Salary Cap: Pens Off Season Thread: Pre Free Agency Shenanigans!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio
Yeah I don't know that POJ is the type of D they want, I was just arguing against the idea that they don't need a LD. They need a LD to replace Soucy, ideally one that can slide to RD once Evans comes up.

I like Evans-Borgen going forward, but that would mean you need a LD for Schultz for this year and then a RD for Oleksiak next year. They're the same player type (as in what you need for both are very similar players), but I want them to be targeting another Larsson caliber player or better to play with Oleksiak.
I agree with that and actually think POJ might actually fit in there. I guess I really should say that I think Geekie is in a good spot with the Kraken. Who knows what Sullivan would do with him.

Maybe Seattle sends a pick for POJ (a third maybe).

Last edited:

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
I agree with that and actually think POJ might actually fit in there. I guess I really should say that I think Geekie is in a good spot with the Kraken. Who knows what Sullivan would do with him.

Maybe Seattle sends a pick for POJ (a third maybe).
Isn't Geekie and what they do with him highly dependent on how Shane Wright keeps developing? The guy is way too good to be stuck getting 4th line deployments.

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio
Isn't Geekie and what they do with him highly dependent on how Shane Wright keeps developing? The guy is way too good to be stuck getting 4th line deployments.
I suppose this is true to some extent but I see Geekie as more valuable than Donato or Sprong so there is room for Wright imo. Geekie brings fair faceoff ability which the Kraken are woefully deficient.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

I don't think so, I don't think Wright makes the team next year and Wennberg is a free agent after next year.

I think Wright's progression will be something like:

-2023-2024: Loaned to Europe to play professionally
-2024-2025: Starts in the AHL, eventually takes Wennberg's spot on L3
-2025-2026: Stays in L3 unless Gourde leaves via free agency

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I don't think so, I don't think Wright makes the team next year and Wennberg is a free agent after next year.

I think it’s more likely Wright is traded than going to Europe.

Reactions: Darren McCord

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
I like how people defended Hextall’s incompetence, claiming FSG had some made up mandate about trading first round picks, and couldn’t truly compete at all costs. Those 2.5 years were so difficult on this site with the bs theories defending that idiot. But yet, Dubas said he wants the team to compete.

Last edited:

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
Rather just go get Gibson than Korpisalo.

I don't mind the 1a/1b just because I am traumatized by the goalie injuries we've had and that is a little bit of a hedge for you.

I don't want anything to do with Raanta or Anderson.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Surely one of the reasons to get John Gibson is is the fact you can load minutes onto him with little fear of injury or him nosediving, thus rendering a 1B irrelevant?

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Surely one of the reasons to get John Gibson is is the fact you can load minutes onto him with little fear of injury or him nosediving, thus rendering a 1B irrelevant?

Yeah that's the big benefit I see with Gibson. You can tell him to go play 55 to 60 games with a pure backup that only gets 20-25 games.

If they traded for Gibson, I'd actually be mildly interested in just taking the Ducks goalie duo of Gibson-Stolarz. Trade DeSmith like a 4th and sign Stolarz in free agency.

Reactions: mephisto1812

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I hate the idea because he's a locker room cancer, but if you want to address the powerplay issues, you should probably be hoping for a Blake Wheeler buyout and have Wheeler displace Guentzel on the top PP unit.

I think the big thing that PP is missing is a legitimate net front guy. Guentzel isn't that, Guentzel is a sniper in the bumper spot.
Sounds like a job for Tyler Bertuzzi.

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
Sounds like a job for Tyler Bertuzzi.
Bertuzzi was someone I was advocating about for a while, not many wanted him here because of his vaccine stance which was incredibly dumb to blackball someone for

He would look really nice with Geno if you ask me

He went on and had a nice playoff series and looked good in Boston and now someone is going to pay him nicely and it likely wont be us.

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
Bertuzzi was someone I was advocating about for a while, not many wanted him here because of his vaccine stance which was incredibly dumb to blackball someone for

He went on and had a nice playoff series and looked good in Boston and now someone is going to pay him nicely and it likely wont be us.
I’m intrigued by what Dubas’ approach will be to paying free agents. We have a ton of space even with Granlund still here.

I’m guessing he has a very specific target or two he’s really gonna go after.

metalan2

May 30, 2008

Not that I trust Dangle as a source but allegedly other insiders are saying this too, according to comments I've seen on twitter. I sure as hell hope Dubas isn't looking at this.

If we can somehow move Granlund for Wheeler than by all means.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
With seemingly half of CGY's roster wanting out and teams like LA/Boston needing to dump cap, feels like it will be a buyers market. With how much cap space the team has, Dubas has an incredible opportunity to really set the team up

metalan2

May 30, 2008

Really? There were people here saying they didn't want Bertuzzi because he refused a vaccine?

He is exactly the type of player we need. Him and Max Domi would be a perfect fit here.

Reactions: BusinessGoose

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015

What lol. Shane Wright isn't going to Europe. He will start next year in the AHL and slowly get a bigger role.

15pts in his first 32 AHL games is a fine start for an 18 yr old.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad