that's probably going to be the only 1st the Pens will have next year....
No retaining on Smith and his 1 season left. The Pens are already on the hook for Petry & Johnson and 2.4 ish and use up their last retention slot.

Reactions: Andy99

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
No retaining on Smith and his 1 season left. The Pens are already on the hook for Petry & Johnson and 2.4 ish and use up their last retention slot.
Depends on the return.

Say Vegas wants both Jake and Smith for this year and Smith for next year. Say they offer Brisson, Dorofeyev, 1st, 2nd. I would retain 50% on both as while Smith only has one year left and we'd be on the hook for $2.5mil, we'd have a cheap RFA in Brisson or Doro to counterbalance that. If it gets us extra young assets that we so desperately need, then yes.

Now, Smith @ 50% for a 2nd, probably not.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Depends on the return.

Say Vegas wants both Jake and Smith for this year and Smith for next year. Say they offer Brisson, Dorofeyev, 1st, 2nd. I would retain 50% on both as while Smith only has one year left and we'd be on the hook for $2.5mil, we'd have a cheap RFA in Brisson or Doro to counterbalance that. If it gets us extra young assets that we so desperately need, then yes.

Now, Smith @ 50% for a 2nd, probably not.
You can't do that, they only have one slot left.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
Canucks, Canes explored Elias Pettersson talks.

Wonder if there is any package that Dubas could put together to try for that. Guentzel extended would have to be part of it, and then the Pens would have to add.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad