Rumor: Pens, Crosby closing in on extension

Status
Not open for further replies.

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
I don't understand the rationale behind him cup chasing. I know he's an uber competitive guy, but has there ever been another guy that's won 3 cups and went chasing more in his late 30s?

His legacy is cemented and he has nothing else to prove, it just doesn't make sense to me.

You've watched him over the past 6 seasons of failure? At times, he was the only player in a Pens sweater trying. The dude seriously has a condition where he wants to win at all times.

I think if he didn't want to compete - he would have already retired and settled down.

The thing with Sid, is you could stick him on an AHL roster and he would speak to the media as if they are in it every night. He's a nutjob who thinks he can beat anyone / any team at any time with any roster / any linemates. Huge part of what makes him so great. Also what has made watching a bit painful recently knowing full well they weren't going anywhere - and going nowhere fast.

That being said, if he stays in Pittsburgh I'll not really be sure whatsoever of his motivations. Maybe some sort of internal number of goals/assists. Because Sullivan/Dubas won't have this club sniffing the playoffs this decade, if ever (during their tenures).

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
I don't care about legacies, I prefer winning but that's me. 4 cups is better then 3, also more points in the season with better wingers.

The cup is such a crap shoot though. 192 points is totally in his control. I guess if he wants to climb the all time league (not pens) standings. Playing somewhere else might be better

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
The cup is such a crap shoot though. 192 points is totally in his control. I guess if he wants to climb the all time league (not pens) standings. Playing somewhere else might be better
Well, regardless us Pens fans are spoiled watching Crosby/Malkin/Letang for this long. Longest trio in sports history together. Our next core is going to not be that good compared to this one. This upcoming season will be 19 years, after that 20.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Honestly I was thinking maybe he wants to join a Canadian team and be the one who brings the cup back here (Canucks or Edmonton realistically). That would cement his legacy in Canada for sure. But on an expiring deal or year to year basis.
He can go to Edmonton so the Oilers can play McDavid, Crosby and Draisaitl all on one line and then complain they still don't have the depth to win. :sarcasm:

• Love
Reactions: sanscosm

The Great Mighty Poo

I don't like you either.
Feb 21, 2020
Scatbox
Honestly I was thinking maybe he wants to join a Canadian team and be the one who brings the cup back here (Canucks or Edmonton realistically). That would cement his legacy in Canada for sure. But on an expiring deal or year to year basis.
Yeah I mean look at all the cups Canada teams won since 93..... all 1 of them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: domaug

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
I'd love for the Rangers to get Crosby. He is still great. Then we would have a true 1C capable of leading a team to a Cup. Not a pretender like Zibenejad.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
If the entire point of Crosby being traded (from his perspective) is to chase more playoff success/Cups, then why the hell is he going to Montreal? Even with Pittsburgh's "disappointing" last two seasons, they finished well ahead of Montreal both years.

So if the entire point of him moving on rather than sticking around is to chase more Cups, then bringing up a team like Montreal makes zero sense. Colorado is the only team I've seen mentioned that actually fits the rationale for him wanting out.
Well. I purposefully left out any offer to avoid Montreal flaming. I also, I. my original post, said Sid deserves to retire a Pen and they deserve to have him.

My whole point is to show that Pittsburgh can speed up their rebuild.

As for the Habs. At the end of this year add Sid to what you see on the ice and then talk to me about chasing cups.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Loyalty now that is refreshing :thumbu:
You are a great player Sid.
( you don’t play us often but when you do, I yell at the TV because you seem to get away with murder) which means I wish we had a player like you.
Probably the 3rd best player ever
Gretz and Mario 1&2

Warh1ppy

Feb 14, 2018
Crosby has missed around 4.48 total seasons in his career due to injury, lockout and "covid" etc

At an average of around 92 points per season that's around 412 points estimated he has not banked for his play which would put him over 2000 total points in his career. He should be second or third to only Jagr who basically sluffed off 5+ total seasons in the NHL due to playing in europe and lockouts and the great one himself.

While people called him a cry baby etc, the guy has arguably been one of the most complete centers in our time missing only a single Selke to complete his award collection.

Only 127 points behind Mario for 8th all time and 1st all time as a Penguin, him singing a contract to retire their after breaking Mario's point totals and finishing potentially in the top 5 for points is only right.

The Great Mighty Poo

I don't like you either.
Feb 21, 2020
Scatbox
Disappointing if true for league and Crosby himself. He's still a great player and will toil away his last years on a team he loves though is not and won't be competitive. Congrats to him if though if he's happy and the fans that don't want him to put on another jersey.
I'm sure he's disappointed in himself since as it's been said on repete he himself wantst to stay here. He loves the city and has zero interest in playing anywhere. What part of this is anybody not comprehending?

Last edited:
Reactions: domaug

theMajor

Feb 9, 2012
Socal
hate to break it you Pens fans but he's finally coming home

Screen Shot 2024-07-08 at 4.57.28 PM.png

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
I think he plays till 40-42 and catches Jagr for 2nd all time in points. With his work ethic he can do it.

BWJM

Sponsor
Mar 16, 2011
Does this mean he will retire early? Hard to see him play out his final years on a Pens team that might be living in the basement soon. Seems odd, but good for him for doing what he truly wants.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Comments about the Penguins rebuild being ruined by re-signing Crosby don't even make sense to begin with. They already have Malkin for 2 more years, Karlsson for 3 more years and Letang for 4 more years. Keeping Crosby over that window just delays when the rebuild starts, it doesn't somehow magically ruin the rebuild unless they spend assets to try to win now (which nothing indicates they'll be doing that).

The Penguins plan is very clear and Dubas has made it clear. They're going to keep the core together for as long as possible, while gradually selling off around the edges of the roster and getting assets to take on bad deals. They're building up the foundation of the prospect pool, so that the new core will be properly supported once the Penguins truly bottom out and start to suck in the 2027 timeframe.

They want to avoid a Bedard in Chicago type of situation when their next core is drafted. Playing with that bad of a team around them isn't good for any player's development.

Reactions: OtherThingsILike

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
Makes sense for him to stay.

Pens were 3 points out of a playoff spot.
I don’t think they’re in as bad of shape as a lot of other people here

Get that powerplay out of the basement and they make the playoffs last year easily.

Fire Sullivan, make playoffs. Who knows what happens when you get there
Exactly. They are still more likely to sneak into the playoffs than they are to draft in the top 3. There is no tanking on the horizon just yet for Pittsburgh, rather they are restocking the cupboards NOW so when the bottom falls out the Pens aren't left spinning their wheels for 10 years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad