Confirmed Trade: [WSH/OTT] Jakob Chychrun for Nick Jensen and 2026 3rd round pick

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
Bad asset management, no thanks to Dorion. Sens traded a 1st for a hyped up chychrun.

However, you can't say it's a bad return for Chychrun's current value. He is very poor defensively and gives minimal effort on a nightly basis.
I'm sure he will give more effort in a different situation. I expect him to have a big turnaround season.

Butchy Dakkar

Dark Butch Yak didn't seem right.
Oct 3, 2020
Chychrun was miscast playing on the right most of the year, played better when on the left due to injuries, also didn’t get much time QBing the PP (on the half wall sometimes with his killer shot though). However, definitely not the strong physical defender we hoped for, which is odd because when we played the Coyotes he seemed to be that. Probably needs to be top pairing to find his groove again. But yeah, wicked shot will be missed, high risk boneheaded plays in transition will not be missed.

I hope he does well in Washington.

At least we got a better fit for us with a defensive RHD, extra year helps too. Underwhelming but actually traded for a fit for a change.

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
He can score goals for sure. I’m sure he’ll look great being the main guy taking one timers on the PP in Washington.

Outside of his shot he’s pillow soft, puts off a weird vibe, and seems completely unpredictable in his own end. He won’t take retaliatory penalties which is good but he will watch teammates get abused while looking straight at the ice to avoid potential conflict which seems not so good.

Good riddance.
If Jensen can play even average defence Ottawa has improved its D.

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
I think some teams are too worried about getting nothing for a player.

If Chychrun wanted out then fine, but don't trade him just to trade him. They don't owe him anything.

Teams do this all the time. Sell extremely low just because a player wants out. f*** that shit. Tell him to put his big boy pants on and honour his contract.

You'll play for us until we find an acceptable offer or your contract ends.

All this trade has done is assure other teams Brady Tkachuk can be had on the cheap when he inevitably gets traded.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I'm surprised by these takes.

Jakob Chychrun is overrated and Jensen underrated. Like maybe Sens fans are disappointed they didn't get a big return for a higher profile player, but they're not going to miss him on the ice. He wasn't good.

I looked up their WAR ratings and it roughly confirms what I was thinking.

Jensen has been the better player. He's a bit over the hill but is still easily their 2nd best RD option. He'll be more useful than Chychrun was.

I think some teams are too worried about getting nothing for a player.

If Chychrun wanted out then fine, but don't trade him just to trade him. They don't owe him anything.

Teams do this all the time. Sell extremely low just because a player wants out. f*** that shit. Tell him to put his big boy pants on and honour his contract.

You'll play for us until we find an acceptable offer or your contract ends.

All this trade has done is assure other teams Brady Tkachuk can be had on the cheap when he inevitably gets traded.

I'd ordinarily agree with you, the issue in this case is that the Sens didn't want to keep Chychrun. This was more of a mutual parting ways.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Do you believe me now on Chychrun's value Sens fans? Chabot has even less. Sanderson is extremely valuable. The most valuable piece on the roster. Your other 2 lefties can't defend.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Addition by subtraction for the Sens.

They lost value wise over the course of the Chychrun saga, by an absolute pile. But not having him on the team moving forward is a huge plus.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
I find Chychrun so extremely overrated. I'm happy Sens got rid of him but seems like they coulda gotten a bit more of a return..but not much more

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Chychrun is among the most overrated players in the NHL. It was shocking how bad this guy was last season. Most people ripping this trade have probably never watched this guy for a 25-30 game stretch. He's not what you think he is.

Jensen is probably in decline, but I think he's a better roster fit for Ottawa. They desperately needed a RD that is passable in the defensive end.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Not a good trade. But if jensen can be a stable stay at home defenseman be is a better fit for ottawa than chychrun was.

That's not what Jensen is though. He's a PMD who plays smallish. He was actually a pretty slick passer and skater at his best - which is to say years ago.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad