Salary Cap: Pens 2024 Summer Thread: "Thus, knocking us out of these superior numbers when we emerge! Mr. President, we must not allow a non-playoff bound gap!"

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Nah Crosby is re-signing the second it turns to July 1st, without a doubt.

It's not up to you to decide if other people think you're throwing a hissy fit lmao

You can have whatever opinions you want, but everyone else can also have the opinion you're going completely unhinged for freaking out that they didn't trade for Ty Dellandrea's 2 goals last season or didn't take on that albatross PLD contract before the cup has even been awarded.

This isn't even "have faith in Dubas and be patient", it's "freaking out about them not bringing in some shitty players before the cup has even been awarded is silly".

I'm not freaking out. I'm typing on a hockey board.

Is you posting 20 times about Tristan Jarry's trade value "freaking out"?

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
We all know what the plan is. It’s just the execution then more importantly if the moves worked.

I don’t have any anxiety about when things are done but you’d expect some things to be done in the next week.

I’m at the point where I’m almost unemotional about if we make playoffs or not. I just wanna watch Sid and some young players.

I don't really have any anxiety about this team.

I know Kyle Dubas is a continous failure and have very little faith after watching what he's done up to this point that he'll suddenly pull a rabbit out of his hat.

But apparently I'm having a panic attack and can't breath because I typed that on a hockey forum.

Lol whatever helps you sleep at night I guess

I'm talking about the salary cap and the Penguins on a message board. Nothing about this team "makes me freak out". It's a sport and it means nothing in the overall path of my life. I'm at work and wasting time talking about one of my hobbies and how I feel about our current path.

Bizarre amount.

Reactions: Darren McCord

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
Sid won’t re-sign on July 1st, members of this board will meltdown and say how he isn’t re-signing and then he’ll re-sign on like July 17th or something. Calling this now.

I put Sid at not signing probably like at a 5% chance of happening.

I don't think it'll happen, but the whole comments about keeping it private it are super odd.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
I cannot get behind the idea that getting younger HURTS our playoff chances. Sorry. The Capitals have been getting younger for a few seasons now, and they made the playoffs last year. I still have no idea how, but you know what? They never ask how you did it, just whether or not you did it.

For THIS team, we need youth. We simply cannot ask our old core to carry the offense anymore. Injecting Erik Karsson into the core was not enough. The bottom six needs young, fresh legs. The roster needs players with upside. Players who might be one thing today, and perhaps something different (better) by the end of the season.

This team caught a spark late last season. For whatever reason. It is everybody's job to figure out why, and how we can build upon that.

So, I will remain positive until Dubas gives me a reason to get off the train. If he signs more Matt Nieto's, Vinnie Hinostroza's and Jansen Harkins-types, I am done.

However, if he acquires that sniper we need for the PP and the top 6 (regardless of age), and adds more future assets by moving out Smith, Jarry (at least) et al, then I will be even more encouraged. I also want to hear something about Yager A S A P.

A lot of people believe you can ONLY do one of two things: go for it or rebuild.

Pro sports, like life, is a lot less black and white.
Age is only relevant when players underperform relative to cap hit because of it. If those old guys are getting paid more than they merit, that's on the GM.

Bringing in someone young is not improvement by default. We saw that with Harkins. He was not better than 38 y/o Carter or 35 y/o Eller. Issue was the cap hits.

We need a talented youth movement, not just a youth movement. Puustinen is the right idea.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
"The Leafs are going to make major changes this off-season, their latest playoff failure is unacceptable"

-Re-signs Marner on July 1st and Tavares later in the season

"The Leafs are targetting a high profile goalie and will get the best goalie possible"

-Re-signs Woll for an overpriced deal and signs Brossoit or Stolarz on an overpriced deal on July 1st

Perpetual loser franchise :laugh:

Reactions: BusinessGoose

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
It's funny reading Leafs fans anointing Woll a great goalie after 40 games. I remember Patrick Lalime's first 40, well 39, games.

I think Woll will be good. Maybe their cap situation in 2 years time gets worse and are gambling on saving 1 million or so if he has a great year 🤷

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
"The Leafs are going to make major changes this off-season, their latest playoff failure is unacceptable"

-Re-signs Marner on July 1st and Tavares later in the season

"The Leafs are targetting a high profile goalie and will get the best goalie possible"

-Re-signs Woll for an overpriced deal and signs Brossoit or Stolarz on an overpriced deal on July 1st

Perpetual loser franchise :laugh:

Woah dude. Quit freaking out!!!!!

• Haha
Reactions: Tom Hanks

Goodleaf

Love a good stick.
Nov 15, 2010
It's funny reading Leafs fans anointing Woll a great goalie after 40 games. I remember Patrick Lalime's first 40, well 39, games.
That was such a bizarre scenario. Lalime comes up from the Jacks, plays well, and then doesnt play in the NHL for another 2 years. Did he hold out for money, or was he just stuck behind Barrasso and Wregget?

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Based on pretty much nothing, my hunch is that Jarry gets moved to Ottawa for Forsberg and Joseph. The only way the deal doesn't make sense on paper is with Ottawa paying $9.4 million for a Jarry-Korpisalo tandem, but that's going to be true with Ottawa regardless of whether they trade for Jarry or Ullmark (the other guy linked to them). They just have to eat that Korpisalo deal or buy him out.

Assuming they figure out Korpisalo's situation, I still think that deal makes a lot of sense for both sides. It has Ottawa not giving up much value to get a clear goalie upgrade, while Joseph is a really nice bottom-6 addition for the Penguins that Ottawa is allegedly looking to move. Forsberg is a 1 year stopgap for Blomqvist that you can easily waive and stash in WBS if he stinks. The cap swap is basically neutral, I think it has the Penguins adding like $400k in cap.

Reactions: SEALBound

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I'm not impressed at all by this line of thinking.

It's lazy and nobody trades fringe prospects for good prospects.

Dubas will get props from me if he somehow pulls off this method. I just don't see it and nothing about his moves so far this summer makes me believe he's actually going to be focused on that.
It's not lazy, you're just not realistic in your expectations. The cup hasn't even been award yet, the draft hasn't happened and free agency isn't until next week and you're already giving up. lol

Like I done said, you're not a serious person.

The more I think about it, the more I'm comin to the conclusion that you're just trolling us all. lol

This can't be a serious manner by which to exchange opinions and ideas. lol

Every shred of evidence points to Crosby signing at some point this summer.

Some people just need to create their own narrative to be unhappy.
Sid will re sign.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
It's not lazy, you're just not realistic in your expectations. The cup hasn't even been award yet, the draft hasn't happened and free agency isn't until next week and you're already giving up. lol

Like I done said, you're not a serious person.

The more I think about it, the more I'm comin to the conclusion that you're just trolling us all. lol

This can't be a serious manner by which to exchange opinions and ideas. lol

Sid will re sign.

Sorry, I don’t care what you think.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Sorry, I don’t care what you think.
You're like a prop here. Your role is to stir the pot and talk about matters and in a line of thinking that has no basis in reality. You're criticizing a GM regarding his lack of doing much this summer when summer is literally only a few days old. lol

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
Nobody is denying that Crosby likely signs with PIT.
You, earlier in this thread:

If we aren’t going to even try to better this team, wouldn’t be surprised if he walks. July 1st will tell us a lot. If he isn’t instantly signed, it’ll say something.
He's not walking, period. And to suggest that if he's not signed the minute free agency opens on July means anything at all is just hyperbolic. Whether it's done July 1, August 7, or just before the season starts doesn't matter.

Reactions: Ryder71

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Mangipane-Crosby-Rust
Bunting-Malkin-Rakell
O'Connor-XXXXX-Smith
Joseph-Eller-Puustinen
Acciari-Puljujarvi

Pettersson-Karlsson
POJ-Letang
Graves-St. Ivany
Kral

Nedjelkovic-Forsberg

You'd have $3.2 million to fill that 3C spot with this lineup. This is just with doing Jarry to Ottawa for Joseph and Forsberg and Poulin to Calgary for Mangiapane.

You could also just throw Ponomarev in that 3C role or make Eller the 3C and Ponomarev the 4C in this setup. I think an O'Connor-Smith and Joseph-Puustinen winger duos in the bottom-6 are very good, to the point where you could probably be okay without getting a legit 3C there. I'd probably run with O'Connor-Ponomarev-Smith to start, I think that may make more sense than signing another Eller type of bottom-6 center for $2.5 million that blocks Ponomarev.

Then if/when the Penguins are out of playoff contention by the deadline, you'll have 4 rental chips worth trading (Mangiapane, Smith, Eller and Pettersson) that likely give you decent to good value back.

Ulf5

Feb 21, 2017
That was such a bizarre scenario. Lalime comes up from the Jacks, plays well, and then doesnt play in the NHL for another 2 years. Did he hold out for money, or was he just stuck behind Barrasso and Wregget?
IIRC Barrasso missed most of Lalime's first season due to an early season injury. Then Lalime was 3rd on depth chart then traded?

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
You, earlier in this thread:

He's not walking, period. And to suggest that if he's not signed the minute free agency opens on July means anything at all is just hyperbolic. Whether it's done July 1, August 7, or just before the season starts doesn't matter.

Likely not.

Less strange things have happened. Acting like Crosby is forever a Penguin no questions asked after how badly the last two years have been fumbled is unrealistic.

Crosby will likely sign on July 1st. If he does not, the media will be questioning it as they should.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I cannot get behind the idea that getting younger HURTS our playoff chances. Sorry. The Capitals have been getting younger for a few seasons now, and they made the playoffs last year. I still have no idea how, but you know what? They never ask how you did it, just whether or not you did it.

For THIS team, we need youth. We simply cannot ask our old core to carry the offense anymore. Injecting Erik Karsson into the core was not enough. The bottom six needs young, fresh legs. The roster needs players with upside. Players who might be one thing today, and perhaps something different (better) by the end of the season.

This team caught a spark late last season. For whatever reason. It is everybody's job to figure out why, and how we can build upon that.

So, I will remain positive until Dubas gives me a reason to get off the train. If he signs more Matt Nieto's, Vinnie Hinostroza's and Jansen Harkins-types, I am done.

However, if he acquires that sniper we need for the PP and the top 6 (regardless of age), and adds more future assets by moving out Smith, Jarry (at least) et al, then I will be even more encouraged. I also want to hear something about Yager A S A P.

A lot of people believe you can ONLY do one of two things: go for it or rebuild.

Pro sports, like life, is a lot less black and white.
I think what we've seen is that the good cup contenders have a good balance. While Edmonton has McDavid and that's all they really need, they have Skinner, Bouchard, Holloway, and Broberg all playing roles. Dallas has Roberston, Stankoven, Hintz, etc all being impact players in addition to a solid core of Pavs, Benn, and Seguin. Flordia is a bit different in that they have a bunch of solid players all at that 26-28yo range playing well. We were certainly the poster child for that in 2016 with Sheary, Murray, Rust, and Kuhnhackl. We've just...gotten away from that. And the young kids grew up and all wanted money.

I agree, though (maybe less about Hino); if we see MOER Nietos and Harkins brought in...f*** it. The season is what it is. The last two years, I went in with the expectation that they make the playoffs or rather, they COULD make the playoffs. If they go right f***ing back to the same shit, then playoffs is no longer the expectation. Then, whatever happens, happens. My hope then becomes that Dubas just collects assets as the season wears on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad