Salary Cap: Pens 2024 Summer Thread: "Thus, knocking us out of these superior numbers when we emerge! Mr. President, we must not allow a non-playoff bound gap!"

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
As i said earlier. He probably WANTS to make a move i.e Jarry, Smith, Rakell etc. But he doesnt wanna pay to get rid of them, or take bad contract back.
Yes, people need to get that Dubas is posturing…he wants to trade some vets but is not getting the prospect or draft pick offers…probably just to trade a bad contract for a worse one, or have to give up a pick to move Jarry’s contract for example…so he’s between a rock and a hard place…has to wait it out and try again

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
People are aware there’s a middle ground between blowing the team up entirely and doing nothing, right?

I’m discouraged at the Dubas quotes because it seems like he’s going to do nothing, which is absolutely not what I wanted him to do this offseason. It’s not about him going a full blown tear down right now, it’s that he seems content just sitting on his hands and doing nothing.

For me, it’s not about the path Dubas says he wants to take. It’s that I really get the impression that he’s going to be passive about it, which is absolutely not the correct path for him to be taking.

Yeah, I don’t understand why this is so difficult to grasp.

Yes, people need to get that Dubas is posturing…he wants to trade some vets but is not getting the prospect or draft pick offers…probably just to trade a bad contract for a worse one, or have to give up a pick to move Jarry’s contract for example…so he’s between a rock and a hard place

If he’s truly about “letting the youth play” we will see what he does in UFA.

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
So, our pick was used for Konsta Helenius a legitimate high upside prospect.

So glad we got EK, though. He really turned the PP around and is totally worth his defensive shortcomings.

200w.gif
Did you think they were gonna pick a bum at 14?

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
If this team is building for the future, why shouldn’t he be bringing back bad contracts? He should be sending out guys like Rakell and Smith for a bad contract plus assets to build up the prospect pool.
Yes, but he’s not getting those offers clearly…that’s what I got from listening to him

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
I’m curious today to see if there some moves to be made as far as trades go. I think Dubas is just trying to play poker with some of his comments. He can’t possibly look at the roster as is and think yep everything is fine… can he?

I mean, he double downed on Mike Sullivan so hard he let him bring in one of the worst coaches in the league as an assistant.

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
People are aware there’s a middle ground between blowing the team up entirely and doing nothing, right?

I’m discouraged at the Dubas quotes because it seems like he’s going to do nothing, which is absolutely not what I wanted him to do this offseason. It’s not about him going a full blown tear down right now, it’s that he seems content just sitting on his hands and doing nothing.

For me, it’s not about the path Dubas says he wants to take. It’s that I really get the impression that he’s going to be passive about it, which is absolutely not the correct path for him to be taking.
Nothing he said seriously indicates he’s “doing nothing” but that he isn’t going to be buying expensive FAs or trading for guys who aren’t younger. Stuff we already kind of knew. Any comment from a GM about players currently under contract is a lie they have to say.

Reactions: SEALBound

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
People want to bitch. Doesn't matter the move. Mangiapane is a good example:

Dubas uses a 2nd to get him: Dammit Dubas! You can't give away future for middle 6 players! What the hell!?
Dubas does NOT use a 2nd to get him: Dammit Dubas! You sat on your hands! Where were you with this one! There is no plan!

We knew people were going to be in this thread bitching about Helenius no matter what. Has nothing to do with Helenius. Could have been anyone. Doesn't matter. They want to bitch.

Throughout the year, we wanted nothing more than for the lineup to be infused with youth. Now, Dubas says "We want to be contenders and we want to do so by infusing the lineup with hungry, young players. We won't dump good players for nothing nor will we pay to ditch anyone"

But then people come here and say "Ders no plun!" Again, they are here merely to bitch. Sad existence.
How is going to acquire that youth though? Because he also said “I’m not moving guys just to move them.” Well moving a guy like Smith out is how you create room to infuse youth… but he’s not just willing to dump him… so how is he creating any space for youth exactly? What is he waiting on?

If this team is building for the future, why shouldn’t he be bringing back bad contracts? He should be sending out guys like Rakell and Smith for a bad contract plus assets to build up the prospect pool.
Isn’t this exactly what Pixies was saying and you were against like a day ago lol?

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
How is going to acquire that youth though? Because he also said “I’m not moving guys just to move them.” Well moving a guy like Smith out is how you create room to infuse youth… but he’s not just willing to dump him… so how is he creating any space for youth exactly? What is he waiting on?
Again, he’s telling GMs he’s been dealing with that he’s not going to add an asset just to move his vets…apparently he’s not getting only futures back to trade Smith etc…probably GMs want an asset back or to give him another bad contract in return…he’s not getting what he wants back

BrookswasHere44

Jun 22, 2009
I think he's in an impossible position of trying to be competitive and also not tear it all down. Especially with Sid needing signed, Sid could very possibly be making the situation even more impossible.

Sid could, and rightfully so, could be saying he doesn't want to sign up for a rebuild. They are probably trying to figure out a happy medium. I just think the entire thing is impossible.

Reactions: ChaosAgent

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
I think he's in an impossible position of trying to be competitive and also not tear it all down. Especially with Sid needing signed, Sid could very possibly be making the situation even more impossible.

Sid could, and rightfully can be saying he doesn't want to sign up for a rebuild. They are probably trying to figure out a happy medium. I just think the entire thing is impossible.

Then don’t.

Make moves. The future will take forever to reach. Burn assets, bring in players on short term and if you don’t get to the playoffs trade them.

Don’t re-sign Marcus Pettersson. Don’t bring back Ned.

Reactions: HandshakeLine

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Sid could, and rightfully can be saying he doesn't want to sign up for a rebuild
But what on earth would he do otherwise? There is no way we can be a contender now. This team's absolute ceiling is "hot streak to squeak into the playoffs, lose in R1". If Sid doesn't want a rebuild he should be thinking about retiring or going somewhere else. If he wants to be a one-team guy like Yzerman and Lemieux, he has to suck it up and deal with the rebuild.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

Isn’t this exactly what Pixies was saying and you were against like a day ago lol?

No, pixies was saying take on Mikheyev’s deal for a 2nd without sending anyone out. I’ve been clear about wanting to trade Rakell, Jarry, Smith and such for a bad contract plus assets.

I don’t want them to just be a dumping ground for bad contracts, I also want them to get out of some of their contracts too.

BrookswasHere44

Jun 22, 2009
But what on earth would he do otherwise? There is no way we can be a contender now. This team's absolute ceiling is "hot streak to squeak into the playoffs, lose in R1". If Sid doesn't want a rebuild he should be thinking about retiring or going somewhere else. If he wants to be a one-team guy like Yzerman and Lemieux, he has to suck it up and deal with the rebuild.
I mean, I agree with you. I'm just saying I THINK a happy medium is trying to be achieved. Like I said though, I think that's impossible

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
Again, he’s telling GMs he’s been dealing with that he’s not going to add an asset just to move his vets…apparently he’s not getting only futures back to trade Smith etc…probably GMs want an asset back or to give him another bad contract in return…he’s not getting what he wants back
You can’t tell me a team wouldn’t take Reilly Smith for a 4th or 5th… he’s not getting what he wants because his ask is unrealistic. So he’s just going to throw his hands in the air and say “there weren’t any deals that made sense for us, but we are extremely confident in the group we have.” He’s going to sign a few depth guys (who probably aren’t very young and hungry) and it’s just going to be a repeat of the same old shit

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Yzerman looking like a fool GM more and more with each day too. If you're going to be a dumbass please take Jarry instead of Trouba. NYR seem to be able to find a team to get rid of their trash just in time like every freaking time.
People always assume smart player equals smart GM or coach (or person) they’re almost always not.

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
Yzerman looking like a fool GM more and more with each day too. If you're going to be a dumbass please take Jarry instead of Trouba. NYR seem to be able to find a team to get rid of their trash just in time like every freaking time.
Jarry hasn’t lead with his elbow enough to be attractive

• Haha
Reactions: Andy99

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
You can’t tell me a team wouldn’t take Reilly Smith for a 4th or 5th… he’s not getting what he wants because his ask is unrealistic. So he’s just going to throw his hands in the air and say “there weren’t any deals that made sense for us, but we are extremely confident in the group we have.” He’s going to sign a few depth guys (who probably aren’t very young and hungry) and it’s just going to be a repeat of the same old shit
Could be…we dont know what his ask is obviously

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Portugal vs Slovenia
    KNOCKOUT Portugal vs Slovenia
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $28,564.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bolivia vs Panama