LeBrun: Juuse Saros to sign 8 year extension worth 7.74 M AAV

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

GigaChad

Oct 9, 2013
One meh year and people are against this deal?
.917% regular season save % even after this down year and .911% in the playoffs.
He has never had a under .914% season in the NHL before this year.

Goalies age like wine usually, just ask Rinne & Bob or many others.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Saros is just 29yrs old. Rinne retired at 38, this would take Saros to just 36-37yrs old. I think it feels like Saros has been in the league forever, which he has, since he was 20yrs old to now he's been a regular for 9 seasons.

& the money definitely isn’t bad

Bob won the Cup making 10M and that contract was signed years ago, Shest will be getting helluva lot more than this on his next deal as well

7 will be average starter money during Saros contract

I just can’t understand Nashvilles way of trying to build a team one bit

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
In before Askarov trade request
Why? If anything the Preds would be wise to keep Askarov and lighten the workload for Saros. He's played 60+ games 3 seasons in a row, bringing that down to 50-60 still gets Askarov 20+ games next season and more if he plays better.

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
& the money definitely isn’t bad

Bob won the Cup making 10M and that contract was signed years ago, Shest will be getting helluva lot more than this on his next deal as well

7 will be average starter money during Saros contract

I just can’t understand Nashvilles way of trying to build a team one bit
Vaselevskiy won his cups after he signed his for a 9.5m/yr cap hit. His 1st year in that contract was his cup win and then again the next year.

At the end of the deal, he'll have played 1 season more than Rinne and even then, Saros could play a few more years if he wanted and was still competitive.

Reactions: BB88

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Vaselevskiy won his cups after he signed his for a 9.5m/yr cap hit. His 1st year in that contract was his cup win and then again the next year.

At the end of the deal, he'll have played 1 season more than Rinne and even then, Saros could play a few more years if he wanted and was still competitive.

Yeah there’s going to be plenty of worse contracts given than this within a week

About impossible to sign elite talent for less money than this yet people will have an issue with the cap hit..

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
Yeah there’s going to be plenty of worse contracts given than this within a week

About impossible to sign elite talent for less money than this yet people will have an issue with the cap hit..
We haven't even seen the potential contract Staios might throw at Ullmark, so yeah things could get real chaotic in in a week or so.

Wise to keep a player that could and probably will head back to Russia?
I guess then it doesn't matter if he stays or if he goes. If he goes and decides to come back after a year, they hold his rights, if he stays, he plays and has 1yr left on his ELC. He's stayed so far.

Reactions: BB88

Cinderblox

Hug it out everyone!
Jan 4, 2016
Lahti

Rinne tho had more size than Saros (about 15cm taller) so he had that advantage when he got slower with age. We'll see that when he ages.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Rocket surgery...? Don't you mean science...rocket science..:laugh:
You've never heard that expression before? Combines rocket science and brain surgery.

Not a fan of this deal. Term is about 4 years too long. Side note...I still don't think they trade Askorov for several years if at all.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Seems like Preds fans are happy which is good. This is a Preds retirement contract. No one is going to trade for that in 3-4 years.
No we aren't. There's like 1 maybe 2 people that think it's good.

The problem isn't the cap hit, the problem is we had zero business locking one in for that term. There were lots of options available that didn't require us handing a retirement contract to a goalie.

For all his blustering and yammering Trotz is just Poile's mini me.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
You've never heard that expression before? Combines rocket science and brain surgery.

Not a fan of this deal. Term is about 4 years too long. Side note...I still don't think they trade Askorov for several years if at all.
He won't right now, but will when Askarov gets tired of being the backup or sitting in Milwaukee and threatens to go back to Russia.

Reactions: vtdevils2k

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
We haven't even seen the potential contract Staios might throw at Ullmark, so yeah things could get real chaotic in in a week or so.

I guess then it doesn't matter if he stays or if he goes. If he goes and decides to come back after a year, they hold his rights, if he stays, he plays and has 1yr left on his ELC. He's stayed so far.
Terrible way to do business. If he worth more as a backup for a few years or more in trade now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad