Salary Cap: Pens Off Season Thread: Pre Free Agency Shenanigans!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I threw together a potential lineup that actually made keeping both Petry and Hanifin work, but the depth isn't pretty. Fair warning on that :laugh:

-Trade 1: DeSmith and a pick to San Jose for Kahkonen at $1.75 million
-Trade 2: Ty Smith, Pickering and a 2024 1st to Calgary for Hanifin

RFA signings: O'Connor (2 years and $800k)
UFA signings: Geekie (4 years at $2 million), McLeod (4 years at $2 million), Andersen (1 year at $2.25 million) and White (1 year at $800k)

Guentzel-Crosby-Rakell
Smith-Malkin-Rust
XXXXX-Geekie-Granlund
O'Connor-McLeod-Carter
White-Nylander

Hanifin-Letang
Pettersson-Petry
POJ-Rutta
Ruhwedel

Andersen-Kahkonen

You have about $2.5 million for that last 3LW spot. That 4 year at $2 million deal is the same deal that Jarnkrok got last year, so I think it's the kind of deal I could see Dubas handing out to a depth guy like Geekie or McLeod.

This lineup would be way better if the Penguins would have bought out Granlund and had $6.5 million to spend between 2 spots instead of $2.5 million between 1 spot, but whatever.

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
I threw together a potential lineup that actually made keeping both Petry and Hanifin work, but the depth isn't pretty. Fair warning on that :laugh:

-Trade 1: DeSmith and a pick to San Jose for Kahkonen at $1.75 million
-Trade 2: Ty Smith, Pickering and a 2024 1st to Calgary for Hanifin

RFA signings: O'Connor (2 years and $800k)
UFA signings: Geekie (4 years at $2 million), McLeod (4 years at $2 million), Andersen (1 year at $2.25 million) and White (1 year at $800k)

Guentzel-Crosby-Rakell
Smith-Malkin-Rust
XXXXX-Geekie-Granlund
O'Connor-McLeod-Carter
White-Nylander

Hanifin-Letang
Pettersson-Petry
POJ-Rutta
Ruhwedel

Andersen-Kahkonen

You have about $2.5 million for that last 3LW spot. That 4 year at $2 million deal is the same deal that Jarnkrok got last year, so I think it's the kind of deal I could see Dubas handing out to a depth guy like Geekie or McLeod.

All those moves just to lose in the 1st round.

Reactions: Ryder71

Victor Z

Trade me right f**king now!
Sponsor
Apr 10, 2018
The Burgh
If Poehling has a legit health issue that’s one thing. But I guess I’m pretty wary of this team’s track record of announcing unproven medical conditions through the local media when they just don’t like the player. :laugh:

I'm hearing whispers from "insiders" that Poehling doesn't take coaching well, isn't serious about his conditioning and likes to party too much. And he has a fat face.

Or was that Simon Despres? Daniel Sprong? Phil Kessel? All of the above?

Edit: Derek Poulliot too.

Rakell67

Sep 28, 2017
PA
A friend of mine saw Dubas at a restaurant this evening, he was jotting down something on a napkin. He was able to lean over to see what he was jotting...

Guentz Sid Rust
Smith Malkin Rakell
O'Connor Carter Granlund
ZAR Lafferty Sprong
Nylander

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

f*** yes Detroit didn't qualify Kostin. Go get him Dubas.

Although that Kostin and Yamamoto trade makes me wonder if Kostin is thinking about going back to the KHL. To trade for that package and buy out Yamamoto and not qualify Kostin seems really bizarre. Makes me wonder if Kostin either wants a notable deal or wants to go back to Russia.

I'm all aboard the Kostin-Geekie-Granlund 3rd line train at this point. If they're insistent on keeping Granlund, they need to bring in guys who complement him and can compensate for Granlund's problems. A Kostin-Geekie duo is pretty much perfect for that.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia

f*** yes Detroit didn't qualify Kostin. Go get him Dubas.

Although that Kostin and Yamamoto trade makes me wonder if Kostin is thinking about going back to the KHL. To trade for that package and buy out Yamamoto and not qualify Kostin seems really bizarre. Makes me wonder if Kostin either wants a notable deal or wants to go back to Russia.

Coincidence that Reaves and Kostin are being mentioned in succession? 🤔

Reactions: Empoleon8771

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
1688168589839.png

I'm with Emp on this one. He produces well at this level for what he's given. At 750k you gobble that up.
It'd be nice to have a depth player than can finish a bit.

This guy doesn't belong in the minors.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I’d like Geekie and McLeod and try to get Sprong back if he’ll forgive Sullivan for dicking him around…

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
View attachment 724421
I'm with Emp on this one. He produces well at this level for what he's given. At 750k you gobble that up.
It'd be nice to have a depth player than can finish a bit.

This guy doesn't belong in the minors.

I think if he would be willing to sign for that little, he would have stayed in Edmonton.

The number I saw from an Edmonton writer is that he wanted 3 years and $1.5 million. I'd give that to him with no hesitation, but I have a feeling it may even be a bit more than that.

If they can get all 3 of Geekie, McLeod and Kostin to 3 year deals for around $6 million total, I'm be over the moon happy with the off-season. The Penguins desperately need some young talent and getting 3 good 24/25 year old bottom-6 guys is a great way to do that.

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
Anybody remember that national TV game where the announcers where clowning on Simon because he had like 15 amazing scoring chances and did what he always did; not score.

Reactions: BusinessGoose

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio
I think if he would be willing to sign for that little, he would have stayed in Edmonton.

The number I saw from an Edmonton writer is that he wanted 3 years and $1.5 million. I'd give that to him with no hesitation, but I have a feeling it may even be a bit more than that.

If they can get all 3 of Geekie, McLeod and Kostin to 3 year deals for around $6 million total, I'm be over the moon happy with the off-season. The Penguins desperately need some young talent and getting 3 good 24/25 year old bottom-6 guys is a great way to do that.
Geekie would be a good get for the Pens imo. Really came on in the playoffs, decent faceoff and I think will continue to improve.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
While digging through Twitter a bit:

I'd be totally good with a 3 year, $1.8 million AAV deal for Kostin. I think Geekie comes in at something a bit more than that. I think the Jarnkrok deal of a 4 year, $2.1 million AAV is a pretty reasonable guess for Geekie.

I was excited for McLeod and then I saw his really bad analytics in the role he was being used in. I'd still be happy with him as a 4C, but Geekie and Kostin are firmly my top targets in UFA right now.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
A unsigned draft pick. A throw in.

No? Clang was the Penguins best goalie prospect at the time. He was and still is a good prospect.

ZAR and Simon were the throw-ins for that deal, the value there was Clang and the 2nd for Rakell.

Also, what's the point of differentiating here? The only context of talking about Rakell was that a 3rd for Smith was better value than a 2nd and Clang for Rakell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad