Salary Cap: Pens 2024 Summer Thread: "Thus, knocking us out of these superior numbers when we emerge! Mr. President, we must not allow a non-playoff bound gap!"

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
I just get a kick out of the usage that is there and plain to see and you lot, well more than I thought and it's shocking really, that still think the roster is the issue and Sullivan can be fixed don't see it.

I mean lets look at the Dallas Stars usage - Crosby and Malkin are pulling more ice time than blokes like Robertson, Hintz, and Johnston. These are young lads that are elite players in this league. Crosby is 36 going on 37 and Malkin is 37 going on 38. Sullivan plays the bottom 6 so few minutes in comparison to most teams, he essentially burns out his top 6 and relies on Crosby and his power from Pb & Jam sammies to guide this team. This has been a problem for a while.

Also utilizing L2 as a placeholder line, running L3 and L4 as two L4's that have no identity other than to just play D, sort of, then get chastised for not scoring with awful deployment.

Dubas and his entire staff are f***ing morons. If you have analytics and other means to break down the usage and other issues on this team and you see that the issue is coaching and you blatantly ignore it because 8 seasons ago, this coach won back 2 back cups while heavily relying on Tocchet to help him fix his coaching issues, there's no fixing this team then.

I am not a fan of PDB as a coach, but you look at his bench management vs Sullivan and you see a coach that knows he has to spread his minutes out because of the veterans on his team and the youth vs a coach that feels he knows best with adjustments to players' game and style and some bizarre reasons for how he manages the bench where he will routinely throw out the 4th line in the worst situations and the Pens are hemmed in their own end and barely hang on to win or get taken to OT and lose in OT or in SOL's.

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
Excellent post! I disagree with most of it, but excellent post nonetheless. :)
That's fine, I am not here to have everyone agree with me, as long as they hear me out, all good with me mate.
I have no issue with Rakell. I think he is fine. You can put him at RW on line 1, at LW on line 1, at RW on line 2 or even have him lead a third scoring line. All good for me.
Rakell has been his best on Crosby's LW and has produced his best on Crosby's line, on Malkin's line he hasn't been a fit, the proper fit on Malkin's line with Bunting has always been Puustinen and Crosby's line NEEDS Rakell for the 2-way play he brings since Rust is allergic to it the last couple of seasons and Crosby needs help there more than blokes here want to admit. Rakell on that line also elevated that line defensively while still producing well offensively. The issue with Rakell was a lingering shoulder injury and even given that, he was producing at a 50pt rate after he came back from his injury. There is no issue with Rakell, other than blokes here manifesting it or having severe tunnel vision and judging him on the first dozen games where he was all goose eggs.
For me, I want to start training camp with the same first line that we had when last season ended. O'Connor-Crosby-Rust. Why? Because it is the best matchup line we can put together to go against the opposition's best. It can be our Barkov line. Crosby is not at that level of a defender (nobody is, aside from Jordan Staal) but he is also (still) a better offensive player than Barkov. O'Connor brings far more size and speed to the line, while Rust is Rust. I would take him off the Crosby line before O'Connor to insert Rakell, personally. But again, my thinking is to create two scoring lines BEHIND the Crosby unit. Rakell could play a big role in that.
O'Connor-Crosby-Rust had good moments, but defensively that is a line that isn't going to be great going forward and the progress Doc has made could be all for naught imo.

For example, DOC-Sid-Rust allowed more goals against than they scored, I am unaware if you know this or care about that stat, because the production itself isn't good enough to warrant keeping that as a unit because it's also one of the major issues that Jake-Sid-Rust had, which was better when Rakell was the RW on that line, but Sullivan has no clue how to utilize his own systems or ideas other than when he feels it's appropriate, it only matters to one line.

O'Connor has been far better in his 3rd line usage where he gains this momentum and then Sullivan pulls him up to Sid's line and he produces but that line also gets caved in defensively. This team is better when DOC is on the 3rd line and feasting on mismatches and providing secondary scoring that this team needs, especially with the idiotic minutes Sullivan provides the bottom 6.

Rakell is the best option for Line 1 and his production warrants it as well as his play away from the puck, what it does for Sid's line and the betterment of this team. I like DOC, but I also don't think it's a bad thing for him to be on the 3rd line where he has produced very well.

The issue actually is - Do you keep Rakell with Malkin and Bunting because that's also been pretty decent, or do you go with the better solution of keeping him with Sid and Rust where the team would benefit with Puustinen in Rakell's spot on the 2nd line and Rakell back with Crosby?

If Puustinen isn't the option for L2 because of whatever ignorance Sullivan has towards non-veteran players, then the combo of O'Connor and Puustinen has been strong, this is where a bloke like Roslovic would really elevate that into a proper scoring threat. It then means when you dump Smith, you need to find a new RW for that 2nd line or if you go back to Rakell on L2, you need a new L1 LW.

Eller should be the 4C, it's a bad sign if he's back to being 3C, as much as I have liked him back in his Habs days to being a thorn with the Caps, if he is anchoring the 4c role, the line-up is in a great spot. His smarts and game elevates that L4 into a line you can actually throw out there to forecheck and create chances and havoc as well as being smart defensively and actually be worthy of being out on the ice to hold leads.
I also have no issue with Gruden. I think he is part of the solution. I see him as maybe the 13th forward or possibly not making the team out of camp depending on performance, but I see him playing games for sure. I see more upside with guys like Poulin, Koivunen and even Puljujarvi for the bottom six, but Gruden is solid. And, if Sullivan insists that he cannot live without certain PKers, then I would rather Gruden over the likes of Acciari and Eller at this point. Those two should be dealt. So my only issue with Gruden is if we do NOT trade those guys. We are going to need more offense than what Gruden brings if those two also on the team. We certainly don't want to be in a position where we actually miss Jeff Carter's offensive contributions in 2024-25.
Gruden has 4th liner potential in a good way in that he plays that role very well. Quick, smart, defensively responsible, has some scoring touch, plays with an edge and is a pain in the ass to play against. There's no notion of "he could be a top 6 winger some day!" he's good for that role and there's nothing wrong with it.

Puljujarvi is a top 6 potential player that is rebounding (if he can) and is out of place on the 4th line, that's not who this team should be looking at for a mainstay on the 4th line but he can definitely elevate it with his game if he continues to trend the right way. Poulin to me is a project they need to walk away from. Sullivan is never going to find the correct usage for him and it's at a point where both sides need to walk away. Koivunen for the 4th line? Mike, Mike Sullivan, is that you? Get off the message board you wanker.

Jokes aside, Ville Koivunen is not someone you play on the 4th line, you play him in WBS, let him get his game to the point where it's painfully obvious he needs a call up and you do that when there's an opening in the top 9, plain and simple. Koivunen is not close to ready, he needs to play in WBS and get that experience.

If we roll into the season with a 4th line of - Gruden, Eller, Puljujarvi - I think I'm good with that. It has a bit of everything you want.

You dump Nieto and Acciari the moment you can or keep one of them as the 13th to rotate with Gruden, ideally we see neither Nieto nor Acciari here. Personally I would dump both and let Ponomarev, Gruden, Joshua (if signed), Koppanen all battle it out for that 4th line LW job and the 13th forward position. Nieto can be sent down to WBS and they'd be fine with his entire cap hit going away. Acciari they should move asap.

PS - Vellucci trusted Gruden far more than some of the veterans, to play on the PK, there's trust there in his game and abilities, I think for the L4 spot, he's what you want there because you know he's going to be the right bloke for that role and deployment. There's no sense of "we're wasting him on the 4th line!"

I wouldn't qualify Bemstrom.
I kinda understand (maybe) why you hate the Oilers. It seems to me lots of Pens fans do. I grew up a Gretzky-Lemieux fan, and then Jagr, and Paul Coffey was one of my favorite players even before he joined Mario and the Pens. So I root hard for them to beat the Florida frickin' Panthers. I am confused about one thing, though. Which city participating in the Cup final is more known for cocaine? Maybe I am stuck in the 80s, I suppose.
I might have been one of the few rare blokes that didn't like Gretzky at all.

I grew up a Mario Lemieux fan, like most lads that lived in Pittsburgh or old enough to watch him play. The other players outside of the typical favs from Pens fans (Jagr, Francis, Coffey, Stevens, Tocchet, etc) for me were players like Modano, Roenick (before we realized he was an absolute tosser as a person), Hawerchuk, Lafontaine, Fedorov, etc.

Oilers to me though, there's just this sense of entitlement, I will never forget interacting with that fan base when that Hemsky for Staal bs was a discussion, their ignorance towards the tanking, how they tried to relate to the Penguins situation all the while thumbing their nose at us because "we were gifted Crosby" etc, f*** them.

Also, Gretzky since retirement has turned into this epic twat of a bloke. His idiotic comments about so and so being great, etc. I mean at one point he was hyping Sam Gagner for having a good run that one year.

I mean it's frustrating talking about this team in a hopeful manner because the coaching staff is just an epic farce, but I just feel like there's some good there that they can go to, to make it less guess work and idiot proof.

Rakell/LW, Crosby, Rust
Bunting, Malkin, Puustinen/Rakell
O'Connor, 3C, Puustinen/Puljujarvi
Gruden/Koppanen/Nieto/Ponomarev, Eller, Puljujarvi/RW

Man, adding McGroarty to the pool would be a tremendous win this off-season.

If you can do Pickering + 2nd, you take best dman available with the other 2nd. You then hope to trade Jarry and get a young dman back.
The entire reason McGroarty might be available is because he didn't like how the Jets used veterans over their young players that were playing well and felt like they didn't really want to give youth that much of a shot.

Knowing what you know about this team, you really think McGroarty would welcome a trade to the Penguins, given that he's done enough research to know the issues of that veterans vs youth in Winnipeg, and actually sign?

I don't think he would. If he's smart enough to see that, he's smart enough to see the usage of youth in Pittsburgh.

Reactions: Jag68Sid87

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
Kinda calling the kettle black when the other team is from Miami
Visting Miami vs Edmonton, at least in Miami you don't really see it unless you really look for it. Edmonton? Go to any washroom at a club or bar or restaurant, there's blokes snorting the booger sugar off of the Dyson hand dryer asking "want a bump?" while you're waiting to dry your hands. Meanwhile, everywhere we went from Orlando to Miami the last few years, you'd basically need to ask for that because there's no sign of it in those same situations. Edmonton has a lot of what they call "Rig Pigs" that seem very enamored with that stuff, then the young crowd and what not. It's not new news, just ask Zack Kassian and Grant "Bustin' Rails" Fuhr.

Also living in BC mostly, I have been well educated on the issues of the white stuff flowing in from Alberta from H.A through the Okanagan and into the lower mainland. I myself have never tried it, don't plan to ever try it.

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
Yeah, the craziest thing is watching how this team continually talks about their speed game and you realize that they don't actually really even look at the product on ice, even when they're on the ice, lol.

Being a video guy for the Pens must be the easiest job outside of being a Pens PP coach.
The part that bothers me is that the team has quick players, but the system doesn't really allow them to utilize it as a weapon, instead they're too busy trying to force plays and then cheat up the ice or give up odd man rushes because the defense decides to pinch at the wrong time or rush up the ice without really much thought into it. It's why this team had so many odd man rushes the last few years. Sullivan wants the forward to force passes through Sid & Geno and then the cycle game is non existent, you dump but then your forward is so high up that by the time the player shoots the puck into the zone, there's already 2 defensemen there to get the puck and transition out while the Pens have all 3 forwards finally in trying to forecheck too late and the team is heading back on a 3 on 2 in the Pens end.

It's been like this for a few seasons, but Sullivan still feels this is the way. Like mate, I swear you could get no knee issue Pavel Bure in his prime and he'd look slow on the Penguins because of the system and style Sullivan wants the team to play.

Reactions: HandshakeLine

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
Sullivan is the reason the Dubas re-signed Jarry.

Finger on the pulse, as always, Mike.
Not true in the slightest, but I appreciate the attempt at the humor in Sullivan and the many problems he continues to cause.

I mean this is the coach that went over his GM and President's head and straight to the ownership to negotiate his own extension. This is the coach that with Sergei Gonchar in tow, made a case for why the Penguins can utilize Jack Johnson better in his system. This is the coach that openly beefed with Ian Cole, then caused a rift with Malkin and Kessel and prior to that misused Hagelin so much that JR chose Hagelin as the scapegoat in a deal in which he retained salary and then didn't know you couldn't bring him back. He also pissed off Malkin with his ice time, then talked about managing Letang's minutes but then never really did, also felt he knew how to play the position better than a 3x Norris Winner in Erik Karlsson. This is the same coach that when talking about his role as also developing young players, told a prospect the team drafted for his scoring prowess that he needs to pass first and be ready to play with a C that he never really had any interest to try him with and when he did and it looked good, punished the player with 4th line usage. OH, also the coach that took productive players, didn't care to understand their game and fit on the roster, used them how he felt they should play, saw them struggle, then get traded and bounce back. This is the coach that literally got his BFF hired as an Assistant, a Coach that was fired for basically doing the same shitty things Sullivan is guilty of as a coach, we now have as his right hand man.

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
View attachment 885690

I’m seein’ double here! 4 Sullys!
SullyQuinn.jpg

Reactions: Jacob

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
The conclusion to all of this (excellent stuff, HoG):

- Dubas needs to make moves in spite of Sullivan.
- Dubas needs to make sure Sullivan will play the younger guys.
- Dubas needs to take away Sullivan's toys. Most are gone, but some remain.

If you fill out the AHL roster with Marc Johnstone types, Sullivan probably won't jump at the chance to play them over Poulin, Gruden, Puustinen, Ponomarev, et al. If you sign more Matt Nieto, Jansen Harkins, Vinnie Hinostroza types, we are screwed!

The minor moves Dubas makes in the next week or so will speak volumes.

Reactions: Maninthebox87

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I think the point regarding Sullivan's track record of giving young players roles (or at least major roles) is an extremely valid point to mention regarding McGroarty. Even with his performance in the NCAA, I don't think Sullivan has really ever defaulted into playing a rookie in a significant role right out of the gate. Marino and Guentzel are probably the closest exceptions to doing that, but even in their cases, they were pretty damn sheltered at first when they came into the NHL.

With Marino, he was averaging under 17 minutes a night in his first 15-ish games and only jumped into a higher role after Letang got hurt. With Guentzel, he was playing only about 14 minutes a night and was bouncing around between Malkin's line and the 3rd line before he clicked with Crosby. Even if I think Sullivan's dislike of young players is overstated, I'm pretty certain that he wouldn't be offering McGroarty the kind of role he'd want out of the gate.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
The conclusion to all of this (excellent stuff, HoG):

- Dubas needs to make moves in spite of Sullivan.
- Dubas needs to make sure Sullivan will play the younger guys.
- Dubas needs to take away Sullivan's toys. Most are gone, but some remain.

If you fill out the AHL roster with Marc Johnstone types, Sullivan probably won't jump at the chance to play them over Poulin, Gruden, Puustinen, Ponomarev, et al. If you sign more Matt Nieto, Jansen Harkins, Vinnie Hinostroza types, we are screwed!

The minor moves Dubas makes in the next week or so will speak volumes.
I fully expect at least two trades between now and early July. Very likely to add a draft pick or two, a prospect and or player. I expect a fairly significant add to our mid 6 via trade or free agency as well as a quality depth forward.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I fully expect two trades between now and early July. Very likely to add a draft pick or two and either a prospect and or player. Also I expect a fairly significant add to our mid 6 as well as a quality depth forward.

I hope he strips the team down.

There is no hope for this squad with Mike Sullivan and David Quinn at the helm.

Every other team in our division is making moves to be competitive.

We are running back a roster that failed two years in a row and wasn't even close last year to making a playoff spot.

At this point, I'd be floating everyone's name out there with retention including EK65.

Be very interesting if Sid doesn't sign July 1st.

Reactions: Borgir

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I hope he strips the team down.

There is no hope for this squad with Mike Sullivan and David Quinn at the helm.

Every other team in our division is making moves to be competitive.

We are running back a roster that failed two years in a row and wasn't even close last year to making a playoff spot.

At this point, I'd be floating everyone's name out there with retention including EK65.

Be very interesting if Sid doesn't sign July 1st.
We're rebuilding while trying to appear competitive. I view the next couple of weeks as far more defining to our team than anything that happens with the on ice product in the RS.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
With the Michkov news now official. I think the Penguins are potentially finishing last in the Metro next year.

There’s still the BJ’s but they can potentially turn things around pretty quickly.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
There’s still the BJ’s but they can potentially turn things around pretty quickly.

I think the Jackets could be very good next year if they make the right moves.

Plus, look at Waddell did that first summer in Carolina. He's there to make them a playoff team and their prospect pool is incredible and many players are close to NHL ready.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad