Salary Cap: Pens Off Season Thread: Pre Free Agency Shenanigans!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Josey Wales

May 16, 2022
I personally prefer a platoon situation but yeah... you aren't wrong... the guy making those decisions has to be accounted for. And I can't blame people for having low confidence, there.

I know it's just the URL but "pivotal peace" says it all.
Yeah that is a tell

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
See, I actually wouldn't even say that's a Sullivan issue. I think it's a no-win situation for him, you either have an insanely short leash for your likely $5 million goalie or you wait too long. That's the big issues with goalie platoons, they work great in the regular season but what do you do in the playoffs? When do you know to yank one guy and replace him with the other goalie?

Look at how that sunk Boston this year, Ullmark was apparently super injured but they didn't go to Swayman until it was too late.

I definitely don't think it's an EASY decision for a coach. Hell look what over-coaching the position got Minny this past year, right? But I guess that's just part of the job. It already worked for the Penguins once not that long ago. Sometimes you have to make hard choices... I don't think we've seen enough of that and instead have watched this team just punt or take the easy way out.

I guess my thought with a platoon is you have two league-starter-ish options and options are good. Especially with goaltenders who are hot one week and ice cold the next. Also helps alleviate any durability issues.

Much of this is simply predicated on how you view goaltending. And obviously you and I differ, there haha

Reactions: Empoleon8771

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
See, I actually wouldn't even say that's a Sullivan issue. I think it's a no-win situation for him, you either have an insanely short leash for your likely $5 million goalie or you wait too long. That's the big issues with goalie platoons, they work great in the regular season but what do you do in the playoffs? When do you know to yank one guy and replace him with the other goalie?

Look at how that sunk Boston this year, Ullmark was apparently super injured but they didn't go to Swayman until it was too late.

I'm going to guess there's a very short list of teams with platoon situations where the team went from A to B in the playoffs where it worked.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I don't really see it as any kind of issue a conversation with the coach and the team going into the playoffs can't fix. The goaltenders know not both of them can play at the same time, after all.

It's a situation with potential pitfalls. But then again so is paying ONE guy 8+ million dollars.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I'm going to guess there's a very short list of teams with platoon situations where the team went from A to B in the playoffs where it worked.

I think the only 2 I can think of are Pittsburgh in 2017 with Fleury-Murray and NYI in 2021 with Varlamov-Sorokin.

The Islanders pretty regularly swapped between Varlamov and Sorokin in that run they made it to Game 7 of the ECF, where they lost 1-0. Both goalies had exactly a .922 save% in the playoffs that year.

But with that being said, Sorokin-Varlamov is also way better than any goalie duo the Penguins could put together. If the Penguins had a guy like Sorokin, we wouldn't even be talking about the goalies. Those "platoon" situations seem more like a "we have 2 good starters" type of situation.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Hanifin and Lindholm are really interesting too. I'm sure Calgary won't give either away, but if the price makes sense, f*** it. Go big.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
That’s on coaches not the tandems.

Anyways, Korpisalo as our 1B is a great problem to have.

Dare say you're right.

But since coaches rarely make it work, I don't see the point in doing it. At least not for those reasons. Greatest tool in the world does no one any good if no one can figure out how to use it. Better to hand them something simpler to get right.

And you'll have to go some to convince me Korpisaalo is a good idea.

I think the only 2 I can think of are Pittsburgh in 2017 with Fleury-Murray and NYI in 2021 with Varlamov-Sorokin.

The Islanders pretty regularly swapped between Varlamov and Sorokin in that run they made it to Game 7 of the ECF, where they lost 1-0. Both goalies had exactly a .922 save% in the playoffs that year.

But with that being said, Sorokin-Varlamov is also way better than any goalie duo the Penguins could put together. If the Penguins had a guy like Sorokin, we wouldn't even be talking about the goalies. Those "platoon" situations seem more like a "we have 2 good starters" type of situation.

Flower to Murray was B to A. Lot easier to be sharp and decisive when moving from the guy you trust less to the guy more.

NYI is a good example.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Do we even know how much Jarry's camp is asking for? I would not pay him as a 60-plus game goaltender (i.e. as part of a Jarry-DeSmith tandem), but as a 1-1A combination with someone else? We could do worse. Laurent Brossoit, for example, was Jarry's tandem mate with the WHL's Oil Kings I do believe. I would not mind that idea.

I would also like a Russian duo of Varlamov (UFA) and Samsonov (RFA), though a trade with Toronto may not be plausible.

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
So Calgary is gonna be forced to sell of Toffoli, Backlund, Lindholm and Hanafin. Yeesh.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Didn’t mention Barbashev in this…or Engvall, although he’s a RW

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
Hypothetical

Korpi/Jarry for ~8-9M and no assets spent
versus
Helle alone for ~8-9M and likely your first rounder plus possibly more going bye-byes

Hmmm. Something to be said for either approach, I guess.
Option 2, easily. The goal is to make the playoffs, not preserve assets.
CDS could very well outplay Korpisalo next year, at a cheaper AAV. That guy's nothing special. Career .904 goalie.
Yes, he had a nice season, but he's had those before, and they were followed up by multiple crap ones. Don't trust him. He was garbage in the playoffs too.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Option 2, easily. The goal is to make the playoffs, not preserve assets.
CDS could very well outplay Korpisalo next year, at a cheaper AAV. That guy's nothing special. Career .904 goalie.
Yes, he had a nice season, but he's had those before, and they were followed up by multiple crap ones. Don't trust him. He was garbage in the playoffs too.

No. He was great.

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio
Yes they do

Source: am a Kraken fan

They're likely losing Soucy in free agency and their LD depth is extremely thin after Oleksiak. The next guy up is Ryker Evans, who is probably not NHL ready yet and is likely a Schultz replacement for after next year.
Geekie is worth more to Seattle than POJ would be imo as a Kraken fan as well. I think we have discussed this before on the Kraken board. Geekie would be a great get for the Pens but I would rather the Kraken keep him.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Geekie is worth more to Seattle than POJ would be imo as a Kraken fan as well. I think we have discussed this before on the Kraken board. Geekie would be a great get for the Pens but I would rather the Kraken keep him.

Yeah I don't know that POJ is the type of D they want, I was just arguing against the idea that they don't need a LD. They need a LD to replace Soucy, ideally one that can slide to RD once Evans comes up.

I like Evans-Borgen going forward, but that would mean you need a LD for Schultz for this year and then a RD for Oleksiak next year. They're the same player type (as in what you need for both are very similar players), but I want them to be targeting another Larsson caliber player or better to play with Oleksiak.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad