Rumor: Pens, Crosby closing in on extension

Status
Not open for further replies.

innitfam

Oct 18, 2017
He’s a f***in all time great with an outside shot at cracking the top 5 in points. People are nuts.

I wouldn't say it's an outside chance. 4 seasons to hit 203 points. It would be surprising if he didn't get there, given his track record. Barring injury of course.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Honestly I was thinking maybe he wants to join a Canadian team and be the one who brings the cup back here (Canucks or Edmonton realistically). That would cement his legacy in Canada for sure. But on an expiring deal or year to year basis.
Cement his legacy? If he ran for prime Minister as the head of the bath salts party he'd win in a landslide.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Well. I purposefully left out any offer to avoid Montreal flaming. I also, I. my original post, said Sid deserves to retire a Pen and they deserve to have him.

My whole point is to show that Pittsburgh can speed up their rebuild.

As for the Habs. At the end of this year add Sid to what you see on the ice and then talk to me about chasing cups.
But you still mentioned Montreal as an "example" of what could help speed up the Pens' rebuild if they made a deal with them. From Crosby's perspective, how does being traded to Montreal achieve what Pittsburgh can't give him? Neither club is close to being a Cup contender. So he'd be going from non-playoff team A to non-playoff team B. So if he's not seeing the playoffs with his new team, why wouldn't he just stay in Pittsburgh and finish his career with one team?

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
It's fine, it's just mindboggling how little direction the Pens have had in the last few years. Trying to compete, but not really. Selling, but just a little bit.

All in all, Pens have had an amazing 20 years and it's fine to go through a downtime, but Dubas will be remembered as a GM that prolonged the funk period rather than turn a corner.
Part of the rudderless ship issue that has been going on is due to having three sets of general manager/front office people. And two ownerships. Not saying all is well by any means. At best I’d give Dubas and Co a C- grading thus far. But that absolute aimlessness you speak of I think has more to do with the lingering effects of the just so much change over and ownership change in just several years.

Nogatco Rd

Translator spent all my HF cash
Apr 3, 2021
IMG_2906.gif

Count him out at your peril…

Schennanigans

Dec 26, 2008
Etobicoke, on
Not really surprising. He’s got nothing left to prove. So moving to another team to win is not a priority. He did look completely defeated when his buddy was traded and you never know he may eventually accept a trade.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
Not really surprising. He’s got nothing left to prove. So moving to another team to win is not a priority. He did look completely defeated when his buddy was traded and you never know he may eventually accept a trade.

Anyone would look defeated if they got downgraded from a ppg linemate to a 30 point linemate

SeanAveryTheGreatOne

Jul 4, 2021
If the pens traded him, what would the return net?

How many first round draft picks would ease the bad taste in Pittsburgh fans' mouths?

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
But you still mentioned Montreal as an "example" of what could help speed up the Pens' rebuild if they made a deal with them. From Crosby's perspective, how does being traded to Montreal achieve what Pittsburgh can't give him? Neither club is close to being a Cup contender. So he'd be going from non-playoff team A to non-playoff team B. So if he's not seeing the playoffs with his new team, why wouldn't he just stay in Pittsburgh and finish his career with one team?
Again....from Crosbys perspective....he has earned the right to retire a Penguin.

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
You don't get any future assets for a 37 year old. Especially if he'd rather just stay. Plus if he did go somewhere, he'd be picking exactly where.
If he didn't have the NMC, I think there'd be a fairly long line of people willing to part with significant assets to get him. The mid career health issues appear to be behind him, so I don't think him being 37 to start the season would bother a team that sees itself as one big piece away.

It's likely all moot though, as I really don't see him wearing another uniform.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
No brainer for Sid and the Pens... Sid gets to finish his career in Pittsburgh and also Pens get to keep him around. Even if Pens rebuild, you keep Sid around to help with it.

You know him and management have discussed what the next few years are looking like teamwise and whatever was said, Sid is ok with if he's signing an extension. Management forsurely would keep him in the loop.

Plus also when Sid retires, he definately will have a job in the organization in some capacity... That's a guarantee.

LudwigVonKarlsson

Fall of Pierre
Oct 17, 2013
Ottawa, ON
If the plan was to try and compete for another cup with Crosby, why trade his best winger ? Who's much younger and elite and wanted to stay there ? There's no clear direction, I don't understand what Dubas is doing.
He got his cups and the plan was likely for him to retire as a penguin and mentor the next generation of pens. Where are they going to find the cap space to sign Guenztel?

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
You never know what happens down the line, but he clearly still plans on playing for a few years and his life is in Pittsburgh. It'd be tough for the top dogs to summon that much cap space out of the blue, so makes sense to sign in Pit.

Whether he retires as a Penguin or he gets traded for one last cup run time will tell, but at least there are options.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
I agree with you, but I would say a lot of people thought the same thing about Stamkos a few months ago...
And to my point about should have traded....Stamkos walked away for nothing from Tampa. I understand why they wouldn't trade him when they were definitely a team that could win the cup. But, if they had the forethought to trade him last summer, knowing they weren't going to resign him this summer, the haul would have been massive, and they probably still would have been competitive. Tampa is slightly different than Pittsburgh, but same principal applies.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Extending Crosby will be the reason they won't get McKenna
McKenna will be good, no doubt, but he's hardly the generational talent that you just can't pass on the opportunity to tank for.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
I agree with you, but I would say a lot of people thought the same thing about Stamkos a few months ago...

Apples to Oranges. Crosby is one of the best players in the league and led the penguins to 3 cups.

Stamkos missed a whole cup run and as a whole will not be remember nearly as much as sid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad