Salary Cap: Pens '23-'24 Salary Cap Thread: "Mandrake, do you recall what Clemenceau once said about hockey"

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Waivers weren't required. He was a free agent who could sign with anyone. He's on the NHL roster. The only time he'd have to go through waivers is if the Pens send him down to WBS at some point in the future.
I thought if you signed after a certain date, like January 1st, you had to pass through waivers. Pinto was exempt because of his suspension. I think Kane signed at the deadline.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Why is Dubas only having “casual discussions” with Jake at this point? He really is Hextall 2.0,

Bishop7979

Sep 9, 2005
To PIT: Roy, Kolesar, Brisson, 1st (2024), 2nd (2025)

To VGK: Guentzel (40%), Joseph
Sorry but that just looks like an awful deal.

If you are sending out Jake, at 40percent, you have to do better than a 3rd liner, a 4th liner and a prospect on his, what draft plus 3, who isn't exactly making a mark at the ahl level.

Brisson has potential but the shines wearing off, the draft picks are nice, but you have to get a can't miss guy for Jake. You get a top prospect, someone who has Jake potential.

Jake at 40 percent retained IS the biggest piece on the market if they move him, and it's not even close.

This is like trading kobe beef for two scratchers, a couple Sheetz hot dogs and a turners ice tea.

metalan2

May 30, 2008

If you are sending out Jake, at 40percent, you have to do better than a 3rd liner, a 4th liner and a prospect on his, what draft plus 3, who isn't exactly making a mark at the ahl level.

Brisson has potential but the shines wearing off, the draft picks are nice, but you have to get a can't miss guy for Jake. You get a top prospect, someone who has Jake potential.

Jake at 40 percent retained IS the biggest piece on the market if they move him, and it's not even close.

This is like trading kobe beef for two scratchers, a couple Sheetz hot dogs and a turners ice tea.
Yea, Sean Monahan got a first.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia

I see nothing wrong with getting a 1st and 2nd for 20 games of Jake + playoffs.
You can't demand a top prospect for a rental winger. Come on. A GM who pisses that away should be fired on the spot.
If Jake came with guarantees at an extension, that's a different story.

Bishop7979

Sep 9, 2005
I wonder if a team like the red wings would be of interest in Jake?

They are a bordering on the playoffs, brought in Kane to be competitive this year so they aren't tanking and have the cap this year to acquire Jake and with ghost and perron coming off the books resign him.

Jakes a guy with larkin, debricant, and Raymond make a solid top 4 forward group with Jake being the oldest at 29.

They have a lot of depth in their prospects so they have assets to move to speed up their rebuilding.

Kaspar would have to come back, with a 1st and a player. Maybe Rasmussen?

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
I thought if you signed after a certain date, like January 1st, you had to pass through waivers. Pinto was exempt because of his suspension. I think Kane signed at the deadline.
Nope.

Pinto was an RFA. RFAs normally have to sign by Dec. 1 to be eligible for the rest of the season. He received an exemption because of his suspension. Waivers weren't a factor.

Kane and Puljujarvi were UFAs. You can sign UFAs at any point during the season, though if you sign them after the trade deadline they are ineligible for the

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019

They are a bordering on the playoffs, brought in Kane to be competitive this year so they aren't tanking and have the cap this year to acquire Jake and with ghost and perron coming off the books resign him.

Jakes a guy with larkin, debricant, and Raymond make a solid top 4 forward group with Jake being the oldest at 29.

They have a lot of depth in their prospects so they have assets to move to speed up their rebuilding.

That's the kind of team I think Dubas should be looking at first and foremost. A team that's been bad recently enough to have really solid prospects that feels like this is their year to go all-in and try to make a jump toward legitimacy.

Bishop7979

Sep 9, 2005
I see nothing wrong with getting a 1st and 2nd for 20 games of Jake + playoffs.
You can't demand a top prospect for a rental winger. Come on. A GM who pisses that away should be fired on the spot.
If Jake came with guarantees at an extension, that's a different story.
Jake added to Vegas makes them a contender along with Vancouver and Dallas.

I mean Jake-Eichel-Stone and barb-karlsson-march is as best a top six as there is.

Jake is one of the best playoff producers of the past what, ten years? You don't sell him for a discount because Vegas doesn't have the cap to resign him.

Vegas pays market value because he immediately improves their chances of another cup.

Vancouver prob can't keep Lindholm and look at what they gave up. Top prospect, 1st round pick, top six winger, another good prospect, and a 4th.

A trade with Vegas starts with edstrom and a first, edstrom is vegas' top prospect but vegas' prospect pool are not nearly as good as Vancouver's.

as for trying to come up with a Vegas equivalent for the rest of the Lindholm deal, I'm asking for dorofeyev, and Roy (for cap purposes), and Ivan Morozov (just to watch this board melt down).

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
& The Cartels in Mexico are bringing it in unabated
Most of the drugs that are smuggled into this country from the south are brought in from legal ports of entry by US citizens. Like over 90%. Unless you shut down the southern borders, (which would be financially crippling so not will never happen) there really are no viable, effective solutions besides preaching drug abstinence (lol) or full on legalization.

Interestingly enough, when a lot of ports of entry were closed during Covid, fentanyl production and smuggling went way up because it’s far less bulky than heroin. Same thing happened during prohibition; they made the alcohol stronger so it went further. So, closing the southern border, even if it were a possibility, would likely make the problem even worse.

Reactions: bambamcam4ever

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
I'm a few pages late, but: yeah, there's plenty of NHL cities I'd rather live in than Pittsburgh. Especially if I were a millionaire. It's probably easier for me to list the cities I wouldn't prefer over the 412: Calgary, Edmonton, Winnipeg, St Louis, Columbus, NJ, Long Island, Buffalo, Detroit, Ottawa.

Anyway, as of right now given the Pens playoff standing I would trade Jake. Get some recently drafted, promising prospects as opposed to draft picks. Or younger NHLers. That'd "accelerate" the rebuild.

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
I'm a few pages late, but: yeah, there's plenty of NHL cities I'd rather live in than Pittsburgh. Especially if I were a millionaire. It's probably easier for me to list the cities I wouldn't prefer over the 412: Calgary, Edmonton, Winnipeg, St Louis, Columbus, NJ, Long Island, Buffalo, Detroit, Ottawa.

Anyway, as of right now given the Pens playoff standing I would trade Jake. Get some recently drafted, promising prospects as opposed to draft picks. Or younger NHLers. That'd "accelerate" the rebuild.
Aren't you thrilled to see what Yager can do as a 4th liner? The future is bright!

Yea, Sean Monahan got a first.
A 1st and a conditional for a player that was good before his injury and has rebounded quite well. But also, Monahan came at a much lower cap hit while being a solid depth add.

Jake can go for a lot more, I think Dubas should retain as much as he can on Guentzel as well (UFA, makes it easier to eat half and get a big return for the rest of the season than multi-year).

I'd look at a 1st, A- level prospect, a conditional pick, and a change of scenery prospect. Or something like this if Dallas was interested for example....

To Dallas:
Jake Guentzel, 40% retained, Valtteri Puustinen, Alex Nedeljkovic

To Pittsburgh
Mason Marchment (cap), 1st in 2024, Mavrik Bourque, Conditional 3rd round pick that turns into 2nd if Dallas makes it to WCF with Jake, and Ayrton Martino (Pens take cap dump Wedgewood and demote him to the AHL or flip him elsewhere and recall Hellberg).

Then start selling with Reilly Smith, Bryan Rust, Rickard Rakell, any of the bottom 6 depth players for picks, move DOC as well.

Smith (if he remains), Crosby, Bourque
Marchment, Malkin, Puljujarvi
Poulin, Eller, Hinostroza
Gruden, White, Carter

etc etc for the rest of the season. Sign Martino if he's ready to leave College, throw him the incentives to or whatever to join the Pens the rest of the season and put him with Sid or Eller.

Edit: To make this happen, hell I'd take on Dadonov for the rest of his contract.

Last edited:

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013

They brought Kane in to be competitive this year, but they didn't have to give up what it's going to take to get Jake to do it. They have a good young squad that they are building, so I'm not sure this is their make or break year to make a move like Jake.

And Perron is coming off the books, but Seider and Raymond are RFA that are still on their ELC. They are going to take up pretty much all of their extra cap space, maybe more.

You're right, though, they do have a big need at LW with Perron.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Speaking of the Wings and their cap space, they are paying Copp $5.6M to be a defensive 3rd liner (65% DZ starts). But when he was used closer to 50% with the Jets and the Rangers, he was a 50-ish point player, largely at even strength, and strong defensively. Might be more of an offseason move, but if they are looking to clear some space for next year, the Pens might be able to get him real cheap.

Malkin - Crosby - Rakell/Rust
Smith - Copp - Rust/Rakell
DOC - Eller - Puusy/Poolparty/Poulin/whoever

They could use L1 as a purely offensive line and then use L2 and L3 more evenly. I'd still be looking to move on from 1 or 2 of Rakell, Rust, and Smith, but you get the idea.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Aren't you thrilled to see what Yager can do as a 4th liner? The future is bright!

A 1st and a conditional for a player that was good before his injury and has rebounded quite well. But also, Monahan came at a much lower cap hit while being a solid depth add.

Jake can go for a lot more, I think Dubas should retain as much as he can on Guentzel as well (UFA, makes it easier to eat half and get a big return for the rest of the season than multi-year).

I'd look at a 1st, A- level prospect, a conditional pick, and a change of scenery prospect. Or something like this if Dallas was interested for example....

To Dallas:

To Pittsburgh
Mason Marchment (cap), 1st in 2024, Mavrik Bourque, Conditional 3rd round pick that turns into 2nd if Dallas makes it to WCF with Jake, and Ayrton Martino (Pens take cap dump Wedgewood and demote him to the AHL or flip him elsewhere and recall Hellberg).

Then start selling with Reilly Smith, Bryan Rust, Rickard Rakell, any of the bottom 6 depth players for picks, move DOC as well.

Gruden, White, Carter

etc etc for the rest of the season. Sign Martino if he's ready to leave College, throw him the incentives to or whatever to join the Pens the rest of the season and put him with Sid or Eller.

Edit: To make this happen, hell I'd take on Dadonov for the rest of his contract.
I like Dallas as a trade partner but I’d like to see Jake for 1st and Wyatt Johnson and cap dump or retained at 50%…

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010

To Dallas:

To Pittsburgh

Gruden, White, Carter

I asked Dallas fans awhile back about something similar and they said no. Marchment has really picked up his play and likely won't be moved. They really like Bourque as well. They are pretty set at LW too with Benn and Robertson. So while i love the deal on paper, I don't think it's something Dallas does.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I asked Dallas fans awhile back about something similar and they said no. Marchment has really picked up his play and likely won't be moved. They really like Bourque as well. They are pretty set at LW too with Benn and Robertson. So while i love the deal on paper, I don't think it's something Dallas does.

They might not move Marchment but what about Fasksa who only has 10 points on season and Bourque is a RW too and Stars are chalk full of them so I suggested moving us Johnston lol

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
They might not move Marchment but what about Fasksa who only has 10 points on season and Bourque is a RW too and Stars are chalk full of them so I suggested moving us Johnston lol
Lol, yeah right.

Bourque might make sense if the deal is Jake@50% for Dadonov, Bourque, 2nd with the assumption that Jake can go to RW.

They say they need defense though. They want an upgrade on Suter. Maybe they'd take Graves, lol.

Reactions: Andy99

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
at first i started to puke over the handrail because this would be so sully. but after thinking about this. yager is quite capable defensively. so it could work. (if he gets strong enough to hold up physically.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad