Salary Cap: Pens 2024 Summer Thread: "Thus, knocking us out of these superior numbers when we emerge! Mr. President, we must not allow a non-playoff bound gap!"

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
It's quite humorous to me that your pie in the sky expectations aren't called out more. You're just not a serious person.

I don't have any expectations much like I didn't last year.

I have no faith in our management or GM to be able to stick to one path and I imagine in 3-4 years we are pretty much in the same exact position as we are today only with a 40 year old Crosby getting ready to retire.

Reactions: molon labe

Ulf5

Feb 21, 2017
Except Smith can submit a new list on July 1. So if he doesn't want to be traded, he and his agent can make the list be all of the likely teams who would acquire him.

Smarter to trade him now, with his previous list locked in.
I fully expect a move or two before the draft to get more picks.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I didn't. I made a statement about how the Penguins are likely going to be at the bottom of the metro because they likely aren't making any big changes this summer.

You seem to be agreeing with that mindset.

Yet here you are arguing like a fool.
We're not arguing the same thing though. I just wanna accrue high picks and develop prospects. And I do see changes coming actually. You on the other hand aren't in line with that methodology. You don't have faith in the front office, I on the other hand do. So, while neither of us may have expectations for this upcoming season, I do have expectations that in 3 to 5 years we'll get off the mat and be relevant again.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
We're not arguing the same thing though. I just wanna accrue high picks and develop prospects. You on the other hand aren't in line with that methodology. You don't have faith in the front office, I on the other hand do. So, while neither of us may have expectations for this upcoming season, I do have expectations that in 3 to 5 years we'll get off the mat and be relevant again.

What makes you think that?

I'm 100% fine with us doing that if that is the route we actually take.

If I was Dubas and that's the way I see this team, I would be moving Erik Karlsson at 50% for picks and prospects this summer.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
We're not arguing the same thing though. I just wanna accrue high picks and develop prospects. And I do see changes coming actually. You on the other hand aren't in line with that methodology. You don't have faith in the front office, I on the other hand do. So, while neither of us may have expectations for this upcoming season, I do have expectations that in 3 to 5 years we'll get off the mat and be relevant again.
You can want that until you’re blue in the face but it’s not happening. This team is not going in full rebuild mode until, at the earliest, Sid retires.

You might as well wish for something more realistic like Harkins turning into a not terrible player after he signs his extension.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
What makes you think that?

I'm 100% fine with us doing that if that is the route we actually take.

If I was Dubas and that's the way I see this team, I would be moving Erik Karlsson at 50% for picks and prospects this summer.
If someone would take him, sure. I'd move ANYBODY on this roster for the right price with no exceptions.

Kyles priority is to get younger, accrue picks and prospects and extract value in trades when and where he can. If that means we're cellar dwellers fine by me.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
If someone would take him, sure. I'd move ANYBODY on this roster for the right price with no exceptions.

Kyles priority is to get younger, accrue picks and prospects and extract value in trades when and where he can. If that means we're cellar dwellers fine by me.

I agree. If that's the route they want to take is "the window is over". Then sell everything and rebuild.

It's obvious they aren't going to do that though. Which is why I gave Dubas so much shit about the Guentzel trade. That trade was made with the idea we can just quickly retool.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
You can want that until you’re blue in the face but it’s not happening. This team is not going in full rebuild mode until, at the earliest, Sid retires.
Well, we haven't made the playoffs in two successive seasons, since KD took over we traded Jake and picked up three prospects of varying skill and a mid 2hd rounder. We're in a rebuild. You can call it whatever you want but the mandate is to get younger and accrue young assets. He tried with EK it didn't work, so now he's going to build through the draft and trade off older players for young players, picks or prospects.

It's obvious they aren't going to do that though. Which is why I gave Dubas so much shit about the Guentzel trade. That trade was made with the idea we can just quickly retool.
No it wasn't.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Those prospects will either be in the NHL this year or next or busts.
Not necessarily. Koivunen will likely need a year. Cruz may not be much of anything. Pono will very likely be a fixture here this coming season. Not sure where you're going with this. But these types of players can be relevant 3-5 years from now, which should be the primary objective.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
Not necessarily. Koivunen will likely need a year. Cruz may not be much of anything. Pono will very likely be a fixture here this coming season. Not sure where you're going with this. But these types of players can be relevant 3-5 years from now, which should be the primary objective.

In 3-5 years we will just be getting to the point where we can rebuild if they continue the current method of what they are doing.

As you insinuate Ponomarev, Koivunen, and Lucius will all be 25-27 then.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
The offseason is pretty much here. That is why you are seeing multiple huge trades.

The Penguins have very little trade assets to offer at the draft. Potentially we could move players at the draft for picks, but I doubt anyone views any of our contracts outside of Marcus Pettersson worth a draft pick.

People said be patient last year. We did nothing outside of signing UFAs.

It's cope. This management group views this team as toast, but they aren't willing to put the final touches on getting us to where we need to be.

Kind of hilarious though. We've hired Kyle Dubas as GM to turn us into a typical Canadian team that won't commit to either route.
There have been trades, but traditionally the biggest days of the offseason in terms of player movement are the draft and UFA, and neither have happened yet.

The Pens aren't going to be at the top of the league. But a couple more playoff appearances for Sid and Co. would be nice, if they can make the right tweaks. You never know.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
There have been trades, but traditionally the biggest days of the offseason in terms of player movement are the draft and UFA, and neither have happened yet.

The Pens aren't going to be at the top of the league. But a couple more playoff appearances for Sid and Co. would be nice, if they can make the right tweaks. You never know.

What tweaks do you think we are going to make that will make us competitive with New Jersey, Washington, Columbus, Buffalo, NYI and Ottawa for one of the final spots?

If we were making those types of tweaks, I imagine we would've heard our name in the PLD conversation. We weren't. Dubas thinks this team is toast.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
In 3-5 years we will just be getting to the point where we can rebuild if they continue the current method of what they are doing.

As you insinuate Ponomarev, Koivunen, and Lucius will all be 25-27 then.
We also have Yager (if he signs) Ilyin (who might be something), Murashov, Broz, Blomqvist and Pickering. If half of those guys end up being NHLers in addition to the picks we'll have over the next three years we'll have a basis for optimism.

To act as if we're not rebuilding now is silly. We're just doing it in a manner by which we're pacifying the STH's as well as the core.

You move guys like Jarry, Smith and or MP you can accrue some quality pieces back. We're not starting the rebuild 3-5 years from now, it's already begun. starting this off season or next it'll be accelerated.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
We also have Yager (if he signs) Ilyin (who might be something), Murashov, Broz, Blomqvist and Pickering. If half of those guys end up being NHLers in addition to the picks we'll have over the next three years we'll have a basis for optimism.

To act as if we're not rebuilding now is silly. We're just doing it in a manner by which we're pacifying the STH's as well as the core.

You move guys like Jarry, Smith and or MP you can accrue some quality pieces back. We're not starting the rebuild 3-5 years from now, it's already begun. starting this off season or next it'll be accelerated.

Yeah, that is my issue. They aren't rebuilding. They are focused on pretending we are competitive while not focusing on rebuilding which is why we end up with horrible value in trades like the Guentzel return.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Yeah, that is my issue. They aren't rebuilding. They are focused on pretending we are competitive while not focusing on rebuilding which is why we end up with horrible value in trades like the Guentzel return.
Agree to disagree, Kyle did fantastic. CAR got nothing but a failed rental. You're just delusional and acting in an unscrupulous manner with no redeeming qualities

#badastheycome.

Last edited:

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I'll be dying to see your reaction later this season.
As long as Kyle is gathering up picks, young players and prospects and extracting good value in trades while retaining our current draft capital all is well.

If say he trades a 1st rounder at any point in the next four years (unless it's to move up) I'll be livid. Short of that or getting caved in value wise in a trade, I feel the love!

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
any team, no matter how bad is going to tell you "They want to make the playoffs."
Apparently some here can't see the forest through the trees. Why would someone wanna buy tickets if the brain trust reveals they've given up on making the post season? You also gotta convince Sid with that narrative.

Reactions: The Old Master

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
Apparently some here can't see the forest through the trees. Why would someone wanna buy tickets if the brain trust reveals they've given up on making the post season? You also gotta convince Sid with that narrative.

Nah. They gotta convince Sid to allow us to trade him to be honest.

If this is the route the Penguins are taking they need to get Sid out of here as quickly as possible.

• Haha
Reactions: Factorial

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad