Salary Cap: Pens Off Season Thread: Pre Free Agency Shenanigans!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
In 2021-2022, Matheson was one of the best producing defensemen at 5v5. He was 4th in goals/60 and 13th in points/60. Petry was 79th in GF/60 and 34th in points/60 at 5v5. Petry didn't have Matheson's impact at 5v5. Matheson was also better analytically, albeit marginally (+1.53 xGF%Rel for Matheson, -0.96% xGF%Rel for Petry). The only thing Petry brought on Matheson last year was physicality and mildly better defensive results.

When you look at Marino vs Rutta, it's the same exact thing. Rutta was worse defensively and way less productive than Marino. Rutta was only bigger and more physical while giving consistently worse results across the board.

There is no way you can legitimately argue that the defense reshuffling last off-season was anything but a failure. Hextall tried to make the Penguins bigger and more physical, and it dramatically hurt their transition game and resulted in the Penguins getting worse results from the bigger and more physical players.

Neither Petry nor Rutta are bad players, Petry is a middle pair minute eater who's decent at everything and Rutta is a physical bottom pair D. But they objectively got worse by swapping Matheson and Marino for them. That's an objective fact.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
There’s still time and room for Dubas to turn this around in all fairness, but I do not really get the shrewdness of not buying out Granlund tbh.

Feel free to chaos dunk on me if he gets traded with no retention, but man. I dunno.
Unless they truly believe Granlund is an important piece of whatever roster they're envisioning going forward.

If that's the case, then Dubas better have assurances from Sullivan that he'll stop using Granlund as our Jordan Staal on the third line and actually use him as an offensive weapon.

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
The lack of cap space really hurts now. A guy like Geekie solves a lot of problems for us but we don’t have any money to sign him. Makes me want to cry. It gets frustrating.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Gotta believe Rossi's report that he has a serious health issue is real.

Was it Rossi who reported that? I saw that it was DK who said that.

But yeah, there's too much smoke around Poehling having a potential health issue for me to dismiss it. Really curious to see if we get any information about that in the future.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Unless they truly believe Granlund is an important piece of whatever roster they're envisioning going forward.

If that's the case, then Dubas better have assurances from Sullivan that he'll stop using Granlund as our Jordan Staal on the third line and actually use him as an offensive weapon.

Granlund the weapon is a knife in a gunfight.

There is nothing there.

Reactions: tom_servo and Peat

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
The Penguins have a boatload of cap space right now, they have $15 million in cap space with their entire top-6 F and at least 3/4 of their top-4 D signed. The only way they'll run into cap problems is if they decide to bring back both Jarry and Zucker, and that would be "shitty use of cap space" more than "having cap problems".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad