Salary Cap: Pens 2024 Summer Thread: "Thus, knocking us out of these superior numbers when we emerge! Mr. President, we must not allow a non-playoff bound gap!"

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Wasn't Kennedy rclaiming last summer the Pens were looking to trade for Tom Wilson? His takes are as good as his playing career was.

Lets just hope his takes are as on-target as his shots on goal used to be.

Yeah and if those guys don't have good years, you can't really move them for anything worthwhile. Even if they have short term like Smith, teams aren't exactly lining up to take them at full salary in a trade.

Mid players coming off of poor to mid years aren't a particularly attractive assets.

I think you're being a little generous, even. Players who, in a GOOD season, are fairly mediocre and lacking any kind of discernable specialization that would make them at least an asset in facets of the game that a team might need turning in a dook season are very near unmovable. But you maybe just hope that some GM out there is as dumb as our last few have been and is a really big fan of bland complimentary players on lucrative deals.

Good luck!

• Haha
Reactions: GilbertSeinfeld

Maninthebox87

Dec 5, 2014
PA
TK on the fan is just a guy you’d talk to at the bar over drinks who actually played in the NHL he isn’t an insider. He has some cool stories from time to time though.

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
Jarry to Utah for Vejmelka and whatever late picks needed to make it work

Smith, Pickering, 1st, 2nd to Toronto for Marner

Mantha for 4.6 mil for 4 years

O'Connor-Crosby-Marner
Bunting-Malkin-Rust
Mantha-Ponomarev-Rakell
Poolparty/Acciari-Eller-Puustinen

Re-sign POJ, then you got a little over a mill in space.

This will never happen.

Dillon would be a good fit with Letang too.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

O'Connor-Crosby-Marner
Bunting-Malkin-Rust
Mantha-Ponomarev-Rakell

This will never happen.

uh... what?

Reactions: Empoleon8771

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017

O'Connor-Crosby-Marner
Bunting-Malkin-Rust
Mantha-Ponomarev-Rakell

This will never happen.

You didn't get the memo apparently! WE'RE NOT trading high draft picks UNLESS it's to move up for even higher picks, ok?

And Mantha sucks.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
Tyler Kennedy on The Fan evidently saying the Penguins should and would be interested in Trouba?

What a take. That would maybe be the final straw for me.
Tyler Kennedy has been trying to position himself as an insider to some local outlets, and it is painfully obvious that he has no idea how hockey management works or have any contacts.

He was never a smart player and he might be even dumber as an analyst/pretend insider.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Thats more than we really need to do. Move out one of Smith or Jarry and there's all the cap space you could realistically spend available for a top 6 W, even an expensive one like Reinhart or Stamkos if you could somehow land them.

Eller and Acciari aren't going to hurt you if they're on the 4th line.

My fear is that Dubas WILL make a lot of cap space, but instead of landing one or two big fish, he's going to use that cap space to add a bunch of mid priced vets in UFA that block the likes of DOC, Puustinen, Ponomarev, Poulin, Gruden, Yager, Koivunen, St. Ivany.

If he does that, it would go counter to everything he has said so far this off-season.

I agree, that would suck balls. But he has stated time and again that he wants to get younger.

Eller hurts us because we have four young centers that we need to develop (properly), and as long as this head coach is still employed (hell, at this point he is more like the employer!), Eller will always play ahead of them no matter how they perform in the preseason, the regular season and beyond. You know it, I know it.

Acciari is just a guy who is one of those non-Sullivan performers for whatever reason. Good player elsewhere, the type you want on the fourth line. But a complete dud here. Again.

I would much rather have Poulin, Gruden and Puljujarvi on the fourth line than either of those two vets.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
If he does that, it would go counter to everything he has said so far this off-season.

I agree, that would suck balls. But he has stated time and again that he wants to get younger.

Eller hurts us because we have four young centers that we need to develop (properly), and as long as this head coach is still employed (hell, at this point he is more like the employer!), Eller will always play ahead of them no matter how they perform in the preseason, the regular season and beyond. You know it, I know it.

Acciari is just a guy who is one of those non-Sullivan performers for whatever reason. Good player elsewhere, the type you want on the fourth line. But a complete dud here. Again.

I would much rather have Poulin, Gruden and Puljujarvi on the fourth line than either of those two vets.

I'd be shocked!

Utah on the prowel for a top pairing dman. Wonder if we could get a pick and prospect for ol' EK?

Full NTC.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Utah on the prowel for a top pairing dman. Wonder if we could get a pick and prospect for ol' EK?
With his cap hit I doubt Utah would want to eat their cap space up like that. But the more obvious consideration is that EK goes only where EK wants to go. It'd likely have to be a sure fire contender and we'd have to retain like there's no tomorrow.

Maninthebox87

Dec 5, 2014
PA
The Utah Hockey Club has me a little confused as they are basically the Coyotes but is it assumed that the new ownership is willing to go all in and spend some money instead of going after coyotes legends like Datsyuk, Pronger, and Hossa?

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
The Utah Hockey Club has me a little confused as they are basically the Coyotes but is it assumed that the new ownership is willing to go all in and spend some money instead of going after coyotes legends like Datsyuk, Pronger, and Hossa?
Yeah, the new owner has substantially deeper pockets and wants to make a splash in the first season in Utah.

Reactions: Maninthebox87

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Here's a trade proposal that I'd be curious for insight on: Rakell to Detroit for Andrew Copp. Copp is absolutely expensive for what he brings, but I'd rather have a physical 3C that will give you 35-40 points a year over a floaty RW that will give you 40-50 points a year.

Reactions: SEALBound

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad