Salary Cap: Pens '24-'25 Salary Thread: The Crosbicles Volume XIX

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
You can't complain too much about the Jake deal, just swapping an under-contract Bunting for Jake looks like a winner considering the cap differential and styles of play, and the fact we are committed to Bunting for only two more years. The pick and prospects were all just lottery tickets, if one pans out the trade was amazing, considering the salary cap space we got over the short and longer haul.

I keep expecting Jake to get injured sooner than later anyways. Would anyone be surprised after all the wear and tear if he started to have long stretches on IR or of ineffective play like he had here at times? Not anything against him, if we were going to keep one of Jake or Rust, I'd have preferred Jake. The timing of his free agency and cap hit just didn't work.
Except Dubas pissed away cap space on crappy players…again.

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
Anyone else worried Dubas might try to sign Marner? Dubas has always been in love with him. Marner’s been skating with Crosby in the offseason. If Dubas gives that soft, playoff no-show 11+ million x 8 that will be a disaster.
I would take Marner in a second but that will never happen. Crosby skates with everybody. Players skate with each other all the time now. It’s not like it was 20 years ago where everyone hated each other.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I would take Marner in a second but that will never happen. Crosby skates with everybody. Players skate with each other all the time now. It’s not like it was 20 years ago where everyone hated each other.
Yeah if Dubas wants to drive up a dump truck full of cash for Mitch why the f would the Pens not do that?

I don't think there's any chance in hell Marner would want to sign here for a team that is going to have no chance of winning for like a decade though.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Anyone else worried Dubas might try to sign Marner? Dubas has always been in love with him. Marner’s been skating with Crosby in the offseason. If Dubas gives that soft, playoff no-show 11+ million x 8 that will be a disaster.
Why would anyone dislike that? Marner's an elite playmaking, point producer. Sure, he isn't the best come playoff time, but let's be real; we're not really a playoff team anyways. He's just make the 82 game regular season more exciting to watch.

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
Marner does get genuinely worse in the playoffs but his "worse" is still "very good top six forward".. so I'll take superstar winger in regular season and "very good top six forward" in the playoffs.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
At this stage in their careers who cares if we sign Marner? Aint changing much. Will help Crosby get points though. We need to keep our picks at this point.

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010

Why would anyone dislike that? Marner's an elite playmaking, point producer. Sure, he isn't the best come playoff time, but let's be real; we're not really a playoff team anyways. He's just make the 82 game regular season more exciting to watch.
Why would anyone dislike that? Hes soft, cant handle pressure, hes an entitled diva who wines about the media treating him unfairly when he doesnt even show up in the playoffs. Have you not heard the narrative around Marner? Even large portions of his own fanbase hates him that’s a pretty big red flag.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Why would anyone dislike that? Hes soft, cant handle pressure, hes an entitled diva who wines about the media treating him unfairly when he doesnt even show up in the playoffs. Have you not heard the narrative around Marner? Even large portions of his own fanbase hates him that’s a pretty big red flag.

Ok so trade him for Graves.

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

"One of the most polarizing figures in the NHL right now is Toronto Maple Leafs right winger Phil Kessel. Over the course of his career, he has been accused of being surly with the media and has also been accused by some to be soft on the ice. But, he is also a very skilled player, as he was on Team USA in the Olympics last year and was also selected to the All-Star Game this season.
The former fifth overall selection in the draft has been plagued this season with his mark of minus-20 on his plus/minus, all the while playing for a team that is lacking vision."

"-34 and $8 million a year may have factored in. When the Leafs didn't have the puck (which was most of the time) they basically played shorthanded with Phil out there. Ovechkin got shredded for basically doing the same thing the year before....only he still scored 51 goals and actually hit people.

Toronto is a huge hockey town. If Kessel would have put forth even a bit of effort he would have been a sports hero in a city grasping for one. He just couldn't be bothered and deserves most of the negative comments he's getting. He can play A LOT better than he did last year.

Maybe the Toronto media does go overboard about the Leafs. Maybe? Of course they do. But it goes both ways, and when Kessel is actually trying he can do no wrong. Leaf players (not Pittsburgh media) know this better than anyone. Ask Darcy Tucker Tie Domi. Mats Sundin. Gary Roberts. Doug Gilmour. Wendel Clark. Guys who, you know, broke a sweat out there.

And that's some fine indepth reporting there...sticking up for Phil now that he's a Pen, yet admitting he hasn't seen him play other than against the Pens. in other words, he doesn't know what he's talking about. Bravo!"

Yeah, I should trust these dumb f***s.

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I mean, Toronto fans always need someone to bash. They don't want to blame Matthews for their playoff failures, so the easier target is the other guy making a lot of money. Neither have been particularly good in the playoffs, but only one of them (Marner) gets a lot of hate from their fanbase.

Again, his playoff performance might matter more if we were a contender and were building for another Cup run. But we're not. We're an old team that's probably going to miss the playoffs and plays boring hockey. Adding a guy who has creativity would at least make the games somewhat more interesting to watch rather than our slog of uncreative Sullivan hockey.

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
What does Jake have to gain by saying he told his agent to make a deal and he thought he was going to be in Pittsburgh forever?

I didn’t want him to be re-signed so I’m not sure why we have to act like he is lying.
Dubas basically stated he's entitled to say what he wants, I'm sure Dubas will never say how the negotiations really went but the fact that Jake won't shut the f*** about it is hilarious. He was a free agent at the end of the season. He had a choice to negotiate and return. That door was left open, he chose not to engage.

All anyone wants to do is cry about Jake, honestly I don't give a f***. To me he was gonna leave at the end of the season anyway. If anyone wants to be mad about why he left, it's because of Sullivan. Missing the year before, then basically trending towards that before he was moved, he was always going to test the market.

“Jake’s entitled to his opinion and has earned the right, especially in this market, to give his opinion,” Dubas said. “What I would say is, my hope going into the year is that everything would go to the most optimistic viewpoint.”

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
Why does any player say stuff like "I loved my time in X, great city, great fans, would've loved to stick around but it didn't work out" after they walked in FA and signed some huge deal elsewhere?

If Jake wanted to be on the Pens, he had to take a steep discount. He didn't want to, nor should he have, as this is his only shot at a huge deal before retirement. It's a business, plain and simple, imo. There's never been a reason to take a player, coach, or GM at face value for what they say in interviews. /shrug
The crying about him being moved and not retained given that is always funny to me. Like I said he could have signed as a free agent. But his chance at a bigger pay day was more enticing for him. That's fine. I'd wish he'd shut the f*** up though.

Like mate if you wanted to stay, Dubas would have kept him at cap hit that worked for the Pens. Then they don't make the move for Glass or Hayes. I could have seen 8-8.5m avg for him, but yeah, I hate it when players keep talking about how they wanted to stay and really he could have. He is also responsible for that trade happening. He also could have returned.

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
The last time we picked up a talented player that you lot whined about, he ended up being a stud that won 2 cups with the Penguins. I hope Marner doesn't sign in Toronto and does come to the Penguins.

Just to see you lot lose your shit.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
True, but the last time we took a "lazy" franchise winger from the Leafs it worked out pretty well.
Leafs fans calling him lazy are hopeless. He's like their most diligent 2-way Forward. Best PKer even.
You wanna know who's lazy? Their ex-Captain, John Tavares. Dude's always coasted when the opposition has the puck.
But he'll get a pass because he made that blind centering pass that went in off a defender's skate to get them to round 2 lol.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad