Salary Cap: Pens '24-'25 Salary Thread: The Crosbicles Volume XIX

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
It's basically the Karlsson trade all over again. Our table scraps for a guy that was an albatross contract, looks like he's back on the rails, but still signed for too long and too much.

If that deal was on the table last December we would have chased Dubas out of town with torches and pitchforks if he did it.

I'd strongly consider Jarry and Bunting for Huberdeau, but it's a very high risk high reward deal.

Nah. I proposed us taking on Huberdeau since 2023.

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

Sike Mullivan

Nickstuitveness.
Nov 15, 2010
Also what the f*** is Taylor Haase talking about, should be Alex Nedeljkovic's net moving forward? What the f*** did Joel Blomqvist do that would suggest he hasn't earned that crease just as much if not more?
The only thing I can think of is let Ned get shelled in front of this team defense and not ruin the confidence of our potential goalie of the future?

Reactions: Sideline

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
I wish we had a media that was half way between what we have, essentially an extension and mouthpiece of the current front office, and Toronto’s, constantly attacking the front office.

People can talk about rebuilding but right now we are spending to the cap and the message is we’re trying to compete. If those things are true then Sully deserves every bit of criticism.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Its funny how other teams will sign players like Beauvillier and then seemingly waive them or not want to play them when its clear they have better players from within, even in the Penguins situation where they do and they just don't want to configure their line-up to make things work, this team routinely hangs on to these players far longer than most because the Coach keeps using them.

Colin White should have never gotten a contract let alone 10 games last season.
Harkins for 40 games scored 0 goals, wasn't even on the PK regularly - Gruden was far more trusted on the PK in his short stints.
Beauvillier has had a couple of good games out of 7 but was finally tried off the 1st line and looked better with Eller, not shocking to anyone that has literally stated he would be better on that line.
Then to use a player that is a top 6 or 9 winger on the 4th line when there's other players that would have fit that role better or just a smarter way to configure the line-up, yeah sure.

Dubas' problem is like JR's and Hextall's before him - He will shoe horn "his players" into the team but will keep giving the coach the players he wants and then watches them misuse them and has to eat shit from the media, fans, and everyone as being his fault when its the coach that gets heaps of praise by the players, analysts, media, etc, that keeps asking for them and misusing them.

Not even Jon Cooper gets that kind of treatment from his GM and ownership.
It's fairly early in the season, they are "meh", and I would suggest they are still trying to figure out where guys go. I would also suggest that this issue is more prevalent and noticeable now because Sid and Geno are much older and need more help. This reminds me of the 2014/2015 days when Sid's RW was more or less a revolving door or even 2015/16 when it took nearly 3-4 months to find the right combos.

The problem that late-JR, Hextall, and now Dubas have is that they need to work around Sullivan who is the root cause of the issues. I think it's a deeper seeded issue than "they give Sullivan the players he wants". The problem there is, if they give him players he doesn't want, it compounds the issue - see Reaves.
Flames should tear them a new one, I hope so anyway. This coach with his zero ideas to fix anything just needs to go asap.

Also what the f*** is Taylor Haase talking about, should be Alex Nedeljkovic's net moving forward? What the f*** did Joel Blomqvist do that would suggest he hasn't earned that crease just as much if not more? Blomqvist has been better than him in every f***ing measurable stat.
I think the very reasonable thought process there is that Blomqvist, though good, has 4 NHL games total. He's untested. To say he should be the back up to Neds until things progress a bit further is still a step in the right direction.

Last edited by a moderator:

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I wish we had a media that was half way between what we have, essentially an extension and mouthpiece of the current front office, and Toronto’s, constantly attacking the front office.

People can talk about rebuilding but right now we are spending to the cap and the message is we’re trying to compete. If those things are true then Sully deserves every bit of criticism.
Yeah, it's just a bizarre muddled mess. If we're competing, we're doing a terrible job at it and have assembled a terrible team for it. If we're rebuilding, we're doing a terrible job at it with our signings and development.

I would have absolutely no problem even just slightly leaning more to one side than the other but all the evidence through these first few games suggests that the team hasn't figured out what it's even doing.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
The weirdest thing is that Sullivan's been utterly revered by multiple ownerships, FOs, and GMs. :laugh: It makes no sense. I get giving the guy who won back to back Cups some leash, but we're staring down the reality that this team's gonna miss three times in a row. :laugh: At what point are these schmucks forced to face the reality that the shine's worn off the turd?

-edit- also lol

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
The weirdest thing is that Sullivan's been utterly revered by multiple ownerships, FOs, and GMs. :laugh: It makes no sense. I get giving the guy who won back to back Cups some leash, but we're staring down the reality that this team's gonna miss three times in a row. :laugh: At what point are these schmucks forced to face the reality that the shine's worn off the turd?

-edit- also lol

1729613848790.png

Since January 1 2022….

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
My theory on the JR rage quit was that he and Sully were butting heads over something, or several things, and it became clear that Sully was going to win that power struggle with ownership.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
My theory on the JR rage quit was that he and Sully were butting heads over something, or several things, and it became clear that Sully was going to win that power struggle with ownership.
I've heard ownership asked someone in the FO to sorta keep an eye on JR because his moves were dud after dud, or something to that effect, and not having full autonomy to do whatever he wanted made him throw a pissbaby fit and stomp off. But maybe the guy that demanded the narc was Sullivan. :laugh: The mystery deepens.

Reactions: HandshakeLine

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
I've heard ownership asked someone in the FO to sorta keep an eye on JR because his moves were dud after dud, or something to that effect, and not having full autonomy to do whatever he wanted made him throw a pissbaby fit and stomp off. But maybe the guy that demanded the narc was Sullivan. :laugh: The mystery deepens.
Regardless, the good news is that we will finally be rid of Sully the coach when Sully is ready to be GM. Kyle is keeping the seat open for him.

Reactions: Big Friggin Dummy

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020

-edit- also lol

Have you worked in the corporate world? If you’re well spoken and polished, performance won’t matter to a certain extent.

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia

-edit- also lol

Ruhwedel wasn't scratched. It was a comprehensive game plan put together to help Chad capture his very best.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Regardless, the good news is that we will finally be rid of Sully the coach when Sully is ready to be GM. Kyle is keeping the seat open for him.
Yeah, that's a genuine worry of mine. A respectful but begrudging stepping down from the HC spot just to jump right into a decision making role in the FO. Can't waaaaaaait.

f***, I hate this team. :laugh:

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
Potentially lukewarm take here but Petts has been every bit as bad or worse than Graves defensively.
It kind of feels like MP was never the greatest skater but good enough to get in good position which was what he was best at. Now his skating has gotten so bad he can’t do that. That’s my observation at least.

Reactions: Dennis Reynolds

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
It kind of feels like MP was never the greatest skater but good enough to get in good position which was what he was best at. Now his skating has gotten so bad he can’t do that. That’s my observation at least.
I feel like he's just out for a skate, trying to make it to the TDL healthy so he can be dealt to a contender and chase that big contract.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
How is Ryan Graves, who is pointless and arguably the worst defenseman on a team that is bad defensively, a +2 on the year?

Bottom pairing D that doesn't get PP time to effect a -1 from a shorty.
He is playing against lower competition that he can handle. In the top 4 and especially with the D partners you can see that change.

If he got paid 2.5 million to be the #5 and let's say had 2 more years. Nobody would even talk about Graves
The fact is he is 4.5 x 5 years so we notice him.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Toronto reporters were asking Berube if there's panic after a pre season game. Meanwhile, Yohe thinks Sullivan shits gold after 6 years of failure
Big market vs small market press. In a small market, if you get on the outs with an organization, it's much more difficult to survive. That's why I put more stock into someone like Jesse who covers the team and is actually willing to give you an honest answer. Not the "will the team be okay if I say this" answer.
Imagine if JR was able to trade Letang back in 2020-21, whenever it was. I'd love to see the alternate universe roster where that comes to fruition.
Potentially lukewarm take here but Petts has been every bit as bad or worse than Graves defensively.
When he needs to turn around ASAP because I'm hoping for a late 1st for him at the TDL.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
How is Ryan Graves, who is pointless and arguably the worst defenseman on a team that is bad defensively, a +2 on the year?

1729616332776.png

This is why. They are treating him like they would a sheltered POJ.

Another great move by Kyle Dubas....

Bottom pairing D that doesn't get PP time to effect a -1 from a shorty.
He is playing against lower competition that he can handle. In the top 4 and especially with the D partners you can see that change.

If he got paid 2.5 million to be the #5 and let's say had 2 more years. Nobody would even talk about Graves
The fact is he is 4.5 x 5 years so we notice him.

If we were paying 2.5 million to play Graves 14 minutes a night, I'd be complaining too.

Same issue I had with Hunwick.

Reactions: Dennis Reynolds

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad