Salary Cap: Pens Off Season Thread: Pre Free Agency Shenanigans!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
After Hayes had to be retained down to 3.5m and Johansen to 4m just so they could be traded for free?

Seems pretty plausible to me.

Petry is still notably better than both of those guys though. Johansen especially.

I could see the Penguins having to retain down to like $5 million, but $4.25 million seems super excessive.

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain
Yohe is an absolute idiot if he thinks the Penguins would need to retain Petry down to $4.25 million to trade him.
The Petry thing is all smoke. Makes no sense to trade him out, we're just creating more work for ourselves. Needs 2 trades to even make sense, and we still have 4 other huge things to sort out (top 4 LD, goalie, the entire bottom 6, Mikael Granlund).

We can't take anything Pittsburgh media says seriously, though the one thing that I'm interested in is Dubas going mum on goalie.

Reactions: BusinessGoose

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
The Petry thing is all smoke. Makes no sense to trade him out, we're just creating more work for ourselves. Needs 2 trades to even make sense, and we still have 4 other huge things to sort out (top 4 LD, goalie, the entire bottom 6, Mikael Granlund).

We can't take anything Pittsburgh media says seriously, though the one thing that I'm interested in is Dubas going mum on goalie.

I don't think it's just the Pittsburgh media saying the Penguins are trying to move Petry.

Reactions: Peat

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I think I'd be more surprised by Petry being moved than Granlund being moved, and I do not think for a second Granlund's gonna be moved. :laugh: Though I'm all for it.

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
They still can if someone wants to do that with them and it makes sense for them and their plan of aggressive suckitude. They've still got 20m in cap. Vastly overpaying Foligno and Perry doesn't take that off the table at all.

After Hayes had to be retained down to 3.5m and Johansen to 4m just so they could be traded for free?

Seems pretty plausible to me.
Petry is still able to play at a decent level though. As opposed to Hayes

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
To me it makes a ton of sense for Boston to use Swayman + Grz + Lysell to get Schieffle from Winnipeg. WPG wants to compete and Boston has no other assets to fill the holes left by Bergeron/Krejci

Boston fans seems pretty cool on Scheifele since he's got a reputation for being crap defensively and they're used to counting on their Cs to really dig in. Seems to be a poor schematic fit. But who knows what their front office are thinking.

If I'm Boston, I'm talking targeting ROR if I can open up space a lot.

Petry is still notably better than both of those guys though. Johansen especially.

I could see the Penguins having to retain down to like $5 million, but $4.25 million seems super excessive.

I guess most people would agree with him being better.

But moving money just feels painful. And he is still here. If Petry's trade clauses takes a lot of teams off of the market, I think we could end up there.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I guess most people would agree with him being better.

But moving money just feels painful. And he is still here. If Petry's trade clauses takes a lot of teams off of the market, I think we could end up there.

I feel like they should just keep him if another team is asking for $2 million retained to just take him.

Petry isn't a bad player and I like Pettersson-Petry as the 2nd pair.

I'd definitely give Yamamoto a cheap 1 year deal in UFA to play on the 3rd line. He fits that Sharangovich profile of "skilled winger who kills penalties".

Ogelthorpe

Who do you play for?
Jul 21, 2010
From who?
They will gladly keep him until the deadline and get a ransom then
Most contender are going to be either A- Set at Goalie, B- won’t have the cap space to acquire him, C- bothA and B.

They would have to hope that a team in real contention would have to have an injury at goalie, have the cap space, and feel they can sign Helle long term (needing cap space to do so)

How many teams do you think are going to have that.

Also, plug and play with goalies isn’t as easy as say a forward. Chemistry with the defense takes a little time to build in a lot of cases. Goalies traded in season are usually done earlier than later. Also, the long he waits the more that can set him off….Think Patrick Roy….Quite possibly the best goalie ever, and a Conn Smythe winner…. He and Mike Keane were dealt for Thibault, Rucinsky, and Kovalenko. So if that’s what Roy brings back, you think Helle is going to pull some random lol.

Right now it’s a game of chicken and Winnipeg knows they have to turn at some point.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
From who?

Most contender are going to be either A- Set at Goalie, B- won’t have the cap space to acquire him, C- bothA and B.

They would have to hope that a team in real contention would have to have an injury at goalie, have the cap space, and feel they can sign Helle long term (needing cap space to do so)

How many teams do you think are going to have that.

Also, plug and play with goalies isn’t as easy as say a forward. Chemistry with the defense takes a little time to build in a lot of cases. Goalies traded in season are usually done earlier than later. Also, the long he waits the more that can set him off….Think Patrick Roy….Quite possibly the best goalie ever, and a Conn Smythe winner…. He and Mike Keane were dealt for Thibault, Rucinsky, and Kovalenko. So if that’s what Roy brings back, you think Helle is going to pull some random lol.

Right now it’s a game of chicken and Winnipeg knows they have to turn at some point.

Devils or Sabres when their goalies flame out.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Look, Dubas has to get a roster that can have a shot here. Dumo is not that. I would move Petry if they have a younger RD with some grit to come in. But I keep him if that is not the case. Dubas should have bought out Granlund. He must feel he can move him but garbage in garbage out doesn't help this roster, cap space does. Get a physical LD, Get a third line center with some size and grit. Hellebucyk is very costly and want a big number. Pens just can;t sink 8m 6 years AAV into a goalie that will be here with a rebuild. If I do that, get the goalie from Boston. Younger and cheaper. Dubas at the end in Toronto finally got it, You need more grit on the roster. Hopefully he knows that now for a small soft Penguin roster.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I don't think any of them have to, but it makes more sense for them to move than not

Boston obviously has a major cap crunch than they can solve other ways but getting out on the goalies makes a bunch of sense

Calgary have a cap crunch where moving Vladar would help, and also has a hotshot young goalie to replace him with. They can keep Vladar and send the kid down, but that's not ideal

Anaheim, who knows what's in their head, but I can't see getting Gibson getting more valuable or happier behind their wall of suck

Winnipeg have to trade Hellebuyck between now and the deadline, so if you get a good offer why wait now

San Jose are the only one who seem to be take it or leave it, although even there Kahkonen is a pending UFA who's probably not back, so why not? Maybe you sell him for more at the deadline, maybe not

I don't know any of them become more desperate to sell after the first couple days of UFA, but I don't think they become less motivated. I'm just not sure UFA really affects the goaltending market at all.
Boston, I agree, makes sense to move a goalie. But would they move one to the Pens? I don't know how good they will be this coming year, but there's a non-zero chance they play the Pens in the first round. It would look very bad if they ended up losing to the Pens because they traded them a Vezina goalie or worse his equally good 24 year old backup.

Calgary's looking to move out like $15M between Hanifin, Lindholm, and Backlund. I don't think they'll be in a cap crunch for long.

San Jose, do we want Kahkonen, though?

Anaheim and Winnipeg might be willing or even want to trade their goalies, but they don't HAVE to. Dubas HAS to find a starting goalie. If it's a game of chicken, Dubas will flinch first.

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
Is Duchene toast? Or worth for 3c on the cheap?

Yamamoto for sure i hope we take a chance on! Especially with the talk of wanting more talent in the lineup

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
1688140998433-png.724142

This Duchene buyout is hideous.

I don't get it at all for Nashville. I understand wanting to rebuild and make changes, but they could have easily retained money on Duchene and traded him for legitimate assets. He had 56 points in 71 games last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad