Salary Cap: Pens '24-'25 Salary Thread: The Crosbicles Volume XIX

Honour Over Glory

Blomqvist for Vezina + ROTY
Jan 30, 2012
It's not our goalies," Crosby..."It's on us to play better in front of them."
"We're giving up odd-man rushes," Crosby said. "We're not getting clears."

He added: "Look at the game-winner. I lose the faceoff. Then I don't get my guy. And it ends up in the back of the net."
"We can't keep giving up five or six goals a game if we want to win," Crosby said.

Sid usually doesn't comment as much when they're in a funk but the stuff he said after this one is frustration and when your HOF franchise star is saying stuff like that, as a GM you gotta pay real close attention to what the real issues are and it's been the way they play. It's not one game or two they're like this. Routinely giving up the puck and giving up the 2nd most shots against per game and a lot of high danger shots.

His line has been ass sure but it's the way this entire team plays. That's on the coach.

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
After years the team is finally getting secondary scoring but now the whole team plays defense like they've never played hockey before. One thing gets fixed another breaks
This is a carry over from last season, all Ned needed to do last season was not allow 4 goals a game in that final 15 to win and his goals against was 3.00 goals against (4.00 a game and team allowed 3.38 and 19th for shots against). It's not new. It's just the team isn't out scoring as many as they let in like they did in the final 15 last season.

Scoring at 3.43 GF/G is fine but when you're allowing the 2nd most shots against and the collapses and turnovers are resulting in 4.43 GA/G is a recipe for disaster.

It's not even a rough patch either. These are all issues that this system had during various stretches last season and the year before but it's finally just started to happen all at once this season.

Reactions: Malkinstheman

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
“Do you think a new coach will make the players more disciplined?”

Yes Yohe. You may have forgotten after watching Sully suck for the last 5 years but that’s actually what a coach is supposed to do.

Sid below a ppg now. I’m sure he’s going to love watching his production drop playing with 3rd liners.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010

I think the new CBA would take effect next season. So Brunicke could potentially play in the AHL next season
That is so huge. Not that it's a worry anymore, but this is big for a guy like Yager. 4 seasons in the WHL. Not good enough to make the NHL but too young for the AHL. AHL development is what would be overall best for him. Then, having access to him throughout the season is important. For us next year, if you send a guy like Brunicke to the AHL, you can have access to him to get him a couple of games.

That said, you can still send a kid back to Juniors if you prefer. AHL is just a much-needed added option. The deal between the NCAA and CHL is huge too. The rules were so f***ing archaic between the leagues that it's nice to see some player-focused initiatives being implemented.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
“Do you think a new coach will make the players more disciplined?”

Yes Yohe. You may have forgotten after watching Sully suck for the last 5 years but that’s actually what a coach is supposed to do.

Sid below a ppg now. I’m sure he’s going to love watching his production drop playing with 3rd liners.

To be fair that post is from January.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I think we're where we are predicted to be. That said, I don't hate what was done in the off-season. We didn't bolster the roster but I'm quite sure what reasonable or other big additions we could have made that would have had a significant impact. Does anyone really think adding, for example, Marner to this squad would really change where we are at? Maybe be 4-3 instead of 3-4? Would he have been the difference between beating Toronto or NYR or not? I don't think so. So I'm glad we didn't get too crazy with contracts or additions.

Everyone we have is of relatively low consequence. The good news is that I think we have quite a few guys that will still garner interest at the TDL. In particular, Eller. Contract year for him and I think at his age he's eyeing a trade to a contender. He's on a hot streak at the moment and who knows if it's sustainable but a guy like him could easily get a 2nd+prospect back. Pettersson will be of interest, especially if we retain. I wouldn't close the door on a guy like Hayes being moved, even with the extra year. I'd rather keep Puljujarvi but a team could come asking about him. Same with Acciari.

I think Dubas has a good opportunity to sell at the TDL this year. I expect us to pick around #10. Adding a 2nd for Eller, a 1st from Pettersson, and maybe an additional 3rd or 4th from someone else, it could be another good restock of prospects. Next year, you run lean again and "tank" as "best" you can. Then you get Gavin. THEN...you rebuild with a nice shiny new toy!

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
I think we're where we are predicted to be. That said, I don't hate what was done in the off-season. We didn't bolster the roster but I'm quite sure what reasonable or other big additions we could have made that would have had a significant impact. Does anyone really think adding, for example, Marner to this squad would really change where we are at? Maybe be 4-3 instead of 3-4? Would he have been the difference between beating Toronto or NYR or not? I don't think so. So I'm glad we didn't get too crazy with contracts or additions.

Everyone we have is of relatively low consequence. The good news is that I think we have quite a few guys that will still garner interest at the TDL. In particular, Eller. Contract year for him and I think at his age he's eyeing a trade to a contender. He's on a hot streak at the moment and who knows if it's sustainable but a guy like him could easily get a 2nd+prospect back. Pettersson will be of interest, especially if we retain. I wouldn't close the door on a guy like Hayes being moved, even with the extra year. I'd rather keep Puljujarvi but a team could come asking about him. Same with Acciari.

I think Dubas has a good opportunity to sell at the TDL this year. I expect us to pick around #10. Adding a 2nd for Eller, a 1st from Pettersson, and maybe an additional 3rd or 4th from someone else, it could be another good restock of prospects. Next year, you run lean again and "tank" as "best" you can. Then you get Gavin. THEN...you rebuild with a nice shiny new toy!

But this goes back to: pick a f***ing lane already.

1. I would have loved for another kick at the can and fun times by adding a guy like Marner. Would it be the rational and right thing to do? No, but It'd be fun to see.

2. If they were just doing nothing of consequence this offseason then truly fully embrace the kids and stop signing these stupid vets which therefore blocks youngsters. Don't sign Grez (not complaining about him per se). Don't add Glass. Send Graves to the minors (or don't play him). Trade Jarry or send him down. The only reason we're seeing Blom is due to injury. I don't believe for a second that if Ned/Jarry were 100% healthy we'd see this guy.

It's this middle of the road crap that has me infuriated.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

1. I would have loved for another kick at the can and fun times by adding a guy like Marner. Would it be the rational and right thing to do? No, but It'd be fun to see.

2. If they were just doing nothing of consequence this offseason then truly fully embrace the kids and stop signing these stupid vets which therefore blocks youngsters. Don't sign Grez (not complaining about him per se). Don't add Glass. Send Graves to the minors (or don't play him). Trade Jarry or send him down. The only reason we're seeing Blom is due to injury. I don't believe for a second that if Ned/Jarry were 100% healthy we'd see this guy.

Yeah, Dubas continues to f*** up, by not choosing a path.

Why you re-signing Crosby if you are going to just throw in the towel?

Why you accepting Bunting in a trade for Jake if you aren't planning on competing this year?

Why you taking on bad contracts if you are going to continue to sign other bad contracts...

Last edited:

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
No one glazes Sullivan harder than Yohe but this one was f***ing hilarious...

I mean, Bylsma was the coaching change that changed things. Sullivan was quite literally a coaching change that changed things. So quite literally, other coaches have gotten results when the previous coach fails to. But oh no, not his lover boy Mike Sullivan.

Also still hilarious...
Maybe folks are just built differently, but I just can't ever be such a kiss ass like him no matter what. Like sacrificing my integrity, not to mention having my knowledge of the game put into question, all to defend a coach? I'd never do that just to keep my press pass.

Either that or Yohe's not actually a kiss ass and just is an absolute moron when it comes to hockey and truly doesn't know better.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010

The current and very short-term path of the team is not a binary choice. It's just not. It doesn't matter how many times people want the all-in or all-out option to choose from at arbitrarily convenient times; it's not reality.

The reality is, Dubas chose the only realistic path: Support Sid, Malkin, and Letang as best and cheaply as possible, build for the future. That's why he signed Beauvillier, that's why he took Glass and Hayes, that's why he didn't resign Jake and opted for a help-now and in the future package.

Everything he's done since the TDL last year has been geared toward that path. If the additions and the team do well, that would be awesome! If not, there is literally nothing of consequence. Beauvillier and Gryz are UFAs. Glass and Puljujarvi are decent depth young players. You can sell Petts, Gryz, Hayes, and Eller. Worst case, Hayes-Lizotte-Acciari is your 4th line next year while you fill the rest with young available guys in-house - McGroarty, Pono, Glass, etc.

It's really not that hard. It's a sucky middle ground to have to be in but let's be real, they were always going to resign the Big 3 and let them ride it out. For better or for worse. They've given us 18 years of service, they get to pick - especially Sid.

There's also a bit of a business case here. People don't want to pretend the team is a business, but it is. Revenues matter, even if it's FSG. You don't get big like FSG by paying max dollar for bad assets. So putting a team together to try to keep butts in seats can't be ignored.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad