Salary Cap: Pens '23-'24 Salary Cap Thread: "Mandrake, do you recall what Clemenceau once said about hockey"

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
I think we all know the answer to this.
They’re at least consistent, even the Steelers stuff is pretty f***ing trash, especially Steelerswire.

This is the "make Acciari available" signal.
I honestly think Dubas should sell some of the bottom 6 players that could get the Pens a 1st from a team, this team needs to get as many as possible and start looking at Dallas‘ Forward depth as inspiration. Play some of the youth from WBS the rest of the season and sell as many of the vets Dubas can get a 1st for from the bottom 6, etc.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
They’re at least consistent, even the Steelers stuff is pretty f***ing trash, especially Steelerswire.

I honestly think Dubas should sell some of the bottom 6 players that could get the Pens a 1st from a team, this team needs to get as many as possible and start looking at Dallas‘ Forward depth as inspiration. Play some of the youth from WBS the rest of the season and sell as many of the vets Dubas can get a 1st for from the bottom 6, etc.
I would take a 7th for Nieto, Acciari, Carter, Harkins, White, or Nylander. Either a 7th for each or a 7th for all. Either or.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
Eller went for a 2nd round pick last year. I don't think, even with the way he's been playing, that he'd go for a first. Acciari wouldn't go for a first, either.

Expecting that kind of a return, including Seravalli's comments about Dowd, is a bit unrealistic.

Reactions: The Old Master

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
I would start selling to get as many picks and prospects as I can right now. If Ned doesn’t want to re-sign, move him for a pick, I think Dubas can get a 2nd and a later pick for him. Even for Jake, I would look at retention on him and another to maximize a return on a player that is on an expiring contract. Make the move on POJ or Ty and get a 2nd or whatever for them as well, the bottom 6 players for teams that are contenders, try to get a late 1st. I would try to recoup as many picks and any prospects that need a change from teams as I could. I would then just call up Hellberg and then give Blom a game or two as well down the stretch, call up Poulin, Gruden (if he’s healthy now) etc and roll them on the club, this is a good opportunity for Dubas to reshape as much as he can and draft as many prospects as he can.

I would definitely retain on Jeff Carter and ask him to see which team he would like to go to and get him off the books for something even if it’s a late 3rd rounder with 15-20% retained, that’s worth the move alone. FSG wants to be f***ing losers with this hard on for Sully, then eat the retention you dumb f***s.

It’s foolish to think this is a contender, if Dubas can’t see it, I’d be alarmed. To blow assets to give Sullivan a shot to barely miss or get trounced in the first round is a waste. You can’t have this roster barely be a playoff team. Next year, focus on a balance of youth and vets. If there is any hope, a coaching change would be a good kick in the bollocks for any of those changes.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
I would take a 7th for Nieto, Acciari, Carter, Harkins, White, or Nylander. Either a 7th for each or a 7th for all. Either or.
I know we think lowly of most of them, but they can get at least better than a 7th for some of those players.

Nylander is not worth moving to be honest, unless he’s a throw in for a deal just to clear a contract at best. Harkins is definitely a 6th-7th round pick, same for White, a player they’re probably better keeping if they retain on Carter and see which team will take him for a contender for bottom 6 depth and leadership.

I’d even dump Chad Ruhwedel to a team looking for bottom pair RHD help and a lot of teams are desperate for RHD‘s that have experience so he could net the Pens at best a 4th-5th I think. Hell, JR/Allvin might be interested to add Ruhwedel to their squad for depth since they have familiarity.

Pens already retained on Petry for another season, so they can retain on 2 more players. I’d choose those wisely to maximize the best return since they’ll have 2 more next season. I think Carter is a good bet, Guentzel to me would be the other one. If Dallas was suddenly interested I’d be super pumped as they have the best type of players we’d want.

It pisses me off to see Puustinen sent back down and I am sure that’s the last we see of him because Sullivan made sure he couldn’t do shit to be kept up. We’ll likely see Puljujaarvi up next anyway. But to keep White up over Puustinen, to say I f***ing hate Sullivan isn’t even fair to the word hate, it’s beyond that at this point. He’s a f***ing piece of shit loser and I hope this team just collapses completely for him to miss the playoffs for sure. f*** this pos coach.

Reactions: SEALBound

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
Eller went for a 2nd round pick last year. I don't think, even with the way he's been playing, that he'd go for a first. Acciari wouldn't go for a first, either.

Expecting that kind of a return, including Seravalli's comments about Dowd, is a bit unrealistic.
Seravalli is a wanker and a half. He was recently bitching about Crosby slacking it at the joke that is the NHL All-Star game and the Skills competition, that f***ing loser can go eat shit for all I care.

As for Eller, he’s actually on pace to produce better than last season at 26pts vs last year when he put up 23pts in 84 games. Eller won’t be moved though, they just signed him to a 2yr deal, it’s bad for optics for players to see other players that were free agents that came to a new team and signed multi-year deals and are moved within the first year. I mean if the fit is so bad it needs to happen is fine, but otherwise it’s just a terrible look on Dubas who seems to be fine being shit on for his moves to absolve Sullivan for any of the issues he’s causing. Eller has been Sullivan proof as well, he’s gotten the hardest usage of his long career under Sullivan and he’s doing better than last season (had good chemistry with DOC for a good stretch that helped too). The issue with Eller is that he’s a 4C being used as a 3C. Dowd is a 4c on the Caps producing at the same clip as Eller. Dowd is cheaper (1.1m/yr less, also a right handed shot and has been producing as well as Eller in a 4th line role vs 3C that Eller is).

Dealing Acciari, also a bad look, signed a 3yr deal to come to the Pens and also has a NMC on his contract for a 32yr old player. Nedeljkovic might be the one that gets the Pens a 2nd or a late 1st by a team looking to bolster their goaltending depth. It’s funny that the only player that has looked “good” for Dubas is Ned, that’s because Sullivan can’t shit over his usage other than over playing him. The Pens goaltending has been fine, the rest of the roster is used like shit again.

This team is f***ed. There’s no magical trade that fixes what Sullivan will keep doing to this team, but then the team can’t be afraid to make moves either to spark something even if it means they lose more talent, can’t get the return they should for these players, etc.

Isn‘t it ironic though that blokes here are fine with Lars Eller as a 3C, on pace for 26pts at best, but bitched about Teddy Blueger who was producing around 22-25pts in a 4th line role, a busted ass Jeff Carter was producing 29pts in a 3C role last season. Carter meanwhile is now producing on a 13pt pace and is still a regular under Mike Sullivan. Acciari had 23pts last season, is on pace for 9pts. Imagine Ryan Graves producing at a better rate with John Marino than Erik Karlsson, let that sink in.

Bullet Proof Sullivan!

PS - Lafferty Is on a 33pt pace, Blueger is on pace for 41pts in 68 games - would be a 49pt pace in 82 games, admittedly I was a big Blueger homer and was pissed at how he was used knowing he was capable of way better and well shit, 21pts in 35 games with Dakota Joshua and Garland, which isn’t some insane line either, Garland is on pace for 40pts which is a dip from last season, Blueger is out producing him but Garland has been trending down since his first year on the Canucks.

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
I know we think lowly of most of them, but they can get at least better than a 7th for some of those players.

Nylander is not worth moving to be honest, unless he’s a throw in for a deal just to clear a contract at best. Harkins is definitely a 6th-7th round pick, same for White, a player they’re probably better keeping if they retain on Carter and see which team will take him for a contender for bottom 6 depth and leadership.

I’d even dump Chad Ruhwedel to a team looking for bottom pair RHD help and a lot of teams are desperate for RHD‘s that have experience so he could net the Pens at best a 4th-5th I think. Hell, JR/Allvin might be interested to add Ruhwedel to their squad for depth since they have familiarity.

Pens already retained on Petry for another season, so they can retain on 2 more players. I’d choose those wisely to maximize the best return since they’ll have 2 more next season. I think Carter is a good bet, Guentzel to me would be the other one. If Dallas was suddenly interested I’d be super pumped as they have the best type of players we’d want.

It pisses me off to see Puustinen sent back down and I am sure that’s the last we see of him because Sullivan made sure he couldn’t do shit to be kept up. We’ll likely see Puljujaarvi up next anyway. But to keep White up over Puustinen, to say I f***ing hate Sullivan isn’t even fair to the word hate, it’s beyond that at this point. He’s a f***ing piece of shit loser and I hope this team just collapses completely for him to miss the playoffs for sure. f*** this pos coach.

Yes Acciari isn't going for a 7th. He is very well respected around the league for his game. I get people are upset on a message board because he isn't potting goals. That's not his game and he definitely isn't going to find some goals here with the way the bottom 6 is constructed.

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
Yes Acciari isn't going for a 7th. He is very well respected around the league for his game. I get people are upset on a message board because he isn't potting goals. That's not his game and he definitely isn't going to find some goals here with the way the bottom 6 is constructed.
Very few do, until they leave, anyway.

Reactions: SEALBound

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
I don't mind having a bottom 6 filled with non-offensive role players, but at least make them physical and hard to play against and don't neuter the physical players we do have.
We already know Sullivan doesn’t like the physical and hard to play against types. He likes the type Harkins is and what ZAR was. He hated Lafferty because for one, he didn’t know how to coach him at all yet apparently every other coach in the NHL that Lafferty went to, did. Sullivan loved Archibald, who kind of just threw hits away from the play and when it really didn’t matter. No one coming into the forecheck hard and along the boards, just “SANDIWCH OF THE GAME, CHUD TURDWEDEL THROWS A HIT THAT DOESN’T CHANGE A SINGLE THING IN THE GAME!”

Also, the “bottom 6 filled with non-offensive role players” apparently only turn into that under Sullivan, once they leave, they turn into “bottom 6 role players with solid offensive upside.”

Weird, huh?

Ironically, Sullivan’s 2 cups came because he got offense out of his bottom 6 players and helped carry the load, something Tocchet has been able to do since leaving but Sullivan has drastically struggled to do. Even Jeff Carter and his 49pts were because he got a lot of time in the top 6 during some points, players that have primarily been bottom 6 players producing like that outside of the 2 cups don’t exist under Sullivan. They get their stats inflated with top 6 time, but in a primarily bottom 6 role? It’s been awful for 7yrs.

Now Yohe, Rossi, the rest of the clowns would have you believe that for 7yrs, the GM has been f***ing up and Sullivan hasn’t.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
Sell the bottom 6 if we can get whatever for them right now, figure out in the off season to rebuild it with the cap going up. Even Jeff Carter might draw interest here... It's a sellers market

wizmet12

wizmet1_2
Feb 19, 2014
That would be pretty depressing if they trade Jake and keep Rust, i'd rather save Jake and dump Brian R.

OTOH reading this 3 Trades Rangers Can Make as Deadline Deals Already Go Down
A trade between the two sides likely looks like Guentzel being moved to the Rangers, with an extension attached, in exchange for Barclay Goodrow, Kaapo Kakko, Matthew Robertson, a 2024 first-round pick, a 2024 fifth-round pick, and a 2027 second-round pick.
makes me think taht i'd do it.

Last edited:

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Yeah, but the problem is Jake has an 8-team NTC and Rust has an NMC.

Rust absolutely should be out the door before Jake, but he won't be for reasons that escape me.

Reactions: wizmet12

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
If Dowd is worth a 1st (which he isn’t imo) than you better make Eller and Acciari available.

Some of the returns already..... You make quite a few players available.

Can't win with em - maybe you can without em.

Team needs a restructuring something fierce/desperate. This style of whatever the F the Pens are icing has clearly been proven NOT to work here anymore. I don't know how big of a sample size we're in need of here but talk about stubbornness/insanity...

Reactions: HandshakeLine

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Seems more quantity than quality to me.

I don't think they'd trade Jake to a divisional rival, especially with an extension in place.

Agreed. I'd rather have one actually legit prospect or a good younger roster player plus a first then that big load of whatever. Kakko is living off draft status at this point. Matthew Robertson is a mediocre defenseman prospect picked in 2019... and by mediocre I mean mediocre even by this team's prospect pool standards. Goodrow lol

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Is Puljujarvi on the NHL team? I think to continue playing in the AHL he'd have to clear waivers.

He might have to clear anyway since he signed this late in the season?

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
Is Puljujarvi on the NHL team? I think to continue playing in the AHL he'd have to clear waivers.

He might have to clear anyway since he signed this late in the season?
Yes, he's on the NHL team.

To add, he doesn't have to clear waivers to sign. Every team in the NHL already had a chance to sign him as a free agent. He would have to clear waivers now to go to WBS.

Last edited:
Reactions: BusinessGoose

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Agreed. I'd rather have one actually legit prospect or a good younger roster player plus a first then that big load of whatever. Kakko is living off draft status at this point. Matthew Robertson is a mediocre defenseman prospect picked in 2019... and by mediocre I mean mediocre even by this team's prospect pool standards. Goodrow lol
Good news, guys. Carter's $3M+ comes off the books so we can finally use that cap space somewhere other than L4! The bad news, we used it on Goodrow for the next 3+ years.

I thought Kakko might have turned the corner last year, but he's regressed back into bust territory. There might still be some untapped potential, but not enough to send a 40 goal scorer to a divisional rival with an extension.

So Malkin needs a goal scorer on his line? Ya don't say...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad