Salary Cap: Pens 2024 Summer Thread: "Thus, knocking us out of these superior numbers when we emerge! Mr. President, we must not allow a non-playoff bound gap!"

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Lack of net front presence, there was a moment when Puustinen was put on the powerplay where it was converting at their best rate because there was movement and Puustinen would go to the slot area, Jake used to but seemed to stay out of that area consistently, so you have a bunch of Pens casuals on the PP just doing their pass pass, shoot an unscreened goalie shtick and they finally add a lad that just rips it when he sees a chance or he will make a quick pass and quickly get into another scoring area which forces the PK to move.

Whereas before, the PK knew where the Pens shots were coming from and would just collapse on it the moment they shot the puck because they knew no one was going to give them issues in front.

So I mean of course, Sullivan later abandoned it to put Rust and Rakell back on it the moment they were healthy.

Look at how it jumped up for PP% per month:

October - Ranked 21st
November - Ranked 29th
December (Puustinen is called up Dec 8-31st) - Ranked 14th
January (Rust is back) - Ranked 25th.

The next time they rose above 20th was in February, at 18th.

Net front will help for sure. Although I don’t think Bunting helped statistically although more time here will help (he’s got the skill set for it) BUT
to be 4th in HD chances but 28th in HD goals is more than net front.

Here’s the area. Ignore the percentages on the photo that’s the percentage of where shots are taken league wide.

IMG_9928.jpeg

MayorofWBS

Apr 14, 2015
Mars
@Honour Over Glory, I think you could potentially get a 1st for MP28 at the deadline if you retain 50%.

At the draft, I don't see it.
IMHO, a retention spot should be reserved for Petts this year (whether it happens at the TDL or this offseaon). I don't think he would be moved until the TDL but you never know. Max his return by be taking on 50%.

Personally, I think we should do the same thing with Reilly Smith if they move him this offseaon. Retain on him and get the better return without taking on a contract. Maybe they can move him on a one to one swap of NHLers but I think we'd end up with having to take someone else's crap with longer term. I don't want to do that and rather keep Smith until the TDL and move him then with retention then get stuck with another broken toy NHLer for 2 or more years because we where in a hurry to get rid him now.

Reactions: Gurglesons

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I hope they shop Jarry in this goalie market because the market seems really dry and teams need goalies, but at the same time, I hope Dubas doesn't force anything just for the sake of trading him. They should be trying to move him to recover some assets, they shouldn't move him if they can't do that.

At the same time, "recovering assets" for Jarry doesn't necessarily have to be "trading Jarry for draft picks". You can trade Jarry for say a skater (such as Matthew Joseph from Ottawa) and then flip that skater for futures down the line. They just shouldn't trade Jarry for some shit-tier return just for the sake of moving him.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
Take this with a huge chunk of salt of course but someone on the main boards said they heard this deal is being worked out:

Ullmark and Lauko to OTT
Chychrun + 25 to BOS
Korpisalo to PHI

With more pieces they dont know about and a 5x7m extension for Ullmark.
Friedman said that Toronto is gonna go after Broissiot/Stolarz in FA.

So that pretty much leaves Detroit for Jarry

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Take this with a huge chunk of salt of course but someone on the main boards said they heard this deal is being worked out:

Ullmark and Lauko to OTT
Chychrun + 25 to BOS
Korpisalo to PHI

I don't see any reason why Philly would do that. They already have Fedutov and Ersson in net, why would they trade for Korpisalo's deal?

Reactions: Darren McCord

GilbertSeinfeld

Mar 4, 2024
Yea, that trade seems like crap for Philly.

I'm all for it if it hurts them, just not sure what it does for them, unless they think he's more like the Kings version, and less the Ottawa version.

Reactions: Darren McCord

MayorofWBS

Apr 14, 2015
Mars

Ullmark and Lauko to OTT
Chychrun + 25 to BOS
Korpisalo to PHI

Why would PHI take on Korpisalo's crappy longer term contract? It's too long even if you're getting paid off to take it.

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Ullmark and Lauko to OTT
Chychrun + 25 to BOS
Korpisalo to PHI

Bruins need another Dman?

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Chris Johnson on his podcast today said the Pens will "certainly try to trade Jarry." and they didn't sign Ned to keep Jarry.

Reactions: Turin

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I don't see any reason why Philly would do that. They already have Fedutov and Ersson in net, why would they trade for Korpisalo's deal?

+ Cal Petersen.

I hope they shop Jarry in this goalie market because the market seems really dry and teams need goalies, but at the same time, I hope Dubas doesn't force anything just for the sake of trading him. They should be trying to move him to recover some assets, they shouldn't move him if they can't do that.

At the same time, "recovering assets" for Jarry doesn't necessarily have to be "trading Jarry for draft picks". You can trade Jarry for say a skater (such as Matthew Joseph from Ottawa) and then flip that skater for futures down the line. They just shouldn't trade Jarry for some shit-tier return just for the sake of moving him.

Yes they should. They get out of his cap and term. That allows them to be bigger players in season / deadline / etc.

Reactions: Empoleon8771

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I'll be dying to see your reaction later this season.

Half of the teams in the league don't make the playoffs and it's clear we are a bubble team. Everyone here knows that.

The perk of being a die-hard agenda-driven pessimist is that you get to revel in your "I-told-you-so-ness" if they are bad, and you get to enjoy success if they are good. So, you get to enjoy "both sides", but honestly, it's a coward's way out.

And it's not a short off-season. Every single teams gets the exact same amount of time and believe it or not, teams are allowed to "work" regardless of hockey being played. So it's not like 32 teams aren't actively planning for the draft, free agency, and talking to agents about extensions. There's just two teams that are worried about an extra game. So don't give me this "durr, adjust expectations because the SCF went 7 games" garbage. That's a load of bullshit and you know it.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Nah. They gotta convince Sid to allow us to trade him to be honest.

If this is the route the Penguins are taking they need to get Sid out of here as quickly as possible.
I wish, we'd get great return. That would really jump start the rebuild in epic fashion.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
Half of the teams in the league don't make the playoffs and it's clear we are a bubble team. Everyone here knows that.

The perk of being a die-hard agenda-driven pessimist is that you get to revel in your "I-told-you-so-ness" if they are bad, and you get to enjoy success if they are good. So, you get to enjoy "both sides", but honestly, it's a coward's way out.

And it's not a short off-season. Every single teams gets the exact same amount of time and believe it or not, teams are allowed to "work" regardless of hockey being played. So it's not like 32 teams aren't actively planning for the draft, free agency, and talking to agents about extensions. There's just two teams that are worried about an extra game. So don't give me this "durr, adjust expectations because the SCF went 7 games" garbage. That's a load of bullshit and you know it.

I admit when I’m wrong all the time. Try it some time.

I wish, we'd get great return. That would really jump start the rebuild in epic fashion.

If we aren’t going to even try to better this team, wouldn’t be surprised if he walks. July 1st will tell us a lot. If he isn’t instantly signed, it’ll say something.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Smith scored more than Mangiapane last season no?

You are also counting on all those teams also not improving.
The same. But AM also got more dzone deployment. Smith was also just an unhappy/bad fit who I'd happily switch out for Mang.

I'm not really counting on anything. I just think a few tweaks could make a difference in a game of inches. All those other teams have their own sets of warts, and we still have Crosby.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
The same. But AM also got more dzone deployment. Smith was also just an unhappy/bad fit who I'd happily switch out for Mang.

I'm not really counting on anything. I just think a few tweaks could make a difference in a game of inches. All those other teams have their own sets of warts, and we still have Crosby.

The days of “still have Crosby” mean less and less each year.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
It's still good for fan service. Sid is the only thing we got going for us

Gurgs putting his negotiating pants on while we all plead:

Crosby is a dying star. A white dwarf heading for a blackhole. That's physics. It's inevitable.

What’s the fan service at this point?

Watch Crosby age out on a shit team?

Sorry. Move him if they are just going to sit on their hands and run it back.

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis
What’s the fan service at this point?

Watch Crosby age out on a shit team?

Sorry. Move him if they are just going to sit on their hands and run it back.
They gotta put someone up on the huge banner outside the arena.

We gonna put Fata up there?

I dunno man. I'm mostly just f***ing around. Yet, they gotta market something. And trotting corpses out has been a sports staple.

The same 12k people will keep buying their season tickets so they don't fall off the list. And the random dudes and families that they will re-sell their tickets to all year, don't know what icing is. So it works out. Money into FSG pockets. They don't care. They'll luck into some picks and playoffs again in five years and that'll hook a new generation of fans.

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain

Exactly. But mostly because we need every last asset to help land Ullmark. :sarcasm:

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
They gotta put someone up on the huge banner outside the arena.

We gonna put Fata up there?

I dunno man. I'm mostly just f***ing around. Yet, they gotta market something. And trotting corpses out has been a sports staple.

The same 12k people will keep buying their season tickets so they don't fall off the list. And the random dudes and families that they will re-sell their tickets to all year, don't know what icing is. So it works out. Money into FSG pockets. They don't care. They'll luck into some picks and playoffs again in five years and that'll hook a new generation of fans.

I think at this point the fans who are going to buy tickets now are going to buy tickets when Sid’s gone,

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I think at this point the fans who are going to buy tickets now are going to buy tickets when Sid’s gone,
I don't agree with that at all.

And most certainly the ORG would receive significant backlash and criticism if they did. Remember, image to this outfit is of the utmost importance. So, While Crosby from the perspective of bettering the team long term should be traded for a kings ransom, we both know it isn't going to happen.

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
I’m one of the ones enjoying watching my favorite player of all time finish up his career and seeing where he can wind up in all time points. He won us 3 cups. If he wants to ride it out with Geno and Letang while the team tries to add whatever they can, youth wise, to those guys, I’m fine with it.

The absolute bottom is coming and I’m not so hard up that I need to see a complete scorched earth. It’s much easier to just chill, haha.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad