Post-Game Talk: Pens/Isles Game 1: Home Ice + Good Matchup all for nothing

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
The game shouldn’t have got there because of his own doing but you can’t do anything on that last goal, if you are Murray.

Simply a perfect shot.

Get Malkin back hopefully, push Carter down to L3, with Kap and Franky. Balance the forwards out.

Need to capitalize on chances more and get better goaltending. I’m saying it now, if we average 3 goals a game in this series, there is no way the Pens don’t win it.

(disclaimer for if Jarry is a sieve like he was today, but I have faith that he won’t have another game like today)
It wasn't the only spot on the short side that Jarry left open, even if it was the biggest. He left himself vulnerable to a short side goal from a right handed shooter with no real passing options.

But it certainly wasn't the worst one on him tonight.

Joejosh999

Mar 13, 2014
Jarry embarrassed himself. Hope he can bounce back. Obviously started jittery and never settled.
But let’s not let the PP off the hook. 3 chances.
And if they’d scored on that PP right after Sid’s goal and made it 3-1, I’d expect Jarry would have been much more at ease.

Reactions: Andy99

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
Now's not the time to experiment with Malkin on wing. If he can dress he can center his own line I'd think. I have no idea what he's going to look like and don't see any point in making recommendations until we see him.
what's the experiment? geno has played wing before.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I mean you can do whatever you want Empoleon.

Blaming cheap goaltending is silly when the teams with the best goaltending have largely lost the same way we have.

Okay, which of those teams with the best goaltending has had less success than the Penguins had in the last 3 years in the playoffs?

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Honestly, the only two changes I'm concerned about, is cutting down the chances the Isles get on the rush with system changes by Sully, and our goalie playing like he belongs in the NHL.

That's literally it, and they should win more than not. If those don't happen clearly changes need be made.

I can agree to degree here. But aside from L1, I think our depth largely got outplayed. BART seemed pretty even, but I wasn't impressed with L2 and L3 at all despite them scoring.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Yep. Rust f***ing blows right now and people are blinded by his numbers. Last year he was actually a difference maker and then we broke up the ice that made him such in the playoffs 'cos.

My issue with Rust is he's either just going out for a skate and achieves nothing, or when he does get the puck he's trying to be fancy instead of just shooting the puck.

He needs to simplify his game right now. Literally just adopt the Tyler Kennedy approach and Rust would be way more effective than he is right now with his stupid fancy stickhandling shit and behind the back pass attempts to no one.

ZorkEnchanter

Aug 16, 2020
Sad isn’t the adjective that comes to mind when looking back on the core of any team that won 3 cups no matter the circumstances.

I know we just lost the first game of the playoffs, but some need to ease up on the drama.

Agreed. We lost Game 1 of a SERIES. I guess if we traded half the team, it would have been a sure fire win!

Hopefully, we get back to game speed and start playing as a team like we did the Last 10, 20, etc.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
We keep hearing this but I think there's a difference between going "cheap" and getting a top performance from a young guy. You don't need to spend a billion dollars on goalies and you don't need a top of the line guy. If you're a well built team, all you should need is a solid starter who won't lose you games. That's exactly what guys like 2019 Binnington, 2018 Holtby, 2016 Murray and 2015 Crawford were.

I think Corey Crawford is a perfect example of what contending teams should target from their goaltending.

I mean our goaltending was good enough to win us the division. They're playing poorly when it matters and that sucks but that could just as easily happen if we put more money into the position. Look at Maf for years being a solid regular season goalie only to implode in the playoffs.

To me it's perilous to overcompensate for playoff failures. Anything can happen in a short series. You put together a roster that can win a lot of regular season games and hope for the best when the playoffs arrive. Unfortunately in the past few years our goaltending has been a disaster when it matters. If it were just one guy I'd say replace that guy but we already replaced Murray and it's the same result. So what can ya do.

Reactions: canadianguy77

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
No team has been more successful since Crosby and Malkin have entered the league. Not event the Hawks. Not much more to ask for.

That said, it's alright to be frustrated that we've won, what 1 playoff game in 3 years? It feels like every time we're in close game it goes the other way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad