Speculation: 2024-25 - Free Agency/Trade Thread

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
I wonder how much of the problem could be coaching and management? You have an abrasive coach, who never had answers in post game comments, a clearly clueless special teams approach, and a well documented skate you into the ground concept of training. I can’t imagine that’s terribly appealing to a star player in their mid-late career either.

It’s not going to be the primary reason, that’s the team has been horrible, and horrible teams always have to significantly outbid contenders or even average teams, but I do think it could be an element of what’s going on.

I’ve been saying this for over a year now.

Verbeeks biggest mistake was going with an unproven coach. Why didn’t he hire someone with experience? We all know Eakins wasn’t great, but Cronin is proving to be not much better

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho

Verbeeks biggest mistake was going with an unproven coach. Why didn’t he hire someone with experience? We all know Eakins wasn’t great, but Cronin is proving to be not much better
You may be right, but Eakins had 4 years to show his incompetence. Let's have this discussion again after this season.

Reactions: Hey234

KelVarnsen

May 2, 2010
Mission Viejo

Yeah….. I don’t think it was the best hire. He really puts off a clueless aura in a lot of his interviews. I’m sure he’s not clueless but damn, I wish he would portray some confidence at times.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
I think we're all making way too much out of the taxes. The rich hire accountants and attorneys that protect them from paying taxes on most of what they make.
Hockey players aren’t being paid with capital gains, and don’t have massive tax shelters and shell corporations to hide things.

Accountants don’t wave a wand and make taxes go away like that.

Reactions: DuckRogers10

Arthuros

Registered Snoozer
Feb 24, 2014
Littleroot Town

Might be why we didn't sign Jani
What? Are you telling me there's something weird going on with the Leafs and potentially career-ending injuries? Freaky.

Mind you, even I know that Simmons is a hack in the Leafs media space. I really doubt that TO didn't do their due diligence while we did and then passed. More likely that due diligence was done by both and TO signed Hakanpaa based on his merits as a player while we didn't.

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
There is a combo of many things that may make players sign elsewhere:

Ducks are a bottom 3 team and have been for a while
Longer travel
Taxes
Californias reputation, “Don’t California my Texas” and so forth
Abrasive coach who at times appears clueless
Lil Ball of Hate GM

Ducks don’t offer Perks other teams do
Apathetic fan base

Many of these reasons disappear if the team improves and starts wining. Players are mostly competitive monsters and Im guessing they don’t want to play in a losing atmosphere even if they’re earning millions. I firmly believe if the young guys improve the Ducks start winning, players will want to come here.

This is another thing I don’t get.

It’s been reported by many insiders that Verbeek is a shrewd negotiator. Why does he have to be like that? If I were a player, I would steer away.

Can’t wait for the Cronin the Cronie pressers.. mumbling his way through, throwing players under the bus passive aggressively, etc.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
This is another thing I don’t get.

It’s been reported by many insiders that Verbeek is a shrewd negotiator. Why does he have to be like that? If I were a player, I would steer away.

Can’t wait for the Cronin the Cronie pressers.. mumbling his way through, throwing players under the bus passive aggressively, etc.
Because the league has a salary cap and the owners are (currently) giving him a budget to work with

DaGeneral

Sponsor
Apr 15, 2012
This is true. Just as an example, I've lived in Anaheim for all but four of my 42 years, and I love lots of things about California. And I know this is going to make me sound like an old man, but A. I kind of am one and B. I don't care:

I can't take driving here any more. The rudeness, the lack of respect for other drivers, the dangerous behavior...it's awful. When my youngest graduates high school in four years, my wife and I are probably out. There are knuckleheads all over the place, but we take lots of road trips around the US (note that I have not been to the Northeast), and there's nothing like SoCal. It seems like it's a contest here to see how little consideration you can have for other cars on the road. I'm over it.

/getoffmylawn
/mylawnismostlydryweeds
Californians drive like elite level drivers compared to Texans. I was born and raised in SoCal, moved to Texas last year - drivers here are awful. They tailgate, drive incessantly fast, etc. my wife and I have always joke - if it’s a bad driving decision, assume that’s what will be made. There’s no courtesy pulling out of spots, no courtesy when merging into traffic etc. horrible

190Octane

Jun 28, 2002
Fullerton, CA
Californians drive like elite level drivers compared to Texans. I was born and raised in SoCal, moved to Texas last year - drivers here are awful. They tailgate, drive incessantly fast, etc. my wife and I have always joke - if it’s a bad driving decision, assume that’s what will be made. There’s no courtesy pulling out of spots, no courtesy when merging into traffic etc. horrible
You would think they have an extremely polite society based on what certain people say about places like Texas.

To be fair, if I lived in that heat and humidity I’d be in a shitty mood also.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Not surprising at all. The bottom line is McTavish, Carlsson, Mintyukov, Zegras, Terry, Gauthier, etc are going to have to show the league that we’re at least on the cusp of contention in order to really get guys to start coming here.

Killorn and Gudas signing here is even a little surprising in hindsight but glad they did

We’re gonna get our teeth kicked in this coming season most likely but I think 2025-2026 we could push for playoffs

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
I posted this in the former Duck thread but it sounds like it really needs to be here. Listen to Rico explain politely why UFAs aren't lining up to sign with crap teams...

Great professional.

I can’t imagine what Gibson must feel like. He must want to get the F out.

BTW who keeps bringing up the phrase ‘Buffalo of the West’? I feel like that might be true in the coming years if the organization doesn’t take steps to improve in all aspects

Reactions: Kalv and cheesymc

bracer028

Apr 18, 2018
I'm actually pleased to know that many NHL players care more about winning than money....perhaps more so than in other sports.
Hockey is a rich man's sport. I doubt many ghetto kids play hockey. With that said, at the minimum, if you were training in hockey, you were middle class.

Reactions: Beckett

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
This is true. Just as an example, I've lived in Anaheim for all but four of my 42 years, and I love lots of things about California. And I know this is going to make me sound like an old man, but A. I kind of am one and B. I don't care:

I can't take driving here any more. The rudeness, the lack of respect for other drivers, the dangerous behavior...it's awful. When my youngest graduates high school in four years, my wife and I are probably out. There are knuckleheads all over the place, but we take lots of road trips around the US (note that I have not been to the Northeast), and there's nothing like SoCal. It seems like it's a contest here to see how little consideration you can have for other cars on the road. I'm over it.

/getoffmylawn
/mylawnismostlydryweeds
there are awful drivers everywhere. i was in the bay area this past weekend and it was just as bad as here, if not worse

nothing compares to texas though. easily the worst drivers i've ever encountered anywhere in the US

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Only forwards left that somewhat resemble a top 6 forward are Sprong, JVR, Tyler Johnson, Roslovic, Hoffman, and Pacioretty. After these guys you're looking at guys like Okposo, Zadina, Wheeler, Clutterbuck, Kubalik, Pearson, and Barabanov

ohcomeonref

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 18, 2014
Alberta, Canada
Not surprising at all. The bottom line is McTavish, Carlsson, Mintyukov, Zegras, Terry, Gauthier, etc are going to have to show the league that we’re at least on the cusp of contention in order to really get guys to start coming here.

Killorn and Gudas signing here is even a little surprising in hindsight but glad they did

We’re gonna get our teeth kicked in this coming season most likely but I think 2025-2026 we could push for playoffs

It's scary that the winning culture has to emerge from within. Even with great players it doesn't always happen, Edmonton spun their tires for years. They literally needed a (potentially) top 5 player all-time to turn them around.

Reactions: Kalv

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad