Speculation: 2024-25 - Free Agency/Trade Thread

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Not to talk Angels... But I went from watching a lot of Baseball as a kid mid 90's. I ditched a lot of college classes because of Angels playoff games and Championship run and the seasons after. Then I dropped baseball completely after the Zach Greinke trade and then not resigning and then signing.. Hamilton and someone else back around 2012. I haven't watched an Angels baseball game since except sometime in the last 13 years or whatever. Every year during those 2010's... no pitching... need pitching... get no pitching. Over and over and over. Year after year. Its like an absolute "we don't intend to compete" mentality. I was over it. Still am. I hope the Dodgers win now because they just seem to be serious about being a sports franchise.

Yup. That was during the Dipoto days as GM. The Angels were above .500 four out of five years and went to the playoffs with Dipoto. We were lacking pitching talent in the pipeline and Dipoto tried to cover it up with an ace like Greinke while waiting for future pitching prospects to come. By not keeping Greinke and signing Hamilton, the Angels also lost a 1st round pick in signing Hamilton. That was the team's second consecutive lost 1st round pick due to signing a high priced FA, the first under Dipoto was Pujols. Both Pujols and Hamilton were Moreno's doing. Moreno doesn't like pitchers, which is why current GM Minisian went on an all pitching draft by drafting 20 pitchers will all of their draft picks.

Thankful the Ducks' owners are not that involved in Ducks' front office operations like the Angel's owner Moreno. The Ducks' pipeline is constantly being restocked to where they've been ranked in the top-10 in farm teams for what feels like 17 years, ever since GM Bob Murray took over from Burke. Take away that top-end scouting, then Anaheim would be in a far worse situation to where you'd want to watch from afar. Having a good to great farm team gives the national team hope, for sports with farm teams like NHL and MLB.

As for the Dodgers, they've had great drafts despite being in the playoffs all these years... kinda like the Ducks. This year, they got themselves the GOAT in Ohtani. I'll root for Ohtani with the Dodgers, but the Dodgers have a lot of assets in their system to continue to trade for more talent to prove to Ohtani they're all in with him (Ohtani deferred the bulk of his salary until after his contract ends with the Dodgers). Hopefully, the Ducks can be where the Dodgers are that we can trade some good assets in our pipeline for good to great NHL-level talents once we're in a playoff position.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
really shows how much we overvalue prospects. i remember savoie's name in discussions as the potential #1 pick in 22

even now, i'm shocked buffalo would deal him for such a little return but clearly they don't see him in their future plans

91Fedorov

John (Gibson) 3:16
Dec 30, 2013
I liked fedorov!
Ok, good. He's always been my favorite player.

This has potential for worst trade of decade. You don't give up a recent top 10 pick for a bottom 6 forward. Especially when the team you're dealing with is trying to move cap out.
This has the potential to be as bad as the Filip Forsberg trade. Wow!

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
really shows how much we overvalue prospects. i remember savoie's name in discussions as the potential #1 pick in 22

even now, i'm shocked buffalo would deal him for such a little return but clearly they don't see him in their future plans
Was he the prospect some Sabers fans said they wouldn't add to or deal 1 for 1 for Zegras?

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
I always thought Regenda was solid. He didn't do much that was eye-popping, but his line mates seemed to play better with him on the line. I hope he's able to make some noise this year.
I really like the guy, don’t get me wrong. I’m just pointing out that having an injury plagued year in the AHL isn’t the type of stuff that arbitrators look at and go “yeah, pay him more”.

Reactions: Vipers31

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
First Ottawa gives away Chychrun for nearly free and now Buffalo gives away Savoie for 4th liners. Those trades are so bad the owners should step in, fire the GM and veto the trade.

McLeod = big, fast, proven 3C and still young
Savoie = small soft offensive winger who has yet to prove he can produce in the NHL.

I think the issue here is more that people are name associating Savoie with an elite prospect, but for a top 10 pick two years out, he's not a surefire anything at this point. Even if he does wind up producing, it's possible he's one of those one dimensional 50-60 point guys who still aren't overly coveted.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
McLeod = big, fast, proven 3C and still young
Savoie = small soft offensive winger who has yet to prove he can produce in the NHL.

I think the issue here is more that people are name associating Savoie with an elite prospect, but for a top 10 pick two years out, he's not a surefire anything at this point. Even if he does wind up producing, it's possible he's one of those one dimensional 50-60 point guys who still aren't overly coveted.
Yep. I think there is still a great chance Edmonton "wins" this trade, but people cannot just look at offensive production/potential here. At the end of the day, Sabres improved their current roster decently (with a useful bottom 6 player)

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Barring any trades that would push someone down the depth chart, we still need one or two Dmen who can either fill the #7 role or provide a veteran presence in SD, depending on which young blueliners crack the lineup.

Gustav Lindstrom is still available and seems like an obvious candidate. Bortuzzo has been a solid, big body physical depth D for quite some time. Got some playoff action this past year. There are some younger somewhat intriguing names like Boquist and Addison but not necessarily seeing much more than potential Shattenkirk, Barrie, DeAngelo, Klingberg, Schultz types with them (all five of whom are still available as well fwiw which is hopefully nothing). Oliver Kylington, not sure what happened there, really came on two years ago and then seemingly cratered again, probably not a fit. Then there's a few other veteran LHD...Staal, Kneeordano, Tinordi, Goligoski, Scandella, Suter.

AHL guys, Brad Hunt is still a UFA, was second in AHL D scoring last year. Almost 300 games of NHL experience, west coast native. Dan Renouf, big body solid defender who was second among AHL D in plus minus. Has a pair of Calder Cup championships and a few NHL games under his belt.

Last edited:

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Spring Hill, Tennessee
I remember wanting savoie over Mintyukov…. Good reminder on why I shouldn’t freak out about not wanting Sennecke.
Lol I wanted Grigorenko over Lindholm (I also wanted Forsberg).
I thought McTavish was a bad pick compared to Hughes and Eklund.

Just learn to trust the scouts now. I didnt WANT Sennecke, but I have full confidence he will be a top like RW for the team for a decade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad